Forum

Cabin laptop ban fo...

Share:
Notifications

Cabin laptop ban for flights from Europe to USA coming Thursday May 11, 2017?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
mre5765
(@mre5765)
Silver

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/10/u-s-to-ban-laptops-in-all-cabins-of-flights-from-europe

The Department of Homeland Security plans to ban laptops in the cabins of all flights from Europe to the United States, European security officials told The Daily Beast. The announcement is expected Thursday.

Executive Platinum Lifetime Premier Gold Gold Gold

Posted : May 10, 2017 8:18 pm
newbluesea
(@newbluesea)

Jesus... what about cellphones and Apple watches?:rolleyes:
Soon these clowns will be banning people from flights.... we have become a nation of pussies with baboons in charge.
God (assuming you believe in him) help us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2017 8:41 pm
YULtide
(@yultide)

On the bright side, you won't have to take your laptop out at security anymore. 😀

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2017 11:06 pm
WilliamQ
(@williamq)

Guess airport theft / damage claims against carriers might potentially increase.
Now a delayed luggage is no longer just getting new clothes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 4:31 am
newbluesea
(@newbluesea)

WilliamQ, post: 2789633, member: 142169 wrote: Guess airport theft / damage claims against carriers might potentially increase.
Now a delayed luggage is no longer just getting new clothes.

Except that for the most part airline luggage policies do not cover electronics.
They lose your luggage with a laptop you're screwed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 11:50 am
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

I suppose that means it is time to go back to paper flip-books, such as we used to use for giving technical presentations. It's either that or overhead-projector transparencies.

Darn good thing that I never gave up on using my Filofax!

Nature abhors straight lines, and is not the artifice of a cosmic draftsman.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 1:51 pm
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

DHS says no announcement today.
[MEDIA=twitter]862669474188718081[/MEDIA]

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 2:07 pm
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Wandering Aramean, post: 2789668, member: 23 wrote: DHS says no announcement today.

Thanks for keeping us posted! Much obliged, I am.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 6:26 pm
YULtide
(@yultide)

Wandering Aramean, post: 2789668, member: 23 wrote: DHS says no announcement today.

I love it when people announce that they won't be announcing anything. We await the announcement of a further announcement.

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 8:21 pm
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Well, it adds to that much-vaunted aura of unpredictability.

I would, however, be deeply frosted if a computer ban comes in force during the middle of a business trip. I do not have the resources to buy a new machine at the end of every journey, nor do I expect my business contacts to furnish me, upon demand, with access to a loaner machine.

Shaking my head, because after all, I am supposed to be retired, and the whole point of retirement is to not have to take business trips any more. (I suspect that I had recently forgotten that point, but that's another story....)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 8:36 pm
mre5765
(@mre5765)
Silver

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/12/heres-how-the-laptop-ban-works-on-flights-to-the-us/

Based the description, I'm not too worried about laptop bans. These days, I rarely use my laptop on long hauls. If I've scored business class, I prefer to sleep. If I am in coach, there's no room to use it.

Executive Platinum Lifetime Premier Gold Gold Gold

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2017 2:42 pm
HaveMilesWillTravel
(@havemileswilltravel)

mre5765, post: 2790023, member: 137418 wrote: https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/12/heres-how-the-laptop-ban-works-on-flights-to-the-us/

Based the description, I'm not too worried about laptop bans. These days, I rarely use my laptop on long hauls. If I've scored business class, I prefer to sleep. If I am in coach, there's no room to use it.

The problem is that it is likely a misnomer and and would ban other electronics incl. cameras and tablets.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I will certainly NOT drink Bud Light.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2017 6:23 pm
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Risks of theft and damage are, in my view, unacceptably high.

I am beginning to wonder whether the best approach might indeed be to keep identical (or nearly-so) equipment and the ends of my usual commutes, and simply plan to shuttle a set of backup drives between them.

For reasons of confidentiality and stability, I am not at all sure that backing files up to `the cloud` is the answer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2017 12:42 am
Canarsie
(@canarsie)

US and EU reject expanding laptop ban to flights from Europe

“US and EU officials have decided against a ban on laptops and tablets in cabin baggage on flights from Europe.

“But after a four-hour meeting in Brussels to discuss the threats to aviation security, officials said other measures were still being considered.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2017 5:12 am
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

There are many sources suggesting that the ban being "off the table" is just a delay in implementation, not a true scrapping of the plans. In other words, more uncertainty and confusion for the weeks ahead.

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2017 12:30 pm
Page 1 / 2