The Membership Rewards program of American Express – the United States version – is offering transfer bonuses this September to twelve airline and hotel partners.
- Aer Lingus AerClub – 25% bonus
- Aeromexico Club Premier -20% bonus
- Air Canada Aeroplan – 15% bonus
- Air France-KLM Flying Blue – 25% bonus
- Avianca LifeMiles – 15% bonus
- British Airways Executive Club – 25% bonus
- Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles – 20% bonus
- Qantas Frequent Flyer – 20% bonus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club – 30% bonus
- Choice Privileges – 25% bonus
- Hilton Honors – 30% bonus
- Marriott Bonvoy – 20% bonus
When transferring points, make sure to double check that the bonus is reflected in the miles / points you would be receiving…
Which Partner to Choose?
Much of the value of “transferable points” comes from their flexibility. You do not need to move them into a specific loyalty program until you actually need them for a reward booking. Among other things, this helps you avoid devaluations and orphaned miles / points.
But that value proposition is tested when these transfer bonuses come along. Should you wait until you have travel plans to make? Or should you jump on the transfer bonus wile you can?
This September I would definitely consider:
- Avios (whether AerLingus or British Airways)
- Air France / KLM
The hotel programs do not provide sufficient value for your Amex points. Virgin Atlantic reward options are still too limited – at least while Japan remains closed to tourism. And LifeMiles can regularly be bought cheaply…
Transfer bonuses always make you wonder whether to convert now – and get 20+% more miles – or wait until you are actually planning award travel.
What would you choose? Let us know in the comments section…
Leave a Reply