Forum

Best VOIP solution ...
 
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Best VOIP solution for Android?  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
SirRagnar
(@sirragnar)
Silver

LarryInNYC, post: 1225218, member: 44255 wrote: My comments are not coming from experience, but rather from research.

Are you using Skype across WIFI on a Verizon phone?

Wifi, yes, but I don't have a verizon phone. My phone is not linked to any service provider. It sounds very intrusive if verizon have enforced such restrictions.

Going to Copenhagen (CPH)? Don't miss the tips for the Alternative Copenhagen

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 1:40 pm
Tenmoc
(@tenmoc)

HaveMilesWillTravel, post: 1224320, member: 648 wrote: Ah, and you can't install or use the non VZ-version of Skype on VZ Android devices?

This is not 100%.

Both are available. The VZ one is crippled. I have used skype overseas before from my android phones.

You need to install the regular skype onto you GN. It is a great phone and will do what you need. If for some reason you can't install the non vz app, there is a "work around" that allows you to install apps blocked by carrier from the market website.

There are other solutions as people have pointed out, but skype still works best for me.

I have a VZ galaxy nexus currently.

Virtuoso Travel Advisor. Please contact us if you are interested in working with Virtuoso.
Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini Club

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 2:32 pm
Tenmoc
(@tenmoc)

SirRagnar, post: 1225281, member: 900 wrote: Wifi, yes, but I don't have a verizon phone. My phone is not linked to any service provider. It sounds very intrusive if verizon have enforced such restrictions.

Originally VZ did.

Their version of skype came out first. Soon after (a couple of months) we got access to the regular version.

Now of course there is confusion with both being in the market.

Virtuoso Travel Advisor. Please contact us if you are interested in working with Virtuoso.
Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini Club

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 2:41 pm
Casey Friday
(@casey-friday)
Silver

I'll add my vote for Google Voice + Groove IP. I work as a web developer from home, so I'm almost always on a WiFi network, so I pretty much run my phone on Airplane mode all day with WiFi on. No cell signal necessary, and I make/receive calls over Groove IP/WiFi. I use Google Voice for text too, so all that's necessary is WiFi - no cell connection.

On a separate note, I'm parting with all Google products this week, as I'm super paranoid and freaked out about how much of my personal data Google has, so I'll be switching to a dumbphone, personal email, and no iPod Touch/smartphone.

RetroSonicFidelity - I build Audiophile iPods
And I build websites - Friday Next

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 2:43 pm
Laptop Nomad
(@laptop-nomad)
Silver

LarryInNYC, post: 1224277, member: 44255 wrote: Skype has a partnership with Verizon and their service offers limited or no usage over WIFI depending on where you are. For instance, I believe that within the US you can't use the product across WIFI at all.

I do not have Verizon, but I use skype all over the US on wifi. I use it in a lot of foreign countries as well. I do not know if Verizon would block it in the US as that would be a dumb move on their part.

gold

Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country…may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 3:29 pm
Dreamworks
(@dreamworks)

Casey Friday, post: 1225447, member: 180 wrote: I'll add my vote for Google Voice + Groove IP. I work as a web developer from home, so I'm almost always on a WiFi network, so I pretty much run my phone on Airplane mode all day with WiFi on. No cell signal necessary, and I make/receive calls over Groove IP/WiFi. I use Google Voice for text too, so all that's necessary is WiFi - no cell connection.

On a separate note, I'm parting with all Google products this week, as I'm super paranoid and freaked out about how much of my personal data Google has, so I'll be switching to a dumbphone, personal email, and no iPod Touch/smartphone.

Wow. That's a big step to take. Not sure if I could do that.


ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 3:31 pm
Tenmoc
(@tenmoc)

Laptop Nomad, post: 1225531, member: 7856 wrote: I do not have Verizon, but I use skype all over the US on wifi. I use it in a lot of foreign countries as well. I do not know if Verizon would block it in the US as that would be a dumb move on their part.

The VZ version grew out of VZ's fear that skype would steal all minutes for calls and they'd lose a revenue stream. So to counteract this, they broke the wifi connection for skype. You could not use the skype app over wifi to force you to still use your vz provided connection.

This of course only lasted a couple of months.

Virtuoso Travel Advisor. Please contact us if you are interested in working with Virtuoso.
Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini Club

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 3:33 pm
Casey Friday
(@casey-friday)
Silver

Dreamworks, post: 1225535, member: 45667 wrote: Wow. That's a big step to take. Not sure if I could do that.

I'll report back how it goes. I'm a web developer, so if I can do it, anybody can!

RetroSonicFidelity - I build Audiophile iPods
And I build websites - Friday Next

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2012 11:20 pm
Laptop Nomad
(@laptop-nomad)
Silver

Tenmoc, post: 1225539, member: 3476 wrote: The VZ version grew out of VZ's fear that skype would steal all minutes for calls and they'd lose a revenue stream. So to counteract this, they broke the wifi connection for skype. You could not use the skype app over wifi to force you to still use your vz provided connection.

This of course only lasted a couple of months.

How would one call skype to skype without WiFi? Of course this is Verizon what could one expect.

gold

Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country…may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 24, 2012 3:50 pm
Espan
(@espan)
Silver

A quick question, just to simplify things here: If someone has an unlocked international Android phone w/ no contract/US strings attached, working in Wi-Fi mode, Skype is peachy, right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2012 1:51 pm
Laptop Nomad
(@laptop-nomad)
Silver

Espan, post: 1235257, member: 41423 wrote: A quick question, just to simplify things here: If someone has an unlocked international Android phone w/ no contract/US strings attached, working in Wi-Fi mode, Skype is peachy, right?

Yes, Just download the skype app. I use it all over the world as I have a US subscription.

gold

Freedom of movement across frontiers in either direction, and inside frontiers as well, was a part of our heritage. Travel abroad, like travel within the country…may be as close to the heart of the individual as the choice of what he eats, or wears, or reads. Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2012 2:38 pm
Tenmoc
(@tenmoc)

Laptop Nomad, post: 1233305, member: 7856 wrote: How would one call skype to skype without WiFi? Of course this is Verizon what could one expect.

the vz version of skype you must be on 3g/lte. but there is nothing stoppig you from using the non vz version to connect to wifi and skype

Virtuoso Travel Advisor. Please contact us if you are interested in working with Virtuoso.
Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini Club

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2012 7:24 pm
ChyrillStucker
(@chyrillstucker)

Hello Larry,

A lot of people suggest skype or google voice majorly because these are old players in the market. I would like to suggest you a different application provider TheRealPBX, they just charge very minimal setup/installation charges and you just have to pay for the call charges which are almost 50% lesser than what these big guns of the market actually charge.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 10, 2012 10:06 am
cliq
 cliq
(@cliq)
Silver

Bria & Acrobits are vey good sip clients on the Android platform 🙂 Acrobits will allow you to input account details for huge range of VoIP operators and also allow voice via connected bluetooth earpiece 😀 Same with CSipSimple but I prefer both Bria & Acrobits.

GrooveIP is good too if you are working with mostly Google Voice and yes Google Voice is good only if you call the US all the time. There are the Betamax clones too that offer free calls to several countries + the USA. One just need the SIP settings and drop them into any of those apps I mentioned. You could also use Callcentric to place unlimited calls to the US for a small fee anywhere in the world and also use Callcentric to work a DID for you anywhere you are in this world.

Skype is just another piece of crap floating the cyberspace... why settle for a closed network when you can use an open system without limitations? If Skype would adopt SIP, I will smile at them... until then, it is just a resource sucker for every device it runs on 🙂

There are loads of VoIP providers out there with reasonable prices or even for free US calls and working with SIP protocol which makes it easy to install and use on any SIP client wherever in the world you are... I take my Android device anywhere I make cheap "international" calls using any of these apps without paying a dime to the huge monsters! 😀

Nothing is as good as being free and being able to call anywhere for cheap and even have local (geographical DIDs) for people to reach you on wherever you are - This is a discussion for another day 😀

| | | 1st Gold Gold |Club Gold|

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 10, 2012 12:21 pm
dogpaw
(@dogpaw)

All [Android] voip apps [including the built in one in gingerbread] shut down and will not work in airplane. Even if you have no service, you must still leave the microwave brain burner on or the app shuts down. If they won't work in airplane...with wifi enabled then they are all useless...which is the answer. You need an iphone app that works right...sorry!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2012 10:58 pm
Page 2 / 3