ZRH layover/lounge advice question

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by adambadam, Sep 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am flying USA-ZRH-TLV and back in J. Chose LX for the real J seat on the TLV leg. My layovers in ZRH though are 3 hours and 5 hours. Will I be stuck in the intercontinental terminal this whole time or should I look at trying to get out to some of the other lounges or to do anything else in that timeframe? I am *G too if it matters.

2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't be certain but I think you might need to go through passport control to leave the intercontinental terminal. But the Senator lounge on the other side is much better than the Panorama lounge you're otherwise stuck with.

That said, 5 hours is loads of time to grab a train into the city and enjoy a stroll, have a meal, see some sights. The train is inexpensive, fast and frequent, and seeing a bit of Zurich would be the best option by far with that much time. 3 hours might be a bit short to see very much.

kiwi and adambadam like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes you can visit the other lounge but will need to clear immigration (twice). It only takes a couple of minutes including the short train ride from the satellite terminal.

YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...

"Purpose of visit?"

"Use a better lounge." :)

adambadam and LarryInNYC like this.
  5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

I've used that line before, in FRA before FCL B nonschengen opened.

YULtide likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. I've also used, "I need to speak to an agent at the ticket counter" and "I need to go back to the lounge because they announced the 2 hour delay after I got to the gate." The agents rarely care.

YULtide and kiwi like this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I agree it could be tough to get a whole lot done in 3 hours leaving ZRH. There's not a ton to do at ZRH. If it were me I'd probably get 30 minutes of walking around the terminal in to stretch my legs then go hang in the Senator lounge.

Seacarl likes this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do the same. Passport check is a piece of cake, so no problem entering Schenghen and the Senator Lounge

9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the advice. Trip is in a couple weeks, so I will be sure to update with what I did and what worked/didn't work.