YouTube - music question

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Jun 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another internet music related question..... my better half is into Yoga and Meditation, and there is this artist that seems to write some music and also compiles stuff from others. Her music is all over YouTube and I cant find it on legal download sites to buy it... so then, is there a way for me to record the music that she playsback from YouTube...? If I do this, I would be technically "stealing" the stuff or how would this work...?

I am happy to pay for the music and I wish I could purchase a physical CD or DVD.... but some stuff out there that's Yoga/Meditation related seems to not have commercial distribution....

Thoughts / Tips...??

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho

2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can download youtube so you don't have to stream it every time. Several options for doing that.

You can set up a computer to computer (or phone to computer) connection to record the output of one playing youtube to the input of the recording device. Yes, this is likely not legal, depending upon the use conditions of the music in the first place.

You can attempt to reach out to the person who created the youtube vids to see where they got the music. Artist names, etc to help your search for purchase if you'd rather go that way.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are programs out there that can "rip" youtube videos so you don't have to stream them, then you could strip the video out & just keep the audio. Altenatively there are programs out there that record sound straight from your output, so no need for a 2nd PC or phone.

But yeah ... not sure the legality of this either.

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  4. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I would do this. It's simple and easy. I'm also 90% sure it's legal as I have a program called Audials (Great program for ripping and recording streamed music or video) that is very out in the open and advertises it as such.

Re-recording radio or protected music is actually legal through something called the "analog loophole." This means as long as you don't alter the original (protected) recording, you're fine. Oh, and of course this doesn't go for selling it. Wow... you probably didn't want to know any of that! :D

Answer - Search "Cnet Youtube downloader" in a browser and download the one from CNET. It's safe, free and it works.

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  5. xFF

xFF Gold Member

Status Points:
    It bears mention that, by no means, is YouTube dominantly "bootleg" any more. Just remember who owns it. There are many different types of by-click, or ad revenue, deals for artists and rights owners these days, negotiated as condition to refrain from demanding takedown.

Moreover, increasingly, both performance management and content owners are doing their own releasing to YouTube. For example, the YouTube link (which I happened to post on MP last night), has, below "the fold," the following language:

© ? 2012 Redwing Records
    © 2007 Chrysalis Music/Blood Count Music (ASCAP). All rights administered by BMG Rights Management (US), LLC. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

BTW, one can also conveniently capture (to mp3 or other) the audio track of a video using the open source project application Audacity, simply be having that "recording" from the computer's sound card while the video is playing.

Tenmoc and Gaucho like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... but what about the quality of these recordings... do they offer proper quality playback after they are ripped...?

Am I correct in assuming that the best way to rip these is to create some sort of MP3 format...?

Thanks to all for your valuable input and patience.

7. xFF

xFF Gold Member

Status Points:
    The source can be captured exactly. After all, it's just a stream of bits.

The format used for storage and playback depends upon storage medium and device; mp3 is nearly universal.

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... thanks again to all for the information. Im going to try to download one of the above programs and see if I can make this work.

Thanks !!

9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so I found this program called Solid YouTube Dowloader.... is that one of the right ones...?

Ive been able to download and convert to mp3, but I think Im only producting 50% versions of the original song... when I play the mp3 file the heading gives the title and has some 50% 50% legend.

Can someone explain what Im doing wrong...?

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bump.... if someone could address the 50% trial question above.... would be greatly appreciated !!!

:cool:

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bump.... anybody have an idea why Im getting a 50% version of the mp3 music files...?

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I haven't used that software but maybe it's just a restriction in place to make you purchase a different/paid version of the software?

Tenmoc likes this.