Your EZPass tag not working in a Rental?

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting experience I noticed this morning going into Manhattan.

My EZPass tag didn't seem to read at the Lincoln Tunnel... I got the green "GO" message but a long yellow one followed it on the screen something along the lines to call the customer service center.

I'm sure Enterprise will be thrilled to charge me $25 penalty + the toll for blowing through the EZ Pass lane at the Lincoln Tunnel, but since I had my tag how can I avoid any trouble? I checked my account online and the transactions don't show up on there. (yet)

Can anyone share experience with this?

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was told that it takes 24hrs for any license plate changes to take effect at E-Zpass. although it can take effect faster than that, it is not guaranteed.

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't add the rental car to my "vehicles" on my account... I don't want to be responsible for other people's toll issues.

Checked my account this morning and Saturday toll shows up, but Sunday toll going at the same time, thru the same lane did not.

Called EZ Pass and was told that I blocked the signal by holding the tag to the window... great! That the rental car company will get the violation and I should request them to give me that letter directly so I can fill out all the paperwork. I asked why don't they just charge my account for it now while I'm calling, I gave all the information about the the vehicle and the time of the toll and was told they just don't do that.

4. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure the rental didn't have a built in EZ pass and enterprise is going to charge you again.

I just had rental from Budget in Miami and if you use the in car ezpass (sunpass whatever they call it) they charge you a $2.50 admin fee for use. I used it once during a 7 day rental, for .80 cents worth of tolls and when i got home found out they charged me $18.30 ?*&^^%$ we'll it seems the admin fee is charge everyday of your rental even if you only use the pass once. Get that!

5. In Florida, best to just pay cash. Sunpass cost more than the ease of getting through faster.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there was a problem with the tag the arm wouldn't have gone up... as long as the toll shows up on your account I'd not worry about it too much.

7. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was just in Miami area. Seems it's no cash a lot anymore. If you don't use the sunpass, they tag the license plate?

8. Miami-Dade county went cashless recently and is either charging the driver via a Sunpass or their license plate.

BTW, you can purchase a Sunpass at many locations (PUBLIX/CVS/ETC.) and use it while diriving in Florida very easy to add rental vehicles and set an expiration date for the vehicle to be dropped from your account.

Dan

9. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sunpass that is supplied by the rental car company only costs a lot more if you have a multi-day rental. If you are on a business trip, it is only an extra few dollars since you are not keeping the car long enough to make that much of a difference. Not using one to save $2.50 or $5 is simply a time-wasting drag.

If you are renting for a long period, buy a Sunpass or use your own. I have never had any trouble in a rental car using my personal Sunpass on the I-95 Express Toll Lanes between MIA and Golden Glades.

10. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is not any of that swinging arm nonsense at the PA bridge and tunnel approaches from NJ to Manhattan.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, welcome to MP.