You can now book LH awards via United.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jonman21, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jonman21
    Original Member

jonman21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yay! When you do your "Use Miles" award search, be sure to click the "You can also view Star Alliance Results for selected dates" link at the bottom of the page.

Untitled.jpg

tjtenor4, 7Continents and kwai like this.
  2. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome!

druiddation likes this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a positive move.

Gtitan likes this.
  4. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow... unimaginable just a year ago.

tjtenor4 likes this.
  5. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Besides for saving the fee for booking online, I don't see the awesomeness (is that a word?) of this.
    LH could already be easily searched.

And from the fact UA and CO miles can be transferred, I'd say starnet blocking is gone. So this doesn't even present the advantage of knowing what can be booked by United.

6. jonman21
    Original Member

jonman21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's okay if you don't see the awesomeness, but like you mentioned yourself: being able to book without needing to speak to an agent (to some, a huge plus for not having to deal with call center roulette if you're non-elite), and also, for those who are not 1K, not having to pay the fee for booking an LH award on the phone.

JLSocks likes this.
  7. lunettes noires
    Original Member

lunettes noires Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe not a big deal for you 1Ks, but for non-elites like me with a bit of international wanderlust, this is huge. Basically it opens up 2+ more continents (Africa, the half of Europe that UA does not serve, and South Asia) to online booking instead of the laborious and expensive process of:
    • Research available LH seats and reasonable flight times on Award Nexus
    • Call UA and fight with computer to let me actually talk to a person to book an itinerary I already know it can't handle.
    • Hope and pray I get Honolulu and not ICC
    • Hope and pray seats are not gone/starnet-blocked by the time I get through
    • Pay $25/ticket for the privilege
    • Repeat all of the above for return segment, since it is no longer possible to hold outbound segments booked at 330 days out until the inbound flights are loaded. (If you wait, it seems like your chances of nonstops on popular trunk routes like SFO-HKG and SFO-FRA are much reduced and you are looking at a 28-hour itinerary through ORD.)
    Maybe the UA->CO transfer option gives you most of this, but the last time I used the CO award booking tool, it did not allow one-ways and thus it was impossible to book anything 330 days out. Has that changed?

8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this has been in place for quite some time. I remember seeing it atleast one month ago if not two months.

9. 21h21j

21h21j Silver Member

Status Points:
    error.png
    If only it worked...

10. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also of note is that co.com can handle LH award tickets, as well as a host of other *A partners, and I've been pleased with the searches I've done as it will sniff out award space on non-conventional routings (e.g. IAH-YYC-LHR-FRA on CO/AC/LH/BD/etc.) as well as throw in VS award space, if applicable. Granted they're still a few airlines that are not included in the searches, SQ and LX come to mind, but it's a great starting point to see what's there.

Plus once you have an idea what the general availability is like, you can then use ANA's tool to refine your search and zero in on the carriers you want.

11. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    One issue is that co.com is still missing true first.

druiddation likes this.
  12. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now if only CO would get this going, that'd be sweet. Probably not likely, though, given the impending combination.

Also need to add seatmaps, on the CO site for UA and LH, and on the UA site for LH.

13. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonderful!
    If only they threw in the rest of the *A, life would be super