Your spin on having a tablet FOR TRAVEL, and which one works best for you?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Jett Rink, Dec 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm lookin' to enter the world of tabs :eek:, prolly a 10 incher, prolly 'droid, and just for travel outside of biz.

Please have a say.

:)

Jett Rink

Kalboz, jbcarioca, Espan and 2 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on what you want to do with it, really.

Some people say "for travel" but that means as a laptop replacement, so you can work while you travel, and for that some tablets are horrifically bad. Some people mean as an IFE replacement, or just for keeping in touch while you're away, and for that you have different options.

If you want just an IFE replacement then any old iPad will do. It's a pain with the iTunes business to load videos/music, but it's slowly getting better. If you plan to buy your stuff from iTunes then it's not a big deal, and you can use Netflix or whatever while you're on the road.

If you're looking for something on the light side then something even like the Kindle Fire would do, although you're constrained by their ecosystem and might not have access to some apps that you might need if you're trying to actually do work.

I think the app selection will determine your choice, given that the price points are fairly close together nowadays within the same categories.

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing you need to decide is do you want to use it where there's just Wi-Fi, or do you want a 4G type connection.

Cost savings can be significant and if you just need Wi-Fi you should look at the Google Nexus, also Staples now has the Microsoft Surface on display.

DTWBOB

Kalboz, jbcarioca, Espan and 3 others like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a giant fan but I've used several and the iPad works the best IMHO. Just make sure to pair it up with Dropbox so you can move files between other computers. I use an iPad exclusively for work as a laptop replacement. It's great on planes and works really well for presentations, etc.

Kalboz, jbcarioca, Espan and 3 others like this.
  5. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been using a Sprint aircard as my sole internet connection for almost ten years now, so carrying a device that relied on WiFi would feel like a step backwards personally. The new ThinkPad Tablet 2 has USB and can run native Windows programs, but at a price.The current IdeaPad tablet only shows being available with Android 4.0, and since I hear nothing but good things about Google Now, not having Jelly Bean is a non-starter for me. I'm a ThinkPad slut, so I don't look much at other brands. :D

I've found that I use my Samsung Galaxy SII for a lot of things that I would do on a tablet, so I can see myself progressing into a phablet like the Galaxy Note 2. I'm a guy with big hands, so the form factor would not be a problem. And like my aircard on my laptop, as long as I have a signal, I have internet.

Kalboz, jbcarioca, Espan and 2 others like this.
  6. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We use the tablet not for "real" work (though we've been pleasantly surprised just how much it DOES do), and carry it when we either don't want to have something big, or don't want to risk carrying something valuable. (So, for our budget, that lets out the iPad.) We have been very happy with our Google Asus Nexus 7. (WiFi only.) At $250, it would hurt to lose it, but not break us.

jbcarioca, Espan, Jett Rink and 2 others like this.
  8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on sale for $275. Haven't used it enough yet to give a review, but I'm glad that 10 inch tablets are now affordable. :)

jbcarioca, Espan, Jett Rink and 4 others like this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Actually I still have it, but don't use it) but found it a bit too large/bulky. I recently bought a Nexus7 and couldn't be happier. Reading books/magazines, watching Movies/TV, etc all are much more natural on a 7 than a 10 for me

anyone wanna buy my GT10.1?

jbcarioca, Espan, Jett Rink and 2 others like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the similarity between the ipad and iphone. I also like using iphone apps on the ipad and being able to enlarge the screen and touch keypad. OTOH, it's frustrating that the ipad doesn't come with basic versions of Word and Powerpoint. Using a complicated or expensive app and/or the cloud for a one-page memo or one very basic slide with just words and no pictures or symbols is frustrating. Anoother negative is the lack of a connection to printers or for wired internet in hotels where this is what's free.

jbcarioca, Espan, N965VJ and 2 others like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My current line-up of tablets (shared with my wife):

- iPad 1 (WiFi only, 16 GB) <-- my wife's old machine
    - iPad 3 (WiFi only, 64 GB) <-- my workhorse travel machine; lots of space for apps, books, music and movies
    - iPad Mini (32 GB) <-- my wife's new baby
    - Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi <-- rarely used; got it for "free" at Google IO
    - HP Touchpad (32 GB) <-- rarely used; bought it in fire sale
    - Nexus 7 (8 GB) <-- use it as my secondary device; small memory keeps it from replacing my iPad 3, but it was "free"

I haven't really bought into the Apple eco-system. My music is in Google's cloud (uploaded) and my videos are from Netflix DVDs. My contacts/calendar/docs are with Google, too. Overall, I like the way Android has developed and recently transitioned from my iPhone 4S to a Galaxy Nexus.

If you could share a bit more about what you're planning to do with the device, it would really help.

jbcarioca, mht_flyer, msv and 5 others like this.
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ipad2 is my tool for travel.

jbcarioca, Espan, N965VJ and 2 others like this.
  13. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    64 GB iPad 1 3G, and it has active service on both Bell and AT&T so I can use it in both Canada and the US. I haven't felt a huge need to get a newer model yet.

I use it for web browsing, maps, and email mostly, but I also have my entire music library on it so I can kill time while flying.

I haven't done much video watching on it but it's perfectly capable.

Kalboz, jbcarioca, Espan and 4 others like this.
  14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have ipad and android (samsung 10 and 7). While some things are easier on the ipad I am constantly frustrated by ipads lack of flash - it shows up in the most surprising places. Last week I got an email with a link to some medical photos - wouldn't display on ipad, no problem with android. sometimes I'm on hotel booking sites and can't view to photos.
    Lack of ability to add storage matters to me - I just bought some 32g mini sd cards that allows me a lot of freedom for adding info to my samsungs, but not the ipad. also can put books, videos etc on the sd that I can then choose where I want to view them Helps a lot, b/c even if u have wifi access it can be really slow and if you're traveling and bored and just want your own entertainment, well.
    OTOH, in my experience the battery life of the ipad is the best by a few hours.

15. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got the Google Nexus 7. Pretty decent tool. It is what it is. Not a laptop or ultrabook replacement. I also hate the way some contents and programs disappear when traveling abroad... Do love the Google integration across cloud and chrome...

16. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love my 32GB iPad 2 for travel. One of the best purchases I have made.

IDGflygirl, jbcarioca, msv and 2 others like this.
  17. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Nexus 7. Lack of built-in 3G/4G is easily compensated by the Hotspot feature on my phone (Nexus 4). For airplanes I find 7" display quite adequate, and the tablet is lighter than iPad, which also helps. It is also very fast.

Many find Kindle and Nook to be perfectly capable content consumption devices. If all you care about is watching movies and reading books, then perhaps simpler interface and integration with Amazon services would make Kindle Fire HD or HD 8.9" a good alternative.

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  18. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an ASUS Transformer Prime however they have come out with newer versions.
    It comes with a dock (think a real keyboard) as an accessory. It has a USB port and a slot for an SD card on the dock plus a place to put in a mini SD card in the tablet.
    It is android, and it is fantastic. Almost like having a laptop, but it comes apart so easily for using only the tablet. I love it! Plus it is android. I wish my iphone was so good.

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have this same ASUS tablet and it is the king of hill! Most of all, battery life is almost unlimited (as long as 24 hr with dimmed display), because both the dock and the tablet have rechargeable batteries and when running on batteries, the dock supplies juice to the tablet until that runs out and then the tablet's own battery kicks in. For long-haul travelers it's great. But the OPTIONAL real, detachable keyboard is what does it for me...I truly despise touchscreen keyboards that take half of the space on the relatively small tablet or smartphone screens.

20. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's especially true for 7" tables: typing in landscape mode is difficult. I use an small external Bluetooth keyboard with mine.

jbcarioca and NYCUA1K like this.
  21. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here!!

jbcarioca and catgirl like this.
  22. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got the 4th gen iPad replacing my iPad 1.. Love it, given my disdain for my work phone galaxy s2, no way I'll ever buy a droid tablet.

jbcarioca and anabolism like this.
  23. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tackle personal travel with an iPad and Amazon basics bluetooth keyboard in an Amazon basics tablet case. Fits nicely inside just about anything. I also have a travel router that I carry around most of the time (takes up very little space as well, save the hassle of the hotel not having WiFi; this has proven to be a lot more useful in Japan than here in the US. I can do just about anything I need on personal travel with that setup. I'd recommend the tablet approach.

Side benefit of going to the tablet (for now at least): you don't have to take it out when going through security (in the US at least).

24. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm waiting for the Surface Pro to be released next month.

25. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still travel with my 15" 2-year-old MacBook Pro. I always get a bit jealous when I see so many people around me whip out an iPad on planes or in a lounge, as it's so much easier than a laptop. The weight of my computer backpack makes my back and shoulders hurt after a few days carrying it around with my laptop, power supply, cables, and all the papers and odds and ends that get shoved in there (although I do try and clean out stuff I use in the air or airport but don't need to carry around conferences). I'm also tempted by a Macbook Air.