You learn something new every day....

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tommy777, Apr 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Here's a new one for a UA flyer who has started dumping more cash in to AA.

I've flown a bunch of AA flights since September last year and I'm aware that UAs stand by policy for 1Ks is superb compared to whatever it is that AA has as a policy for EPs.

I've gotten to LGA (the route I fly the most) trying to stand by for an earlier flight. If there are seats at check in, I'd get a seat in coach and clear F at the gate.

I get to ORD around 1PM today, we're on the 620PM to LAX today, check in agent couldn't be more helpful getting us on the half full 325PM and confirmed great seats for us.

Head to the club for a while and when arriving at the gate we see our name on the confirmed list, but not on the upgrade list. I go to speak with the gate agent and she says we're not confirmed in coach yet. I showed her the BP and she said the flight is half full, so we'll get on but these are just temporary seats. I asked why we didn't get a priority verification card, she said when it was plenty of room they would confirm temporarily. So as we were at 30 minutes before departure, I asked if she could just confirm us so we could get on the upgrade list. She said we needed to pay 75 per person bucks for it, then she would confirm us on the flight.. Ehhhhh. ok..... 8 on the stand by list, 3 seats in biz and ONE EP, rest was Gold and Plat.

I guess the policy is to upgrade EVERYONE on the upgrade stand by list before confirming stand bys, even if the plane is empty so if you want to get on the upgrade stand by list, you need to pay 75 bucks to get confirmed in coach, even if you have assigned seats

The agents I've dealt with so far has just done what's best for the EPs, but officially, this is the policy.

So heads up UA ship hoppers: Super retarded policy alert! ;)

viguera, joesmoe and perryplatypus like this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree - I'm a DL PM convert to EXP and the fact they charge $75 for CFC for top tier elites is bad enough. Its free on Delta though they do give a shorter 3hr window vs 12 hrs. This is offset by far less restrictions tho - Delta allows SDC if there is any Y availability versus silly E class only restriction on AA.

CFC is my biggest AA complaint as an EXP. I do SDC/CFC all the time on Delta. Most of the time it improves my upgrade chances not decreases it like on AA.

This policy is worst of the legacies by far. Went up from $50 in the middle of one of my trips in Jan too.

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This policy is probably the single biggest reason I carry gift cards in my backpack to make friends with AAgents. :D

A gate agent has the ability to put you in F (or, probably more correctly, they clear standby passengers first, THEN clear upgrades). I've had my fair share of agents hold me the last seat in F if there are no other EXPs waiting for seats.

No doubt the fee should be waived for EXP, or at least for EXPs on a certain class of fare.

perryplatypus and rggale like this.
  4. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree. This is maybe the single most annoying AA policy.

5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I guess I've been super lucky up till now. Send me some Five Guys card over night, please ;)

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The official order of things (AA policy) is upgrade list gets processed, then the standby list, then the upgrade list again (for the standbys who request upgrades) - time permitting. Whether this works to your advantage or not depends on your situation. If you were ticketed on the original flight, it can keep someone with higher status or higher fare from switching onto your flight and grabbing your upgrade, so it's to your advantage. If you are that person with the higher status or higher fare, it is to your disadvantage.

AA does it this way (I suspect) because processing the upgrade list first opens up more coach seats to put standby passengers into.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the gift cards have a personal cost near zero, that's easy to do (and no, I'm NOT asking for gift cards... :p ). :) Seriously, though... do you give them before or wait until after so they remember you next time but no chance of negative connotation?