YUL-LIS Jan 15,16,17 to Jan 27,28 $580 tricked, trying to go lower

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jamesw514, Dec 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jamesw514

jamesw514 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello all!

I'd like to give a little more detail on me, my interests, and my knowledge. Hopefully I can be of use even as a newbie!

A born and raised Montrealer, I love home but am a keen traveller, all for play and none for work. I have been smart in collecting and using my RBC points to take me on several trips, mostly by transferring them out to AAdvantage or BA Avios with bonus points. AA gets me around the US, South America and Asia, and the Avios I can use for short haul to NYC or Chicago.

However the C1-C2 is a deadzone for me, not worth the points once you add YQ/YR charges (except for BOS-DUB on Aer Lingus). I am left paying my own way for the most part, so I’m very interested in saving money to and from Europe!

All of that to say, I am currently looking to book a January flight from YUL-LIS, departing Jan 15, 16 or 17 and returning Jan 27 or 28.

With a lot of reading and some hints, I have got this down to $580 CAD all in, bookable, with a certain trick. Am looking to go lower and perhaps have more itinerary options. Possible?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks all and happy travels.

mtlfire likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been able to dump most tickets with a 3x however it reduced the YQ by about 30% so I don't think I can do any better for you.

3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you've given it a pretty good haircut. We are going LAX-LIS in February, and the base fares are pretty low. Could you use whatever pixie dust you're already employing but depart from somewhere in the US for more savings? (Use Avios to position, perhaps?)

4. Reddishbead

Reddishbead Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Good job; it's a nice price. Does it work only for those dates or it's good for later on the year as well?