Your Favorite App to Store Passwords etc

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many people nowadays use desktop and/or mobile device apps to store account numbers and credentials. I personally have been using SplashID since the early PalmOS days and generally liked the app. Upgraded a few times and now am on the latest iPhone version, but I am getting a bit tired of their crappy customer support and their general greediness (lots of upgrade and cross-platform charges). Add to that some significant bugs in the most recent release and the requirement to have the desktop app re-authorized from their server each time it is installed (vs. their previous approach of a serial number) and I am in the market for a new solution.

What I am looking for:

- security and stability
    - cross-platform on mobile (iPhone, iPad and Android)
    - cross-platform on desktop (Mac and Windows)
    - multi-device sync (one desktop + iPhone + iPad + Android device)
    - no cloud sync (don't want all my secrets stored on someone else's server)
    - Ability to export data in csv and/or xml
    - excellent customer service

Ideally should have import from SplashID.

Open source would be ideal, but I suspect there's no OS product that meets all my requirements.

Any suggestions?

Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. P.S.

P.S. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too have been using Splash ID, and am also getting quite disappointed. My daughter asked me for a recommendation for herself (finally upgrading from a plain Word file) and even though I use SplashID I am not likely to recommend it. Any suggestions for someone starting from scratch who also needs to sync multiple devices? Ablity to export is key, to avoid getting stuck in a dead-end solution.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here been using SplashID for a long time and would like another solutions. Will change when I get a new phone in the coming months.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1
    and looking for a replacement

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've been using KeePass for a few years. Simple, secure, flexible, portable. Can store all kinds of data in it, organized with a standard file structure tree. I haven't looked into the sync capabilities, I just keep track of which copy is the working copy, copy that to other devices.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. Open Source -- nice! Many Platforms available -- double nice! Sync? Bit kludgy.

I am going to give that a try. If I don't like the UI, I can always tweak it, but implementing a real sync might be a bit more of an endeavor :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like most of you i have been using SplashID since my early Palm days. I still carry around my ancient Palm T/X that now is my dedicated password manager and nothing else. I have it on my Macs but I am peeved with upgrades too, so I stopped upgrading and am looking too. So we seem to be in similar boats. Apart from easy synching and automatic load to my smartphone (my next one will probably be an iPhone 5) I need one that will accomodate multiple country formats also. I'd love to have a contact manager that will do all that also, but none I have found can accomodate multiple telephone and address conventions in the same database and still synch/export.

So, has anybody any good clues or are we all still looking. Open Source options would be great if they'd synch well.

8. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been using DataVault Password Manager on my iPhone/iPad and love it. Not sure if it meets all of the requirements that the rest of you are looking for though...

Here is a comparison of some programs now available.

http://bit.ly/bLyDZi

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I briefly looked at that product a few weeks ago. Unfortunately they don't have an Android version at this time (not sure if that's planned; I might look into that), and given how fast the mobile market is evolving, I definitely don't want to lock myself into one mobile platform if I go through the hassle of migrating my about 400 SplashID records.

jbcarioca and Concerto like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that. It might work for me for passwords. Now I just need to find a decent global contact manager that can export phone numbers in different local formats.

Concerto likes this.
  11. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  12. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    eWallet and roboform here. eWallet stores confidential info while roboform handles passwords and automates t logins. And of course Awardwallet for points program tracking.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. I see a lot of people using this program called Excel. I'm not sure about the security though. :D

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    About as safe as PostIt notes... ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used a commercial product named FlexWallet (and its predecessors) for several years. It works well, although the synchronizatio procedure with iPhone is kind of a kludge. My hope is that a commercial product will be around longer than a non-commercial one.

16. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recent convert to KeyPass here. I was even able to export the existing entries from my old Palm Treo into a file, then import these into KeyPass. Currently syncing between the Windows desktop version and the BlackBerry version. I should have no problem converting over to the Android version when the time comes.

17. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been using a program called 1password for years. Though originally a mac-only product, the developers now support iOS, Windows, & Android. You can sync your database over the cloud (I use dropbox) or locally via wifi. I love how 1password integrates into my web browser...you have to use it to understand how it changes your login habits! As I understand it, the database can be encrypted/password protected. Though there's no Windows Mobile or BB app yet, you might also be able to access 1password on the web.

http://agilebits.com/products/1Password

jhflau11 likes this.
  18. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another 1Password user here. Using it the same way. One note, at least on iOS, there is a free and paid version of the app. I believe the free one just lets you store passwords and the paid one gets you all the features.

19. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Lenovo came with ThinkVantage Password Manager. It is great.