Your valuation of CC points

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Feb 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am curious what value people here assign to Club Carlson points.

CC seems to be selling them for 0.7 cents per point, but has offered a 50% bonus in the past, bringing the cost down to 0.47 cents/point.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't personally value them highly at all. For a reference point, two nights in Paris cost a total of 100,000 points. If you're in Europe, you can probably eke out decent value, but in the US you will be much harder pressed to do so, given the lack of 'interesting' properties.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can often use 5-10K points in cash and points to knock properties down to quite reasonable prices- and you get CC points back. ;)

AUSsie and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looking at an upcoming trip to Dubai and one of the properties (Radisson Royal) I am considering:

$234 cash + 20% tax/service charge = $280
    50,000 points --> 0.56 cents/point
    $156 cash + 20% tax/service charge + 15,000 points = $187 + 15,000 --> 15,000 saves $93 --> 0.62 cents/point

As a gold member, I'd earn

cash rate: 234 * 20 * 1.5 + 2000 = 9020 points
    cash+point rate: 156 * 20 * 1.5 + 2000 = 6680 points (assuming cash&point earn 2k point online booking bonus)

It gets more interesting (complicated) as I will stay more than one night, so as a Credit Card member I can get a free award night if I book two or more. So for, say, two nights that doubles the value to 1.12 cents/point.

marcwint55 and eponymous_coward like this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not complicated at all- 1+ CPP is quite good for CC.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, especially since the credit card earns 5 points on every dollar (and 10 on Club Carlson charges).

Don't take the "complicated" too literal. It's just not a straight 1.12 cent value unless I stay two nights. But I will have four or five, so I might make two bookings -- one straight award for two nights, one for points+cash. For a five night stay I could make three bookings -- 2 night award, 1 night c&p, then another 2 night award.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just viewed my blance on award walett and relized the BUD nights are 28k/night not 16k/night, so this math is bunk... The points per $ should be about twice what I quoted last night.

Ok this is the calculation I'm working with, Four nights in BUD, 16k points * 2 (buy one, get one free with credit card), or 44 or 64 euro/night plus fees using the one for two (or two for four) - weekends only.

So in that case 44 euro per night for four nights, or 210 euro for four nights points (after tax) would be 16,000 * 2 = 0.0065625 euro per point.

In that case I paid for the nights. But I did use the points for a room at the Art'otel non weekend for two nights for 16,000 ( buy one, get one free with credit card ) versus something like 100 euro per night, or 1.25 euro per point.

In this case the points are not that strong, but BUD is s a lower cost destination, but I'm sitting on 350k Hilton points, so I'm not really interested in saving this points for some more expensive location. But I did get the lower level credit card assuming that I'll get the higher end card later to re-build my points for some other trip, say Scandinavia.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be 16k * 3, since you only get one free night out of a four night award stay? (last night free if you book 2 or more). Or do you have two accounts with a credit card each booking these nights? Or are they not consecutive nights? Or am I just misunderstanding? (probably the latter)

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We bought a four for two, there are two of us, both card holders, so if we did points we would do one two night award per person...

The benift of points is it doesn't need to be tied to a weekend stay, where the two for four, or two for one, offer for gold does... We will be on our own for midweek, in that case we may go to Vienna or do a low cost booking.com stay.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly the 2-4-1 and 4-4-2 aren't offered for my Dubai stay. Looking through the calendar, they only have it during the "hot" season.

marcwint55 and iolaire like this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used them in Equador (just before the hotel went from 15,000 to 38,000 per night) and in Panama. Both hotels gave me great service and we were upgraded to suites as a gold member at both hotels. In Panama they also gave us a daily allowance for free drinks which was very unexpected. Breakfast was included for all guests at the hotel. My wife and I got the credit card so now we can use points for two nights and get two free nights which we are doing in May in Russia. So far I have been very happy with their offerings.