YVR: A Model of Inefficiency

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Captain Oveur, Jul 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    YVR is probably one of the worst Canadian airports in terms of being efficient in terms of security. I say that both for domestic and U.S-bound checkpoints. I wish they would stop putting so much effort in trying to look nice in the uniforms and airport decor and spend about 10 minutes thinking about their awful setup for U.S. Pre-Clearance. What they lack in common sense they make up in absurdity.

1. Check-in as normal with the airlines, get FasTrack sticker on BP (even though I have NEXUS).
    2. Go to the barrier, with FasTrack/NEXUS door closed.
    3. Get BP scanned.
    4. Walk 50 feet, get BP scanned again.
    5. Walk another 150 feet, get BP scanned again as I remove my shoes.
    6. Walk through magnetometer, asked for my BP again.
    7. Use NEXUS kiosk, wait in line to see CBP person (obligatory to see a CBP agent now at YVR)
    8. CBP agent looks at NEXUS receipt (says PG, by the way), looks at declaration form, writes "1 NEXUS," wishes me a good day.
    9. Go to the CBP person collecting declaration forms, hand that and my NEXUS receipt to him. Finally free.

Credit where credit it due: No "randomizer" (the green arrow thing) there anymore.

sfo1 likes this.
  2. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, after you use the Nexus kiosk, you must still see a CBP, and where do you go for that? Is it the CBP agent just to the left of the Kiosks? Also security has discontinued a special line for Nexus users to go through so once you enter the general area of security you are lumped in with everyone else. I agree with you YVR leaves alot to be desired.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

To the left and the front of where the machines are now.

There used to be three NEXUS machines at YVR US-bound, now there are two, and two Global Entry machines. When there were three, they were lined up on the right-most side. Not any more. There are those two, but lined up next to each other, next to the two GE machines. And there's a little wall behind them, so you can't walk the way you did before.

You walk to the left of the machines into the GE/NEXUS lane (separate from the Crew lane). If there's a line among the regular folks, bet on the CBP person processing another person (this guy was processing a family of six ahead of me when I was waiting).

I've never noticed that line you're referring to. Remember, we're talking about US-bound flights here. Maybe you're referring to the domestic Canadian security line, which I'm sure still has that NEXUS line.

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    After you show your BP and Nexus card you move into the security area, and there is/was only one line with everyone in it and you have to wait your turn with the others. The old security area did have a special lane for Nexus, and First class, business class and crew, and that was prior to seeing CBP agents. Thanks for the update on the Nexus and GE machines, guess since I have Nexus and GE I can use either. As far as domestic, I went through there about a month ago and I had a fast trak on my BP from AC, yes, there was a nexus entrance which put you ahead of those waiting to have their BP checked but after that there was no special line, again every one lumped into one line. Great to see our tax dollars at work........

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Okay, in the OLD setup....yes, I remember that, the lane to the very right.

Back then, that was after CBP clearance.

YVR switched the order around, making the "security" thing before CBP now.

sfo1 likes this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, u r correct, after seeing CBP you got to use the security Nexus Lane. But under the new setup that has disappeared except for going to the head of the line to get into line.