Yup the PayPower $0 fee reloadable VISA is real...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Feb 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Found one at Safeway today, and was able to purchase with a credit card. Have had mixed results buying these cards in the past since they clearly say "Cash Only" on the package. But the register isn't coded to prevent the purchase, so it all depends on the cashier.

Anyway, I've been able to unload these to BB at WM in the past so don't expect you'll see problems unloading it using any of the usual methods.

I'm trying to unload this one to a prepay of my mortgage (which is going up this year) using the Evolve Money service. I've got my BB spend maxed out for the month so figured I'd take a shot. We'll see how that goes... download.jpg download.jpg

2. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you need to have a pin to load this to BB at WM? Ive never used the kiosk at WM...

satman40 likes this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need a PIN. You call the number on the front of the card in this case to assign the PIN. You have to sit through a sales pitch for their tax refund service, which is presumably how they think they're going to make their money. But its still pretty simple. The card should work fine at a cashier as well.

satman40 likes this.
  4. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you can use this card with the pin to buy MO's at WM (or whereever) correct? Haven't used GC's to get MO's yet but this card with a Zero Fee is making me want to give it a try.

foxberg likes this.
  5. MzMika

MzMika New Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad you posted this tip. I'm looking for a way to send money without using Western Union. Is it correct to say that I could upload money to this card while someone else is in possession of the card?

satman40 likes this.
  6. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that is correct as long as you had the information from the card. The same thing can be done with the Bluebird card as long as you have the number on the front of it.

satman40 likes this.
  7. Samuel Rhoades

Samuel Rhoades Silver Member

Status Points:
    Went looking for a $0 today in Oklahoma, had to still pay the fee but was able to buy w/ cc.

satman40 likes this.
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The most obvious issue I've run into with this card is that you can't assign a ZIP code to it without registering it. Meaning, you have to fill in all of your information--birth date, SSN etc to get the zip code associated with the card. I suspect there are limits to how many you can register, since registering the card means they'll send you a permanent one with your name on it etc. And I don't really want a permanent one, I just want to unload the one I already got with my money on it. Some services like Ribbon for example won't let you use a debit card without your ZIP associated. So there may be issues unloading these depending on what method you're using. They work fine with BB via WM though.

foxberg and satman40 like this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will keep an eye open,

Thanks

10. fulthrust7

fulthrust7 Member

Status Points:
    is the paypower still fee free? I am thinking safeway.

11. fulthrust7

fulthrust7 Member

Status Points:
    Word is another cousin is fee free these days...

gconnery likes this.
  12. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if any of these are available in any store in NYC?

13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI... was waiting in line at Safeway today to pick one of these up. Had good luck lately. Anyway, the assistant manager walks up and opens a register says "take the next one in line, sir?" and I figured oh well, nice plan since I figured he'd absolutely refuse to sell me the thing. But nope, didn't blink an eye. Done and done. You never can tell.

14. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since this works for Bluebird, I definitely want to find one of these. I need to hit the min. spend on my Ink Bold!

15. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know they sell them at Safeway. So presumably also Albertsons and other grocery stores in the chain. That may be limited to the west coast though. I think FM was where I first heard about this, not sure. Presumably there's more stuff out there on locations to try.