Your least favorite Hyatt

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by uggboy, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thought I open up a thread on Hyatt's who have been underwhelming to say the least while staying with them.

My list from our experiences:

Hyatt Regency Baltimore, had paid confirmation they accused us of not paying, charged twice! Got refund after manager intervened and employee at front desk screamed at us. This was a long time ago.:mad:

Andaz Liverpool Street London, tiny boxy rooms, non-luxurious feel, charges to credit cards which weren't our fault and a bill for drinks we didn't consume.:mad:

Hyatt Regency Warsaw, reprimand for taking photos in their lobby during our stay, they told us we couldn't do it because the place is " copyrighted "......:mad:

Anyone else who had bad experiences with Hyatt, or all Hyatt's are great and deliver a 100% satisfaction?

2. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my personal experience, the Hyatt Cambridge is pretty miserable. Brutal concrete-as-a-design-element construction, plastic plants (with dust no less) in fake planters, dark, dreary atrium, and somehow, it is in the middle of everything but near nothing. Otherwise, I'd give it to the Hyatt Lisle, where I once waited 20 minutes at an unmanned check in desk at 1 a.m. before anyone showed up, but what otherwise might be a tie gets broken by the fact that I had higher expectations of the Hyatt Cambridge.

737823, LIH Prem and uggboy like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Princeton is terrible.

The service at PH Melbourne is also atrocious.

LIH Prem, thegrailer and uggboy like this.
  4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a "bad" stay at the PH Melbourne. Not up to par for PH standards of service

LIH Prem, TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  5. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My bad list is the Grand San Diego (from a few years ago - the whole experience was pretty bad from check-in through the entire stay) - that coupled with the then "political" issue (of the then owner) put that property on my No list - change in ownership in the last year has removed it from that list but I'm still leery and have not been back (primarily because I haven't been back to SAN).

There are a few other properties that are on the "not so great" list but not so bad to go on the avoid list (this used to include the PH Chicago - service was pretty attrocious at this property (given the market that it competes in) but my last stay (about 2 yrs ago) was fine.

LIH Prem and uggboy like this.
  6. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    HR Montreal. It's tired, and the physical layout should be used to show kids what happens when you use drugs.

LIH Prem, TRAVELSIG, Seacarl and 2 others like this.
  7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Place Tempe/Phoenix Airport has gotta be the worst I've ever "stayed" at.

Landed at PHX at around 9pm, tried to call the hotel for a shuttle to no avail. No answer, NOBODY. When choosing for an operator on the automated phone tree, it went on an infinite loop. Even Diamond Line couldn't get ahold of anyone at the "internal number". Up to this day I still didn't know whether the host fell asleep, kidnapped, murdered, or whatever.

I ended up canceling the reservation and booked at the HR Phoenix downtown. Diamond line couldn't "comp" or "walk" me over to the HR, but they graciously quoted me a government rate, which was the cheapest rate listed at that time of calling.

Still, what a waste of ~$100 for a 6-hour stay (had an early morning flight the next day). Not to mention the cab ride to the hotel and back to the airport.

This happened in April.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Pier 66. Aging physical plant. Low quality breakfast (I mean, breakfast in South Florida really ought to offer a decent glass of orange juice, no?). If you don't have status you risk rooms in the motel-style low rise part of the hotel.

I've seen 2 of 3 treadmills broken in the gym, housekeeping leaving rooms open when done cleaning, water leaking from the ceiling in the bathroom.

But food from room service there is quite good.

9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    GH Jakarta. My first stay there was a disaster: lack of attention given to the reservation, lack of recognition, horrible service in the lounge, errors from incompetent staff. GM wrote to apologize and saying that my stay was indeed a failure on all accounts. Second stay was much better, but it was clear that the quality of the staff was simply not in the same league as other high end Hyatts in the region. Shame as the hotel facilities were top notch.

HR Kinabalu. Tired hotel and recent renovations did little to freshen up the hotel. Front desk and Club staff incessantly asking about my check-out time since I checked-in, errors from staff, and finally during check-out had to spend half an hour arguing that I was on advanced purchase rate when the staff told me that I wasn't.

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This hotel was terrible even before it was reflagged as an Andaz.

If you want to be nearby this area of town (but a nicer part of it), pop over to the Zetter on St. Johns Square- their new suites property there has some large nice rooms, or a bit further away (but not too too far) in Hackney at the Town Hall.

I would not stay at the Andaz Liverpool street even if it was 99 GBP a night and for some reason I 'needed' a night credit.

11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Fair Lakes

During reconstruction starting abut a year ago, breakfast was moved from room to room. At one point, breakfast was in the lobby. What a disgusting mess. Dirty dishes next to "clean," used water pitchers and coffee/tea pots next to "clean." All out in the open next to the so-called buffet and an absolute mess. Don't worry though, it gets worse. Clean is in quotes because I saw the waitresses dumping water from the pitchers and coffee and tea from the pots to reuse. One pitcher and one tea pot [coffee pot with hot water] were brought to my table. Needless to say, I didn't drink my tea or my water. And with the "clean" tableware sitting right next to the dirty sitting right next to the food, who knows what I didn't see. A complaint at the front desk resulted in the food manager offering up a dinner on my next stay. Next stay = no dinner. The food manager was supposed to contact me during my stay but didn't. I go back one more time [note: I had stayed at this hotel on many occasions previously - see FT thread re Jaguar with flat tire sitting in parking lot] and ask again about my dinner. Nothing. But the food manager will call you...... Not holding my breath since that was months ago. Outside of the location near some things I like, never again at this hotel. There are plenty of other Hyatts in the area that can serve my needs, for example Hyatt Place South.

Cheers -

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Birmingham, Alabama. The morning lounge person was AWOL. The front desk and manager on duty insisted that the lounge was open for breakfast, but the door was bolted with several days' worth of newspapers stacked up on the floor. This was during a normal business week and the hotel was full, but most guests were participating in a meeting that provided breakfast every day.

uggboy likes this.
  13. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only had one terrible experience and that was at the HR Chicago. My company was having a conference there which was very convenient for this Diamond. :D I was taking a shower in the morning right before we were to report for our breakfast meeting when the power went out. Reported it but it took forever. I had to go to the meeting with shampoo still in my hair (plus I was late cause I was waiting). On that same stay (a few days later), housekeeping walked in while I was in the shower (and the privacy tab was still there). Luckily my coworker/roommate was still there. He stopped her from entering the bathroom!

14. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Place __________.

Yes, any Hyatt Place.

-David

kenbo, uggboy and cennas like this.
  15. Liucoke

Liucoke Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel compelled to defend the Hyatt Places... if you go expecting Park Hyatt, you're gonna be disappointed. But versus comparably priced places (Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express), I think Hyatt Places place quite well.

uggboy likes this.
  16. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really don't like Hyatt 48 Lex. Had a terrible two night stay in April. Was assigned a terrible studio queen room (the worst room on the floor) with hardly any windows and a terrible layout. It took great efforts to get moved to a Corner Suite (no charge) and I was still disappointed. Very cheap feeling to the whole place, paper thin walls, and overall bad construction. Long elevator waits, cramped common area (Lexicon Lounge on second floor) and non-existent lobby. I know this NYC but seriously for what this property charges I expect more especially when the Andaz Wall St and Fifth Ave are similarly priced and offer more space and better facilities.

uggboy likes this.
  17. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

It's MY least favorite. It doesn't have to be your least favorite to make this list.

If this was a Hilton thread, I would name an HGI, and it was a PC thread, I might name HI Express, but I would probably not include any Park Hyatts in my list of least favorite Hyatts. Thank you.

-David

uggboy likes this.
  18. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then again, if the housekeeper was hot looking.....

uggboy likes this.
  19. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    All this time on the road and you haven't you developed a taste for fresh instant Tang yet? :D;)

uggboy likes this.
  20. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree & disagree.

While the accommodations are certainly better than other similar 2 and a half star limited properties some of them are the old Amerisuites takeovers have terrible pre existing Heating/AC systems and awful sound proofing. Added to that the breakfast unless you are coming from Holiday Inn Express is the worst breakfast Hyatt Hotels has ever put out in the history of the company. Who cooks breakfast with only a microwave?No ovens or burners in any Hyatt Place kitchen.And the toilet area and lighting is poor and dreary.Yes the rooma are big

My colleague’s last Hyatt Place stay was 179 per night and they will never go back
    Garden Inn typically does a fair breakfast as ugly and bland as they are
    Hyatt Place should be the category killer however they have seriously missed an opportunity after serious investment.
    Having said that the brand will still do reasonably well by default its attractive and an alternative
    At least the cookies are decent at Hyatt Place.:cool:

uggboy likes this.
  21. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could be a game changer!:D

22. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting insights into this property, especially with similar priced Andaz properties nearby!

23. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely, there have to be some good Hyatt Places out there!

LIH Prem likes this.
  24. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe ... but I'm just not a fan of the concept. And I didn't like the 2 I've stayed at.

-David

uggboy likes this.
  25. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The staff of Hyatt Place Milford often greet me with "what's up?" or "what's going on?", presumably because I used to frequent that property and they recognize me from being a regular. Not that I am offended or anything, but I'd prefer a "good evening" or something alike.

uggboy likes this.