Your AAdvantage elite status is valuable at United, Continental and Copa Airlines.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ceieoc, Jan 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    United Airlines wants all AAdvantage Elite clients to give their business to United, Continental and Copa airlines. They are offering free elite status for the year if you qualify to entice you to fly with them. If you have AAdvantage elite status, you should consider this free offer. This offer could disappear without notice, so request your free United Airlines elite status today. Having elite status on multiple airlines is a big benefit for frequent flyers as it opens up many additional travel opportunities, routings and savings. Let me know how quickly you receive your new United/Continental/Copa Airlines elite status.

More information on United Airlines status match here: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53424,00.html

United Airlines writes, "We are pleased to offer you the opportunity to participate in our Premier® Status Match Challenge promotion, offering top-tier flyers of most other airlines a comparable status in the MileagePlus® program. This offer is valid for requests received January 1 – December 31, 2012.

Customers who hold Star Alliance Silver or Gold status are excluded from this offer.

Program Details
    Premier status match is only offered for MileagePlus Premier® Silver, Premier® Gold or Premier® Platinum levels*. If you meet the criteria to participate in the Premier status match offer, your account will be upgraded for 90 days to Premier Silver, Premier Gold or Premier Platinum status*, based on the level you hold in your current frequent flyer program."

milepointers, enjoy your new elite status.

alohastephen and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't this the challenge that they've always had? It appears so which means that you don't get free elite status for the year, but for 90 days while you complete a challenge to achieve that status level for the remainder of the year.

alohastephen and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't research if it was the same offer that United Airlines previously offered. They disclose in their program details about their 90 day qualification time period.

alohastephen and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They grant you the status while you do the challenge, but they are not giving status for the year. Also, 1K is excluded. The exclusion of anyone with *A status sounds bad for BMI refugees.

rwoman, alohastephen and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, this offer isn't new. Been available for awhile. They can call me when they drop fare requirements on their SWUs. ;)

Aktchi, Kaanapali, mrredskin and 9 others like this.
  6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically, +1 to what DDavid said. But going a little beyond just SWUs/fare requirements, my mind keeps drifting back to all the changes they announced combining the two programs, to that hilarious video of the talking tech characters trying to figure it all out (that went viral for a while). . ., and to a general feeling, "heck, why do I want to go elite with a program that is less generous to me than where I am now (AA), and that I don't understand nearly as well."

I suppose one reason to participate would be as follows: for PLTs and EXPs, I presume that would translate to at least "Premier Gold," and thus it would get you no-charge Economy Plus seating at time of reservation, and if one knew he or she had a lengthy trip coming up on routes UA served best, then one could enroll in this Challenge for three months to get more legroom on that trip, right?

Finally, over the years I recall some challenge offers from some airlines (not necessarily UA) that required one to mail or "fax" in his or her mileage statement of recent flights -- that made me wonder if the challenging carrier would accept challenge particpants who fly less often, who didn't have many recent paid flights, and who instead had only "lifetime" status with their current carriers (e.g., AA GLD or PLT). As I read the T&C of this UA offer, however, one can simply send in a copy of his or her 2012 Elite card with his current carrier, and thus I suppose "lifetime" folks could indeed get a new "3-month life" with UA.

Kaanapali, JohnDeere19 and John777 like this.
  7. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this a one-time deal? In that, you can only do a status match challenge with UA once in your life?

ceieoc likes this.
  8. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="wombat18, post: 1156773"]Is this a one-time deal? In that, you can only do a status match challenge with UA once in your life?[/quote]
    The United Airlines offer terms state, "Offer is not valid for members who have participated in the OnePass or MileagePlus status match program within the last 5 years."