Your first op-up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by NYC_Gal, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    When was your first operational upgrade? Was it special? Do you still remember it?

For me, it was early 90, I got upgraded to J on NW HKG - NRT leg. I didn't even know they do this sort of upgrade at the airport back then. I didn't ask (I was on the cheapest Y), and the GA never told me. I boarded, turned right and couldn't find my seat. I panic (thought I was on the wrong plane. Then I was told I'm in business class. That was my very first ride up front, ever. And I was this broke student who didn't dress right and didn't know what to do with the seat.

And that's how my addiction started.

2. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. My first opup was an ultra longhaul on SQ from SIN-LAX back when they used to operate a 2-class cabin. Y to J opup for such a long route was a huge blessing and from then on, the obsession started.

bthobe and Funtodoimpossible like this.
  3. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first and only opup was on an early morning flight SIN->NRT on UA.

I was booked on a Z fare and had no status on UA, although I was *G at the time via US. I went to the gate for boarding, and their scanner beeped. The agent took my boarding pass, punched in a few things into their keyboard and handed me a new one. I wasn't particularly happy that I would be loosing 9H on the 777 config with no row 8 in front of me but I didn't say anything as I read the new seat assignment on the boarding pass - 1F.

I was sort of in shock as I boarded the aircraft and took my seat, that was the first time I flew in International F.

bthobe likes this.
  4. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't do op-ups. If I am not already upgraded, I won't even go to the airport. :D :D

Looking back, I think that in our clueless days we did get one op-up out of DEN to MLI--the last flight out before the airport shut down for a huge storm. It was December of 1973, I was 6 months pregnant at the time and, although we didn't know it while we were on the plane, I was in the process of miscarrying. All I knew was that I was miserable and really appreciated the extra comfort of first class. I ended up going into the hospital in Moline for several days and finally lost that baby Christmas morning at 7:00 a.m.

In the end it turned out for the best as that baby just wasn't growing right. Three weeks later, I was already pregnant again with our wonderful daughter who is one of the brightest lights in our lives and all is well that ends well.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AZ on a TATL flight, MXP-ORD. It was great.
    They gave it to me based on my DL status, and the thing is, I had just made Gold for the first time a month earlier, but DL hadn't posted my status (one of those cases where I didn't spot it right away, and had to fax in my boarding passes), so I was still listed as being silver.

6. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

My first op-up happened on BA, going from AMS to ISB through LHR back in 1986, traveling with my mom and brother. Our flight to LHR was canceled, so we were rebooked on the next one (1 hour later) cutting our connection to the ISB flight very short (and this was a once-a-week flight).

We get to the transfer desk, and get told that from C, we have been upgraded to F ... my mom then said, 'We don't have to pay for that, do we?'. To which my brother and I, brand-new intercontinental travelers said, 'Shhhhhhhh, they wouldn't offer if you had to pay!'

The flight was great. I asked for a rum and coke, and the FA asked, 'Do your parents know you drink?'. I replied, 'Sure, my mom is right there.' By which time, my mom had fallen asleep after a couple of months of stress over moving to Pakistan.

My brother and I had plenty of drinks, and as a result, were quite prepared for the arrival in Pakistan: 'comfortably numb!'

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

7. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first actual op-up quite unremarkable. It was in 2005 on AA DEN-DFW. I was an elite at the time, but had opted not to use stickers for that segment.

While not technically an op-up, my first unexpected, last-minute upgrade was after taking a bump on ORD-NRT (UA) final destination PVG. They put me in C ORD-SFO-PVG the next day. I was on a coach award ticket (booking code XY) and while the one GA was rebooking me, the other GA was chanting at him "XY! He's XY XY!" The chant worked, and I was rebooked in XC class (C award), and did not receive miles for the flight as I should.

After that 16+ hour journey in C, I was firmly hooked on the mileage game. The return flight in Y was the most painful tanspac I'd been on so far.

goodandclassy likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar- 1989 YVR/YYZ with CP. I thought there was an error with the boarding pass- however the FA quickly helped me to the "right" place. A Million Curses on OP UPs- how much I could have saved with my previous "why spend more on a plane ticket?" philosophy.

9. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it was way back in the early 90's. I was helping a buddy with his business (and he happened to spend a fair bit of money with CX Cargo). Anyway I was flying MEL to HKG and took several trips on his behalf to go "and see a man about a dog". Or something like that. Each and every trip, I would check in at the Y counter, and be presented with a J boarding pass. I thought it was normal. But I was also hooked from that moment on...

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must have been quite a special dog to entitle you to such treatment from CX!

CX has been very good to me over the years for OP UPs as well- fortunately in the past decade they have all been C>F.

sajad ahmad malik likes this.
  11. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Due to the nature of my work travel (last minute high dollar tickets) I'm usually booked into Full Fare Y or F tickets. However, on our award ticket DEN-CDG we were flying BizElite DTW-CDG, but we were in Y for CDG-MSP.

When we stepped up to the young woman to board she scanned our tickets and said with a huge grin, "Oh, we were just getting ready to page you. We need you to move to BusinessElite, if that is okay?"

sajad ahmad malik and Gargoyle like this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I hope you said NO!

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  13. Blur
    Original Member

Blur Silver Member

Status Points:
    1989 or 1990 I think on CP LGW-YYZ. That's when I first got the premium cabin bug and rarely have flown TATL in economy since.

14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Or at least, after arrival, written a complaint letter demanding compensation.

15. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was going to, but my wife knew something cheeky was going to be said so I got a punch to the kidney as a "behave" reminder.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  16. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year on NZ. Didn't ask. Was op-upped by NZ from Y+ to J. ...from LHR to LAX to AKL to ADL. I always loved NZ, and now I love them more.

goodandclassy likes this.
  17. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first was last year. I had only been Gold Elite with KLM for 4-5 months and me and Mr. no-backpacker were going to Toronto. As usual we had the cheapest economy tickets (my boss is stingy... :-D) so we didn't expect to be upgraded. When we boarded my husbands boarding-card beeped and the gate agent asked who he was flying with and took both our boarding-cards and said: "We have upgraded you! Have a nice trip!" Hahaha, the first thing I said to my husband was: "I had planned on sleeping all the way, but no way if I am going to sleep now!" :-D After that I have been upgraded lots of times within Europe, but not for long-haul. My question now is... what is the deal, to board early or late?

Xxx.

18. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't remember my first op-up, but I do remember my first op-up on United back in 2005. I was moving from Norway to the US and had no status with any US carrier, just millions and millions of BIS on SAS. So I had to start from scratch and I was posting all of my SAS flights on UAMP.
    I had just turned Premier on UA and it was my first TATL flight on UA ever. Had great seats in E+, but had plans to try to upgrade, but was bracing myself.
    When I landed at Heathrow from Oslo, I went to to the transfer desk to get my BP and voila, I was handed a United Business BP before I could even start my pitch to try and get upgraded.
    On the return, I barely had enough miles to upgrade (H-class fare) but it cleared as well

19. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my first op-up, which didn't actually happen, I was booked on a red-eye SEA-ORD-CLT on US in Y and was offered SEA-IAD on UA in F. I passed [​IMG] since I was on a MR and was worried about getting ORC. The GA asked me if I was insane, and I made up some dumb excuse. So someone else got the op-up.

My second op-up was from SEA-IAD in Y to F. Another red-eye. I ended up regretting that because I was moved from a comfy E+ seat to a a bulkhead seat in F with zero legroom and it was one of the most uncomfortable nights on a plane I've had.

No op-ups on intl flights yet. Maybe those will be better experiences.

20. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first op-up was in November of 2008, and I was a few thousand miles of qualifying for Medallion for the first time, and they upgraded the equipment from a CRJ-700 to a E-175, when I got to JFK, they wouldn't let me change my seats at the kiosk, and when I got to the gate, I was called up to the desk, and handed my BP for first class.

21. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very first was on BA (I think) LHR-JFK from Business to First back in 1992 or 1993. And I have no clue why they choose me. FFP were not on my radar screen back then at all.

22. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew SEA-ORD for work in 2005. I couldn't find my seat because I had turned right instead of left. I don't know why I was upgraded since I didn't even have a FF number on UA (probably due to booking through my Big 4's software). Due to the generosity of a flight attendant, I ended up with with two bottles of wine for my girlfriend (now wife) and was hooked on sitting up front.

DeltaExpert and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  23. pseudoswede
    Original Member

pseudoswede Gold Member

Status Points:

My family and I were travelling on NW from GCM. I think we were on the GCM-MIA flight when it went mechanical. They said there was room on the GCM-MEM flight, so there was a mad dash to get rebooked.

We lucked out and the four of us got the last four seats on the plane, which happened to be in F. I don't remember too much, but I do recall being served lunch on actual plates with real silverware.

24. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Years ago on a cheap package tour flying from PEK-SFO before we had any status. Since acheiving 1K status about 5 years ago, never an op-up.

25. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first op-up was on a flight from SAN - HNL. I think it was America West. I kept wondering why they picked me, but I was happy about it, and wasn't going to argue with them. :)