You have entered a valid upgrade, but there are no eligible flights available...Help!!!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kayjay, Nov 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am an 1K and planning on doing a one-way flight from SFO to MAA and I am using United.com for booking. I do have a $400 United Bump Voucher, is it possible to use it?

I am searching for Economy fares and try to get upgrade but not getting any good answers from United.com.
    1. If I try using Miles-YB option, - atleast I get available flights but it is giving me this message on top - "

You have entered a valid upgrade, but there are no eligible flights available. Please try selecting other dates."

2. If I am using SWU option, I can't get any flight availability as I am struck in the first screen which says:

a. We are unable to search based on the information provided. Please revise the entries in red below.
    &
    b.
    Either the origin or destination is not valid for this promotion. Please revise your entry and try again.

Bottomline is I would like to earn 100% miles or more on this reservation and would like to get upgrades. Is it possible and how?
    I am searching between these dates: 5/1/2012 to 5/7/2012

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just tried searching SFO - MAA one way on united.com using the "Systemwide Region 2" option on 05May2012. It did return results. The first is SFO-(UA)-FRA in the M bucket and then FRA-(LH)-MAA also in M. I believe you'd be looking at 2 SWUs. One electronic for the UA flight and a paper one for the LH flight. The message "You have entered a valid upgrade, but there are no eligible flights available. Please try selecting other dates." means that there is no upgrade (NC) space available at this time, I believe.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you a bit further. But do make sure you're using "Systemwide Region 2" as the search criteria for the upgrade...and you should get results. Let us know how you make out!

3. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks chrislacey.
    It is definitely turning results for SWU2. Thanks. I was trying to use SWU1.

Anyway still it says the same message:

You have entered a valid upgrade, but there are no eligible flights available. Please try selecting other dates.

Can someone please help?

Here is the screenshot as attachment 050512 SWU2.jpg

4. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, how do you see the fare class? Flight details doesn't give me the class.
    As you can see, I am the first time 1K. So clueless...

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The LH FRA-MAA segment is not valid for an Upgrade online which is why it is giving you that message unless Wandering Aramean thinks otherwise.

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you click continue on the page that you posted a picture of...it will show you the fare class after the cabin on the next page. Economy (M) for example :)

7. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    You cannot apply an upgrade to a codeshare, so the FRA-MAA flight would need to be booked as an LH flight (and will be subject to the MP rules for upgrading LH flights).

Also, there is currently no Upgrade Availability on either UA 900 or LH 758:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.7.0/Diamond - ITA: Awards-Upgrades/UA]
    Code:
    SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
    FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
    SAT  05 May 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UA         900     SFO   13:55     FRA   09:45 +1  744  0   F9 A7 C9 D9 Z0 Y9 B9 E0 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 T0 S9 K0 L0 G0 XY0 NY0 XF0 NF1 J9 XC0 NC0
    UA         926     SFO   19:08     FRA   15:00 +1  777  0   F9 A5 C9 D9 Z0 Y9 B9 E0 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W0 T0 S0 K0 L0 G0 XY0 NY0 XF0 NF0 J9 XC0 NC0

[KVS Availability Tool 6.7.0/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
    Code:
    FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
    MAA  Chennai IN [VOMM]
    SAT  05 May 2012 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
    LH         758     FRA   11:05     MAA   23:50     343  0   FS/  CS-  YS+

SC Flier, LizzyDragon84 and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 1K desk told me that this message means no NC availability - as mentioned above. The problem this leaves is if one wants to book a W fare and wait list. The prices that were showing up for me were for the lowest bucket available, not W fares -

Cheers -

9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a nice chat with a person on the 1K line a few weeks ago.

I saw that "upgrade space available" thing on an ORD-FRA flight. Wanted to book it with the agent, and she says that note is not always Y to C. If there is space C to F on an SWU, that will show up in the same way, even if the fare you're seeking on-line is Y.

If OP wants to book upgradeable fares on all four segments, then four SWUs will be required, AND will need to book in the appropriate fare class on a Lufthansa ticket (and the $400 voucher cannot be used on that). Again, it must be a Lufthansa ticket, purchased on their site, not a UA codeshare.

In order to use the $400 cert, all segments must be on UA or UAX metal, no codeshares (unless the T&Cs changes in the past few weeks).