You can now select seats on BA via AA's web site....

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by LookingAhead, Feb 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LookingAhead

LookingAhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming trip all with AA flight numbers, but two legs are on BA metal. I can now select/change my seats on the BA legs from the AA web site with a temporary automated redirect to the BA website. I noticed that on the BA legs, the AA web site had the "Change Seats" link activated. When you click on it, you are taken to the BA website and can choose your seats. When you are done it returns you to your reservation on aa.com. Very nice integration!!!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just checked my itinerary, not available for me. Seems it's not rolling out across the board just yet.

3. LookingAhead

LookingAhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I am EXP, but in coach (World Traveler). Not sure what is dictating availability.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm also EXP in coach. I suspect neither is related to you seeing it and me not though.

5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my recent trip to India, I had a BA segment and this facility was present at AA.com . Before this I used to call BA. It was nice to be able to do this online, with my Emerald status automatically recognized.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  6. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if it has anything to do with POS (Point Of Sale). I purchased ticketed at aa.com in September 2012 that had legs on BA metal. I didn't notice it right away so can't confirm if it was immediately there, but by Nov 2012 the "select seat" and redirect was working.

7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you call AA they can also provide the BA (or other partner) PNR as well and then select seats on BA.com (The reason I point this out as one can call AA 24/7, while BA has limited service hours in the US)

8. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could be another one of those YMMV things. I had no problem getting the BA PNR, from AA or other sources, but found that my EXP/Emerald status wasn't always recognized at BA.com . That's why I made it a habit just to call BA.

So the real excitement for me this time was not being able to click the link to change seats at AA.com, but finding my EXP/Emerald status recognized at BA.com .

9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always do it on ba.com. Half the time it takes my AA PNR, the other half it wants the BA one (easily obtained by either calling AA or clicking the "show itinerary and receipt" link).

OceanBreezes likes this.
  10. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not working for me (EXP, booked BA in J, BA flight numbers, technically on Comair JNB-CPT-JNB, and on an Explorer award).

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be sure your AA number is in the BA PNR so it reflects your EXP status.

12. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost one year later, I just booked another trip and this feature is not working at AA.com. The itinerary at AA.com does not offer any option to change/select seats on BA metal flights.

Anybody know if I can get the BA pnr online, without calling the airlines?

13. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Worked for me just this morning - EXP in paid WT, AA codeshares on BA metal, let me select exit row seats for free as well

brodyf likes this.
  14. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am EXP in paid coach too, but the itinerary at AA.com doesn't give me the option to select seats on BA metal. However, the ticket is only about a day old and BA flights are 10 days away, Maybe that makes a difference.

ETA: What a difference 1-2 days make! I still don't see seat-selection links at AA.com but, unlike earlier, can now select seats at BA.com using the AA record locator. Obviously a work in progress, but functional enough.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    mre5765 likes this.
  15. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes this was my experience back in December too. Worked yesterday as well.

Once BA.com recognizes the AA PNR the itin it displays shows the BA pnr and the BA flight numbers.

16. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This only works when the BA metal flight is booked with AA code share flight number. For some odd reason you can do seat selection and changes on these, but if the flight numbers are BA then you can't. Weird.

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's always hit-or-miss with me as to if ba.com recognizes the AA PNR. Entering the BA PNR almost always works, and when it doesn't, it's generally because my AA FF number didn't carry over. Going to Manage My Booking and entering my AA FF number lets BA know that I have OW status, which then lets me select seats.

In addition to calling AA to obtain the BA PNR, it sometimes works to go into aa.com, select the itinerary, and click "print itinerary and receipt." I don't know why it sometimes includes the foreign carriers' PNRs and other times not. Likewise, if AA emails the itinerary, those sometimes include the other PNRs but not always.