Your Best Bet for Avoiding Flight Delays in 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Jan 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your Best Bet for Avoiding Flight Delays in 2014

Posted by PeterGreenberg.com on January 9, 2014

It’s already been a rough start to 2014 when it comes to flight delays. But we can bid a fond farewell to 2013, when more than a million flights were delayed, diverted, or outright canceled. The reality is you can’t always avoid the weather problems, or a Congressional budget hiccup and a government shutdown that also affects air traffic controllers. But there are things you can do and still stand a reasonably good chance to get ahead of the game...

The best airlines for reliability include:

Hawaiian Airlines
    Alaska Airlines
    Delta Airlines
    US Airways
    Virgin America

To read the article, see:

http://petergreenberg.com/2014/01/09/best-bet-avoiding-flight-delays-2014/

MSYgirl likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And here's yet another example of Greenberg's horrible advice. HA is great for avoiding delays if you stay in the islands. Once you start touching the mainland or international destinations their numbers drop significantly.

Also, posting last years' numbers and calling them a prediction for next year's performance is amateur hour at best.

UA191 likes this.
  3. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    My bet for avoiding flight delays in 2014 is to avoid YYZ. First, 8h ground stop on Tuesday and now technical glitches today

Newscience likes this.
  4. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, we work very hard at by-passing many common weather delayed airports, though that is sometimes just not possible.

Fog shutting down IAH. Snow closing IAD. MSY having issues with planes from ____ . Weather happens.

However, when planning a PHX - MCO trip in Feb, I avoided ORD, DEN or JFK, for connections - just in case.

Hunt

Newscience likes this.
  5. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.

First rule is to avoid connections. Second rule if you can't follow first is to connect at the right airport. In winter avoid ORD JFK BOS. In summer avoid t-storms in Texas and East Coast. In Germany MUC > FRA. Avoid CDG. ZRH, GVA and VIE are good. Personally like NRT too. On West Coast SFO is a much nicer airport than LAX but secondary airports like SJC, OAK, BUR, SNA have fewer delays. IAH has been awful for me ever since UA CO merger.

Really has nothing to do with airlines - I have been delayed on all of them. More a function of the airport.