YYZ terminals

Discussion in 'YYZ/YTZ | Toronto Area Airports' started by Terry Quinn, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. YYZ, pearson Airport, consists of 2 terminals, one and three. T2 was torn down and will be replaced by a new T1 pod eventually.

There is a Sheraton Hotel on the property opposite T3 but reachable from T1 by the airport tram.

T1 is used primarily for *A although both Etihad and Emirates are there also. I beleive Alitalia is in T1 also. Almost everyone else is at T3 but bear in mind there is some movement of carriers between T1 and 3.

YTZ is the home of Porter airlines and is just off the downtown core at the Toronto Island airport called Billy Bishop .

East_Yorker and DanJ like this.
  2. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jet Airways is also in T1

East_Yorker likes this.
  3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Waiting for luggage in YYZ, either T1 or T3 can be brutal.

East_Yorker likes this.
  4. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    All terminals and concourses have Airport common use (PAYG) lounges except USA departures in T3, which only has a AA lounge.

In detail, lounges in YYZ are:

3x Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge (*A): Terminal 1 Domestic, Transborder, International
    1x British Airways Galleries (OW): Terminal 3 Domestic/International (the old Canadian lounge space)
    1x KLM Crown Lounge (ST): Terminal 3 International
    1x American Airlines Admiral's Club (OW): Terminal 3 USA (Priority Pass + AMEX Plat on AA flights)
    5x Plaza Premium Lounge (contract lounge): Terminal 1 Domestic, Transborder, International; Terminal 3 Domestic, International (Priority Pass + AMEX Plat)

East_Yorker likes this.
  5. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. But I find at T1, at least, it is physically a nice space. Open, airy. Not the low ceilinged hell of T3. Now if the could just turn down the TVs...

East_Yorker likes this.
  6. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying Continental out of YYZ for the first time later this month. It's YYZ-EWR and looks like it usually flies out of the mid-200 gates from Terminal 1. I haven't been down to that end of the terminal, the Pearson website maps doesn't actually show the gates, just says "Gate 193 extension to gates 200-299" Anyone have any info on these gates?

East_Yorker likes this.
  7. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    it is where the USA pier will go (eventually). Ground level shed with very limited seating and facilities. Go there at the last possible minute. If you have access, go to the Plaza Premium lounge (AMEX Plat / Priority Pass). You can see the 200 gates from there, and will see your plane come in. I wait until it arrives to make my way over.

East_Yorker and CdnTraveller like this.
  8. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. We'll probably be using the Transborder MLL. I've been looking at past flight stats on our flight and it looks like it almost NEVER goes off on time. :( The only upside is that our connection at EWR (EWR-RIC) is never on time either. Looks like it's going to be a very very long day. :eek:

East_Yorker likes this.
  9. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never know, the RIC flights are often on the Q400s, so you may be on the same plane all the way...

East_Yorker likes this.
  10. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    **fingers crossed** -- especially since we don't have any lounge access at EWR.

East_Yorker likes this.
  11. briantoronto
    Original Member

briantoronto Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go to the Continental board here, or on *cough* FT *cough* there is a list of people willing to guest people into the clubs...

East_Yorker, 2MM_Guy and CdnTraveller like this.
  12. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope your "cough" gets better! ;)

East_Yorker likes this.
  13. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    YYZ has an uncommon rental car setup where each terminal has it's own rental car facility so it is important to enter your fight information to make sure your reservation is in the right location. (Esp with Hertz and their gold board)

briantoronto and East_Yorker like this.
  14. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Arriving CX from HKG and going to EWR on AC. Presume I have to transfer terminals. How difficult is this?

15. You do change terminals from T3 to T1. The transfer is by monorail just outside T3, is pretty simple and takes a few minutes once you are outside customs. At T2 you will preclear US cusotms and immigration and go through security. You will have any checked baggage with you and dump it onto the belt once you are through US formalities. After that is the security check. Depending on when you land both Canadian cusotms and US preclearance can be firghtfully busy although generally not both at the same time. Rush hours for US preclearance are generally from 6AM to 9AM weekdays and to a certain degree in the late afternoon. Canada cusotms at T3 can be a zoo if there are a lot of arrivals at the same time. If you see the line up is quite long and your connection time short talk to a cusotms agent with your forward BP in hand and you might get pushed up the line faster.

It appears that CX flights arrive at T3 either at 1350 or 2020 on the non stops. Noehter of those times are particularly busy at T1 but the later flight arrival could be a busy time at at CDN customs in T3.

I would recommend flying AC all the way if possible with that connection as AC will be helpful in getting you through on a tight connection

East_Yorker likes this.
  16. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much for all the info. I purposely booked the AC flights (coming up from LGA and going back to EWR) with big cushions (2 hrs plus) so I don't anticipate having to run. Since we are flying CX F, i think I'll stick with that instead of switching over to AC ;-)

East_Yorker likes this.
  17. I would not change CX F for AC J either....good luck with the transfer between terminals. You should be ok.

East_Yorker likes this.
  18. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the particular day you are arriving, you may be extremely tight on time, as the US customs line can be pretty bad where it is 45 minutes to clear customs, before even getting to security (usually starts getting bad at 1400 for the afternoon rush).

East_Yorker likes this.
  19. mikeechokilo

mikeechokilo New Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I work in Terminal 3 at YYZ and everytime I try to write something small it keeps ballooning into a huge essay. So rather than make a gigantic post, if you have any questions about of the layout, connections, where to eat, mobility services, distances and times, that I can pretty much give you an answer.