Zidisha

Discussion in 'Zidisha | Fostering Peer2Peer Entrepreneurship' started by KyRoamer, Jan 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a different experience, join the milepoint team at Zidisha. It is much smaller than Kiva and riskier IMO although so far no losses. Right now it only has 14 active loans and they pay interest at between 0 and 7%. It is only in a couple of countries right now but is fun in that itswrite-ups are more detailed and most loans are just 12 months. I have asked Randy to create a Zidisha sub-forum as we do not want to dilute our Kiva efforts. The Zidisha milepoint team is at https://www.zidisha.org/index.php?p=82&gid=38 and is off to a great start.

It is a perfect place for those of you unhappy with Kiva. Please join with me.

zphelj, tondoleo, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    We now have five members on our team and are approaching $10,000. Please join and add a loan or two.

tondoleo, fcjapan, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just joined and made my first two loans.

tondoleo, KyRoamer, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Zidisha milepoint team is now at nine members. Join us and make it 10, 20, 100 .... guess I got carried away but it could happen..

Like Kiva Zip but safer (so far!!!) borrowers cost is between 5 and 20%, most under 12%, fees and interest included. This is direct person to person lending. Zidisha is lean and effective with just one employee and the rest volunteers.

Zidisha lets you earn interest if you want. Its borrowers are almost always in for just a year. So you get lots of action on your dollars. You can loan in small or large amounts without being tied to multiples of $25.

Check it out at Zidisha.org. Then join and join the milepoint team. Then enjoy.

tondoleo, fcjapan and jbcarioca like this.
  5. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully he'll agree to do that. Having a thread under Kiva is not ideal.

Signed up tonight but I'm still reading the FAQ and pondering next steps. Looks like I'm lucky number #10 on the team :)

6. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've offered to make a new money $25 Kiva loan (limit $200) for each new Zidisha member who makes a loan and joins the milepoint team. When you have funded your first loan, let me know.

Right now Kiva pickings are slim. Just 17 female loans available and under 150 male. Many of those available have long repayment terms or other issues affecting their popularity. Wonder when Kiva will post more loans?

This promotion is over. Take advantage of the March iPad Mini promotion and and win one of the two to be awarded.

7. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm not really looking for a return on any of this other than the positive feeling I get paying it forward. Heck, I don't even bother to read things like Kiva repayment terms :) However, I am interested in making what I can do count and it appears that Zidisha needs less overhead to get money out to those who are asking and if nothing else it's an interesting approach. Happy to help in in this small way.

For now, I'm going to put a small amount on loans that are expiring soon and not 100% funded yet. I'm not sure what to do about interest rates yet. I like the idea of charging something but how to choose? Oh well, it will sort itself out.

Thank you for your generous offer of Kiva matches. I just went in for $40 on Charles to take him to 100% so please go ahead and match in whatever maner you see fit!

Update: Several loans are showing 0% funded, always in French I believe. I'm guessing translation is a barrier?

tondoleo, KyRoamer, fcjapan and 2 others like this.
  8. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your Zidisha loans. I just loaned $25 in new money to Aminjon (http://www.kiva.org/lend/512601) from Tajikstan to repair his taxi. He has until the 28th to get funded and is already at over 70%.

9. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed the same thing. Fortunately I'm fluent in french, but with google translate there's little worry either way. I'll likely sign up when I get a free moment in front of the computer this week.

Aminjon is fully funded. Only 96 loans left on Kiva.

10. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    fcjapan and jbcarioca like this.
  12. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    And into second place we go... :)

tondoleo, KyRoamer and jbcarioca like this.
  13. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received this email from a borrower who took a one-month grace period for repayment.
    What do you reckon?
    Is it better not to make Kenyan loans until the election dust settles?

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am torn, but I'd suggest proceeding as usual. This election is more difficult than usual because of the issue of women and the constitutional mandate that is detested by the mysoginists. All the other problems continue, of course. Were we intending to minimize risk we'd not be lending this was anyway, would we?

KyRoamer and fcjapan like this.
  15. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're in for the long-haul I'd say full steam ahead.

fcjapan and jbcarioca like this.
  16. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bunch of new loans from Niger.

I have a deep-seated hatred for all caps.
    I feel like I am getting yelled at in French.:)
    Do I capitulate and lend anyway? :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    JE PENSE QUE OUI.

jbcarioca and fcjapan like this.
  18. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dangjr213, zphelj and jbcarioca like this.
  19. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    zphelj, jbcarioca and fcjapan like this.
  20. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. Julia Kurnia

Julia Kurnia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear fcjapan and mtlfire,

Thanks so much for alerting us to this. It seems the applicant uploaded this image instead of an original photo, perhaps because he did not have a camera, or because he did not want a picture of himself to display on the internet (we have had several members with this concern). We will ask him to replace it with an original picture of himself, if he desires to continue to participate.

Best regards,

Julia

misman, fcjapan and jbcarioca like this.
  22. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:

I can understand that some cultures, or people might have issues with having their photo on-line. In that case, I'd rather just see no photo with an explanation. It can otherwise (in the least) affect the credibility of the loan or (at most), the credibility of Zidisha.

Thanks for the quick response.

zphelj and fcjapan like this.
  23. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a nice middle ground. Not allowing them to participate over this is too extreme yet I think requiring a brief explanation would be reasonable.

24. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:

Exactly. Otherwise I'd worry that if the photo isn't honest on the profile, what else isn't? Becomes to easy to just simply move to another loan.

Although I notice in this case that it didn't seem to bother many people -- it was fully funded lol.

25. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there some secret to finding loans on Zidisha? Every time I go to look the "fundraising" category is full of loans that are already 100% raised. Tonight there are only 3 loans fundraising. Other times I have looked it's about the same. Is Zidisha this small or is there some secret as to when loans post?

fcjapan likes this.