You can now buy your friend a Starbucks coffee on Twitter

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Oct 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...-friend-a-starbucks-on-twitter-160521396.html

Buying a Starbucks coffee for your friend is a nice thing to do but devoid of any interactions with social networks! This is 2013. We can't have that, can we?

Twitter to the rescue. Now you can buy your amigo a medium decaf double latte with extra foam (in a large cup) through the microblogging site. Yay?

The Seattle-based coffee behemoth recently launched a program called "Tweet-a-coffee." Here's how it works: Interested users link their Twitter and Starbucks accounts and set up a payment method. Then, it's as (supposedly) simple as tweeting "@tweetacoffee" with the recipient's Twitter handle. The lucky person gets a $5 Starbucks gift card, which can be redeemed on a smartphone.

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...-friend-a-starbucks-on-twitter-160521396.html

2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess they didnt want to fall behind facebook. Every time there is a birthday, I get a request to send them an ecard......

tondoleo, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, Facebook is so early 21st century! ;)

It's interesting that Twitter now has ~49 million active users (US), while Facebook has 198 million users (US). But I guess that Twitter users really are different, and maybe they need that shot of Starbucks caffeine to keep them Tweeting! :)

See: http://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-has-a-surprisingly-small-number-of-us-users-2013-10

tondoleo and vickers like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never got into Twitter. I have an account that I use to get news updates, but I do not tweet or follow celebrities. I wonder if Twitter really does cater to the younger crowd?

tondoleo and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really think that's the case - "Twitterers" tend to be younger in age, and would much rather "Tweet" than use email, and appear to be pretty much hooked on Twitter as a communication medium.

Interestingly, it also seems that many big-shot politicians have Twitter accounts and use them quite regularly. But, I'd be willing to bet that most every "tweet" originating from a, say 60 yo+ politician, was composed by a 20-something staffer! :rolleyes:

tondoleo, vickers and KENNECTED like this.