Z-Ocean Hotel Crowne Plaza South Beach Miami

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by DJP_707, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:

- What is your Priority Club status?
    Platinum - Ambassador
    - Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
    Yes very much so.
    - Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
    Booked on Priority Club points, standard suite was only choice, upon check in was upgraded to a Full corner suite with Side ocean view and pool view. (Inquired about roof top Jacuzzi suite and told none were available, busy week due to South beach food and wine festival)
    - How are the rooms?
    Full king bed with lots of pillows (6), sitting area, very nice furnishing, 2 lcd 32” TV’s, Bose sound system including speakers in Bath\changing area. Sofa opens to sleeper, full closet Minibar area with Sink, fridge, espresso maker, etc… All furnishing look new and high class, sliding glass door to large balcony with two lounge chairs, dining table and chairs. Super large shower 6 shower heads/jets sitting bench, porthole window with ocean view.
    - How is the exec. lounge?
    No lounge.
    - What was good and what was bad?
    -Good- Greeted at front of hotel, valet took car, bellman secured luggage and delivered to room. Front desk check in was very quick (3 people working desk), thoroughly explained that as a PC platinum member I was being upgraded to a larger suite with a view, was getting free internet access, and that the resort fee of $21 per day would be covered by Priority Club and would be no charge to me (reading previous reviews here I was surprised, and was expecting to pay this fee). Room had floor to ceiling glass on two sides. Slider to patio, room was very quiet due to be end corner unit. Shower was awesome, very large and as mentioned 2 shower heads and 4 wall spray jets. First night during dinner turndown service left very nice box of chocolates, with personalized welcome letter which mentioned “as an IHG ambassador we welcome you’re choosing to stay with us”. Turn down also changed out towels, laid out slippers and robes. The AC unit was very quiet. Morning newspaper each day, and twice daily maid service with turndown and chocolates each night of our four night stay. Hotel had security patrols throughout day and Key card was needed to access the elevator and you can only access your floor. On check out day when I called to get car from valet, they offered and sent bellman to get our bags. Copy of hotel bill was left under door in the morning of checkout, all charges were as explained including free resort fee’s and free internet. I really have no complaint what so ever our stay was pretty much flawless. We did eat at the restaurant, and had cocktails in the open air lounge area both were very good. We did not use the fitness center which only had limited treadmills and bikes. The pool area and bar was nice, the staff were helpful in fixing up chairs and laying out towels. The beach is a short five minute walk out the back of the hotel and across the street, where you give you room number and the attendant sets up your chairs, pads, umbrellas, and give you towels. (The attendant is from a private company, I assume they get some portion of the $21.00 resort fee for putting out chairs and towels)

-Bad- Floor to ceiling windows let in light thru curtains early morning, end unit was a long walk from elevator (neither of which is a real complaint) You would never know this was a crowne plaza except for the Priority Club sign on the front desk, no mention anywhere else in the hotel.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
    Normal price was over $400 per night for the days I stayed so 25K points for a $400 room seemed like a great value to me. Would I pay $400 cash to stay here? Maybe the rooms were very nice, location was awesome, staff was very friendly and helpful, and when checking other area hotels price seemed to be inline.

Click here to view hotel stay pictures!

Clocktower, stimpy and sobore like this.
  2. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pictures from stay are now available here!

stimpy and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the pics, always appreciated, & I was pleased to see the South Beach Scenery, it isn't hard to take:D We just made reservations for next Jan.

One thing that I didn't like from your photos was the pool area, it doesn't look very large and it would seem that only certain parts of the pool deck would get sun. can you confirm? Seems like the beach is the place to go to sun worship.

4. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much for the review. I have a booking for early May, both at the Z and the W. I haven't been sure which one to stay at, but your review helps. I guess it is close to most of the SoBe clubs and restaurants?

5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want sun then the beach is definitely the place to go. And it's only like a five minute walk, out the back of the hotel and across the street, past the Starbucks and onto the beach. We had breakfast on the balcony, and the sun was nice. The pool is best during mid day, but that would change at different time of the year with he angle of the sun. But you are correct the pool can be shady and blocked by the building. I would of liked to see the roof top suites, but we never met anyone staying in one, and the room keys don't even allow access to any other floor except the one you are staying on.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    which property did you choose? comments if you stayed at the Z would be appreciated (as I have a stay coming up shortly)

7. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I chose the Z. It's far and away the best points value of any CP or HI, and ditto if comparing to points at the W.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:

Platinum
    Yes very much so.
    Booked on Priority Club points, standard suite was only choice, upon check in was upgraded to a Collins Ave View Rooftop Suite. My parents were upgraded to a Pool Lanai Miami Suite
    - How are the rooms?
    The rooms are great. My Dad said that the only problem was that the rooms was so nice that he felt guilty not spending more time in the room.
    There is no lounge. My sister and Dad watched football in the outside bar. They had areas set with sofa's and chairs.
    -Good- The front desk clerk informed us that we had both been upgraded (both reservations in my name). They told us that if we wanted the hot tub filled, to just ring down and let them know. Biggest shower I have seen. We were there at the middle of December, so it was very quiet.
    -Bad- You could hear the trucks on Collins Ave in the morning. Doesn't bother me, but might bother some people. $32/day for valet parking. Priority Visa also did not recognize this as a hotel bill, so did not give 5x points. I have yet to follow up with Chase.
    Yes, paid cash+points for both rooms. If I wanted to be on South Beach, this is a fantastic property and worth the points.

uggboy likes this.
  9. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome that you got such a nice upgrade, and glad to hear this place is still as it was last year I hope to return soon. But I'm pretty sure with the new rewards structure this hotel will be increasing in points for rewards.

KathInJax likes this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    was your stay over a weekend or during the week? (BTW, thanks for the review)

11. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a Sunday night and you're welcome!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Platinum – Royal Ambassador
    Yes for the most part
    Booked two rooms with Priority Club points, both rooms in my name, upon check in, status was acknowledged but no upgrades given for either room. This was a weekend stay so perhaps that had something to do with it? We were given 2 rooms on the Ocean Drive side of the hotel.
    - How are the rooms?
    Very comfortable as described already. We really liked the LARGE balcony with table & 4 chairs as well as 2 chaise lounge chairs. While one would think that the floor to ceiling windows would let in light, we found the blackout curtains to be acceptable.
    No lounge.
    -Good- Front desk check in was very quick (3 people working desk), it was explained that as a PC platinum member I was getting free internet access, and that theresort fee of $21 per day would not be charged. Our rooms were not ready so we were given 2 drink coupons (one for me & Mrs Sweet Willie), when I explained that we had two rooms & our friend’s room also was not ready, we were given another 2. So a free drink was a nice way to start our Z hotel experience.

First night during dinner turndown service left very nice box of 4 chocolates, with personalized welcome letter which mentioned “as an IHG ambassador we welcome you’re choosing to stay with us”. Turn down also changed out towels, laid out slippers and robes. The AC unit was a bit noisy but is located far away from the bed so noise was not a big issue. The AC wind sound also drowned out any street noise, so that was a plus. We kept the do not disturb light illuminated the remainder of our stay as we not want to keep getting those bad bad chocolates.

Location we thought was great. There are many liquor stores (one right to the south of the hotel) so that one can purchase cheap booze for the room & beach.

-Bad- Both pool & beach attendants have very crappy attitudes and offer minimal if any service. The pool attendant was asleep on the bar chairs and I thought he was a guest from the hotel. After he woke up he then turned on his laptop & proceeded to go online & NEVER came out for a drink order or any type of service. The beach attendant was not much better, upon asking for our chairs to be placed near the water, he protested saying he was the only one on duty and that he didn’t want to spread the chairs out far away from the booth. I told him it isn’t his choice and to do what we asked.

The concierge was helpful but didn’t know what Jai Alai was, (really ??!!), he also was familiar with pop/hype things oriented with South Beach but had no clue about long time Miami favorites such as Garcia’s www.garciasseafoodgrill.com so I didn’t have much confidence in his ability.

Valet is $34, thankfully we only had one night worth of valet. I despise paying for parking and there is no self park option at this property.

The pool does not get all that much sun (at least in Jan when we went), as the day is short so the sun isn't hanging over the pool area. Folks with rooms right on the pool area were trying to claim the entire area in front of their room all the way to the pool as 'theirs', a couple in front of one room agreed and moved, the couple in front of another room (but as close as they could be to the pool) told the 'room couple' to go pound sand (rightly so IMO). So if you don't want to be in front of a room, this leaves a small area (6-8 chairs worth) of crammed space that gets sun at this time of year. By 1pm, the entire area by the hot tube side of the pool patio was in the shade of the hotel.

I’ll agree with previous posters, the normal price was over $400 per night for the days I stayed so 25K points for a $400 room seemed like a great value to me. Would I pay $400 cash to stay here? No

KathInJax likes this.
  13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice hotel. Stayed there last year. I'm PL, got an UG to a room with jacuzzi. Paid with points. No amenities charge (beach access, towels) since the stay was an Award Stay.

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    my nephew & his new bride will be honeymooning at this property in Nov.

any recent experiences?

15. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I was there mid-August. It is the same as ever, nothing new I saw.

Sweet Willie likes this.