Z fare changes and validity questions

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by harry0233, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found a fantastic Z fare ( will disclose later[​IMG]). However, I'm really confused about the restrictions for Z fare.
    Based on the fare rules, changes and cancellation are allowed at any time. However, United rep said generally it will cost me $500 to make changes. However, the fare rules don't mention anything about the change fees, nor the fare rules say anything about ticket validity period.

My question is:

Should I assume the ticket validity period is 1 year from the booking date?

Should I trust in the fare rules or the rep?

assumed the ticket expires in 1 year, Is it possible to change my return flight to a date beyond the expiration date?

Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of any other rules, the answer to this one is nearly always "no." I'd say always because I've never seen an exceptoin but I suppose there might be one somewhere out there. I just wouldn't expect to find it.

3. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd, as I looked up some Z fare rules and all have a change fee ($400)

Oh and how excellent?

Skyvillager likes this.
  4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had some Z fares that allowed changes/cancellation free on AC. Usually there is a penalty but if so it should be stated in the conditions.

5. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    about 10cpm for 25k EQM(including Z fare bonus), UA metal. However, not many people will be willing to take a positioning flight though.

I probably will book it and then call United to make sure there's no change fee. if yes then I will cancel the ticket within 24hrs