ZRH United Transfer Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pizzaman, Feb 29, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's been over 10 years since I connected at ZRH, though I've arrived/departed there more recently. I'm booking a trip for a family friend who doesn't have a ton of experience with international travel but has basic knowledge.

I'm looking at an itinerary for her that's a 90-minute connection from a LH puddle jumper arriving from MUC to a UA flight bound for IAD. If it was Heathrow I wouldn't even attempt it for an unexperienced traveler. Wondering what folks here with experience on the distance between these two Star Alliance carriers think?

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The transfer is a small train like DFW AeroLink, and a few escalators. 5-10 minutes tops. Your friend will spend more time waiting to get the little security sticker on his passport when he gets to the UA gate than he'll spend transiting to the gate.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wont there be passport clearance at ZRH (exiting EU),?

Garp74 likes this.
  4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you're right. I had forgotten about that because it was so unremarkable when I did it in December. There was no line and it took 30 seconds.

Dublin_rfk and snod08 like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, guys. BTW, Garp, it's Gabby.

6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did this recently too, and agree with Garp that it's easy.

Just keep an eye out for the escalator/trams for "connecting" flights rather than airport exit/baggage claim. There are walls set up in the aero-link like transfer stations, where they keep cars/people separate for connecting + not-connecting passengers. Ample signage in English everywhere, so as long as she's semi-aware if her surroundings and not simply following a herd out of the airport, she'll be fine. Really easy --1000x easier than navigating around IAD. :)

Pizzaman, Dublin_rfk and Garp74 like this.