YYZ-MNL - who would you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by chef4u, Apr 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually flying YYZ-RXS, but for all intents and purposes, I'm more concerned about the YYZ-MNL leg. I'm will be flying on a US government fare, so I think that might rule out any AC flights. So....UA, DL or AA...anyone care to share experiences and/or recommendations? By chance can I parlay this into a status challenge. As always, thanks for helping!

2. MrB34N

MrB34N Active Member

Status Points:
    So I'm assuming they cover the cost of the ticket as well for Business Class travel ? I would have to go with Delta

3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every time I've flown on a Government/Military fare it's been economy. Are you telling me something I should know/ask about? Just curious why you recommend Delta?

4. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may depend on your agency. In my agency we now have to have "permission" documented to purchase a business class fare. There was one case that I found a business class ticket that was cheaper than the economy but I did not want to go through the hassle to get it approved. It is a pretty high up approval. Maybe even Division head. I think they don't want people saying X organization is using tax payer dollars to fly business class. In the old days it was based on how long you had to fly.

5. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:

LAM...what branch/agency? I will be traveling on invitational orders from the Navy. On past trips, everything has been done by SATO, with little or no input on my part. Any tricks that you can share are greatly appreciated.

6. MrB34N

MrB34N Active Member

Status Points:
    My brother works for the U.N. and if his flights are longer than 4 hrs they automatically book him a business class cabin. Not sure if its the same for you. As for recommending Delta ... I think they are the best US based carrier based on service / efficiency and equipment used. Just a personal preference. :)

7. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. In my past travels, on 4 hr + trips, business wasn't an option on a Navy/Government fare. Maybe they will take pity on me and upgrade me. It 27+ hrs and 4 flights to get where I need to go.

8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am at a non DOD agency. I know their rules can be very different than ours. We our encouraged to book online with SATO as it is about $25 cheaper than to talk to a representative. Now SATO will not book a business fare for us without proof of the approval.
    Your best hope may be to book economy and pay out of pocket for E+ if it is available.
    You may be on a foreign carrier if it is a code share. I flew part of the way home from India for work on Lufthansa as it was the code share for United who had the city pair contract. I would guess especially your final flight to your destination would be on a foreign carrier.