Your Delta Boarding Pass: More Information For Identity Thieves

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Jul 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://blogs.forbes.com/marcweberto...g-pass-more-information-for-identity-thieves/

If you fly Delta, protect your boarding pass because it contains valuable information for identity thieves and other criminals.
    Many travelers discard their boarding pass after flying. If it is subsequently recovered by thieves or potential terrorists it can provide several pieces of critical data that could cause you a lot of trouble as well as affecting airline security. After the recent episode with the Nigerian who managed to bypass security and fly across the U.S. with a day-old boarding pass, I got to thinking about boarding pass security and what the TSA can do about it if they would just use their imagination.

So while at LaGuardia airport this morning I am examining my boarding pass and all the data it contains and realize that Delta is still printing the entire frequent flier number on the document. Northwest and other airlines stopped that practice years ago when they realized that it could potentially be used to compromise other information in their system. Evidently Delta is not worried about it because not only is the number printed but also the record locator number for the reservation and of course the name of the passenger.

phsu, savydog, stan and 2 others like this.
  2. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    The four-digit PIN is more than enough to thwart ID thieves.

3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airline that was based in MSP only showed the last 4. Of course we all know that the DL has the best IT/website. Just ask them.

DYKWIA and Davescj like this.
  4. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last name and PNR are probably the biggest concerns.

As to the TSA and the old boarding passes.......well, TSA is less than useless. If you look at the boarding pass, you'll notice there is a date......that should have been the first clue that somethign was wrong.

Dave

5. I agree the ticket number/PNR with last name is way more dangerous. What is even more crazy is people that take pictures of their ticket and post them to social media.

6. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even better, you could take that, go to the airline web site, and put them into a really crummy seat. :eek:

David

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    United prints the full mileage plus number on BPs as well.

I keep my BPs until I get home and the flight have posted, and then they go into the shred pile.

8. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean there are still people on this board who don't shred BPs??? I started that practice not long after beginning to fly...

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I save them until the miles post, then toss them in a folder just because I think I might want to reference them again in the future.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or cancel and rebook them on something expensive, even if to the same destination.

I'm more shocked by people who leave their FF accounts open on computers in hotel and airport business centers and lounges. HInt: with DL, you must clear the history or the next person can return to the delta.dumb webpage you were using and access your account. I once had the chance to do this to a DL executive in the early stages of the merger but resisted the temptation.

11. dedehans
    Original Member

dedehans Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also keep my printed BPs til the miles post...
    Question....how do those who use their smart phones as BPs request mileage if no paper records? Probably a stoopid question but I am falling well below the curve in technology these days as I don't need it as much as I did in my working days.

Dorlee and DeltaExpert like this.