Your Summer Vacation: Did You Tune Out and Unplug or Stay Connected?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JSpira, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is not a discussion about technology per se. Rather, my use of the terms "unplug" and "stay connected" relates to the extent to which we stay connected to the world-at-large on our summer vacation(s).

This could mean not reading newspapers (be they on paper or iPad), not surfing the Web (although that also might mean not using online resources that could positively impact your trip), and so on.

On what was more or less my summer holiday (as opposed to many work trips during the summer), I did European Delivery in Sindelfingen and then drove to Maastricht, Cologne, Arnhem, and Bremen.

I had a MiFi hotspot with me but my use of online technology was different than usual: I read up on places I was going to, I posted a few photos for friends, but I didn't spend hours reading e-mail or news. (In fact, I started getting all my news in 100 seconds thanks to the Tagesschau in 100 Sekunden.)

What did you do?

(I wrote a much longer essay on this topic, if anyone wants to read it: How I Spent My Summer Vacation: Plugged In and Tuned Out) and a few photos from the trip are below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JohnDeere19, N965VJ, cennas and 2 others like this.
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    We spent 10 days in Alaska, and had no internet (or phone) connection for four entire days. Best part of the Summer!

lwkatya, kellio, cennas and 3 others like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes we could connect but we do not always, because vacation // holiday time is a time to relax and be with your better half in travel and discovery mode outside our window from flying, hotels, architecture, culture, food, drinks, shopping, the arts plus the locals of course!:)

lwkatya, kellio, JohnDeere19 and 4 others like this.
  4. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had a real vacation where I was completely unplugged or not working in a long time. We went on a few vacations, and I tried not to work but my laptop came out and yeah. :( I want to take a vacation where I don't bring my laptop, but I'm worried the sky will fall while I'm gone! ;)

I like the idea of going into "travel and discovery mode" on vacations instead.

lwkatya, kellio, JohnDeere19 and 3 others like this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to Bali for my summer holiday and didn't bring my laptop with me. I wasn't completely unplugged as the hotels provided daily newspaper to the room and also I still browsed the Internet (mostly MP) and checked personal emails through my Blackberry and my GF's ipad. I didn't spend any time on work related stuff though.

I guess I really couldn't be completely unplugged, I know I would be getting antsy if I don't know what is happening with the outside world.

lwkatya, kellio, JohnDeere19 and 3 others like this.
  6. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy coming back from a walk on the beach and making a few calls and doing some internet business while watching the dolphins swim by, however I do find my recreational time spent on the 'net drops considerably.

lwkatya, kellio, cennas and 3 others like this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite vacations are the ones where I can't access the internet or phone...something relaxing about not knowing about the latest "enhancements" all the time :p

lwkatya, kellio, cennas and 2 others like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really like this, once in a while!:)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I will be able to do that. I'll be getting nuts! :p

10. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our last vacation was a cruise to Alaska, most of the time we had no internet and my phone did not work so it was very much unplugged. However, in one port of call I took my phone to keep in touch with the group I was with as we split up into various interests and I got a work call, thankfully it was short and easy to take care of and soon I was back to being unplugged. I do miss using the internet for fun though and researching the places where we will be next or where we are currently staying.

11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does not having a summer vacation count? :p In other words, I had to stay connected all the time. I do look forward to using my computer after a long day of standing and checking guests in and out of the hotel..

travlr likes this.
  12. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My summer vacation was supposed to start tomorrow by driving to Yellowstone National Park for a week. We were going to be quite offline.

But since I broke two bones in my ankle the week before last, I'm stuck here. On-line, out of action.

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well maybe it's me but I'm not the type of person that unplugs for anything... maybe 15 years ago I could do it and be mostly "carefree" but nowadays I'm always thinking that something's gonna happen and I'm not gonna be the one caught unaware.

Sad and pessimistic, perhaps, but that's the world we live in I suppose. Or at least the one I live in. :)

I check my work email regularly in case something's on fire, and to trim it out so I don't have to go through 15k email messages just because I was out a few days. As for my personal email -- plus the news / weather / whatever, I check that occasionally if there's nothing going on -- maybe a few times a day.

But if there's something going on -- earthquake, hurricane / snow storm, pending transit strike or whatever -- then I stay on top of things religiously. Maybe I won't have as relaxing a vacation as I could, but it guarantees that I won't get stuck anywhere or run into any surprises.

My backup is an agreement through work with International SOS. They provide medical assistance and even security or emergency evacuation if needed. Overkill? Most certainly... until you need it. :)