Your most memorable trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, May 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may not apply to everyone, and please accept my apologies if this thread already exists somewhere else.

What is the one trip that remains the most memorable in your mind?

I fly a lot, so not much can surprise me. Shortly after flying in to LHR, a friend told me to pack a very small carry-on. We went to the airport, and I had to put on shooting-range grade earmuffs so I couldn't hear anything, and I was not allowed to carry my own boarding pass or look at any signs while traveling through the airport. Same thing for on the plane; earmuffs, no looking up, keeping the mp3 player blaring, etc.

When we landed I walked off the plane and saw the pilot at the front. I asked him, "Where in the world am I?" He replied, "Welcome to Italy." It ended up being a few days in Florence and Pisa, where I took way too many pictures and ate some of the best Italian food I've ever had (100 Posti was a favorite, and I love that the entire country is no-kill when it comes to pets).

It was the best trip of my life, and I can't wait to go back. So, what's yours?

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first one I took with the woman who became my spouse GIG-LHR and an unforgettable week in Hampstead with a side visit to Hintlesham Hall, rather more grand then than now. I really remember very little of the flights, apart from my memories of my companion.

3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    A training deployment to Australia, the accommodations for the 2+ month trip were not up to the standards of the MP community but the experience was unforgettable. The highlight was, sitting strapped in on the rear ramp of a CH-46, feet dangling 12 ft off the water flying over the Great Barrier Reef and the east coast of Queensland. No miles and or points can get that experience.

The mountains of Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan from helicopters were surreal as well if you ignore the circumstances that brought me there.

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed!
    My most memorable trip was the very short one (overnight, but only 100 miles or so) I took with my late wife for Valentine's Day two months before she passed away. It was cold, everything was frozen (Lake Geneva in Wisconsin), she couldn't do too much, but we were together. :)
    My second most memorable was to Fort Worth, TX with my Dad and my brother to a family event. My Dad was healthy, happy and very active. The next time I saw him (just a few weeks later) he was in a hospital; and a few weeks later he passed away. My brother and I are forever grateful we tagged along with him for that trip. :)

5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first two trips with my future spouse were both on light planes in Alaska. The first was with another couple (he owned the plane, a C172) and we flew from ANC to FAI to attend the 1980 State Democratic Convention, to which we were all delegates. (AK went for Teddy Kennedy that year, one of only two states to do so.) As above, I don't remember much about the flights except the driver went out of his way so we could fly pretty close past Mt. McKinley, which, as always, simply filled the sky.

The second was later that summer when she and I, along with her 4-year old son from a former marriage, chartered a floatplane into the Kenai Moose Range where the floatplane operator maintained a cabin on a small lake. They dropped us off and came back 3 days later; in the meantime all the company we had were some moose, a lot of loons, and a group of trumpeter swans that called the lake their temporary home. There were trout in the lake but they were bashful. It didn't matter, we had hot dogs and buns anyway.

6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca: What a wonderful trip! I love London, and she must have been thrilled.
    boondr: I can't imagine what that must have been like.
    miles and smiles: you're going to turn on the waterworks in here!
    Gardyloo: The cabin trip sounds peaceful and heavenly.

Great trip stories!

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My answer is more mundane. I think generally first experiences are memorable, such as first flight alone, first flight overseas, etc.

One that I especially remember is my first trip to Japan. I was on a NW 747 in IFC (free deal upgrade from a business class ticket thanks to AmEx PTS) and at that time, they still has Japanese hostesses who changed into kimonos to serve tea. It was a lovely introduction to Japanese culture. On the return, I was caught in MSP during a historic snowstorm and remember watching the horror stories on local TV news about road conditions. My connection left a bit late, but otherwise no problem despite the blizzard around us.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disneyworld!

j/k

bez7, free101girl and boondr like this.
  9. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most memorable come from different times in my life.

1) Flying alone to NYC to visit my Grandparents. Don't remember the flight at all. Memorable bits were taking the train from Long Island to Penn Station and exploring the city on my own. Very cool for a 16 year old.

2) First trip to Maui with my wife, first time to the Islands for both of us. Flight was on points, condo on the beach was worth the $$ we paid. Had a great week exploring the island together.

miles and smiles and MSYgirl like this.
  10. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    My most memorable trip was London Hathaway to Manila. That time i was feeling like a king with my friends because they follow me at that time and that trip was also plan by me. And that trip was really very awesome.

MSYgirl likes this.