Yoga and Zumba

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AmericanGirl, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone take Zumba classes and if so what do you think? I like yoga but recently saw and ad for Zumba and it looks like fun.

2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love zumba. I do a flexible dance fitness pass at a local studio, so I've had the opportunity to experience a few different zumba classes (in addition to my favorite Bollywood dance workout class) and the teachers vary some in the range of music they use and how much they emphasize dance over sheer exercise (e.g. how much arm work they do). If you like to dance and you like Latin-flavored music, you're likely to have fun. Just take things at your own pace and enjoy!

baliparis and AmericanGirl like this.
  3. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great advice. I've been searching to find a class today, but no luck with that. Hubby wants to do it too so it should be fun. I'll report back [​IMG]

4. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried the search function at zumba.com? That's how I found the dance studio I take classes at.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  5. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I actually did that. I have found numerous in St. Louis. I found some here as well at Leisure World and Gold's Gym.

6. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Zumba can be fun with the right instructor. I took one class and the instructor was terrible, after every song, she would run to her iPod to manually select the next song. It was most disruptive and rather irritating. And for some reason she selected more hip-hop music and not Latin. I never went back. I then tried another place with a latin instructor and her classes are fantastic, festive and fun with great Latin music. I take a Zumba class periodically for variety. I prefer running. But it's fun to try new things. Enjoy!

I really like Bikram Yoga! I am always so relaxed afterwards.

7. Jumping Jehosaphat
    Original Member

Jumping Jehosaphat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done Zumba before, and it was pretty fun. In general, I like most aerobic classes though.

G_G likes this.
  8. Jumping Jehosaphat
    Original Member

Jumping Jehosaphat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the ones I took were at Gold's as well.

G_G likes this.
  9. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont like Zumba and I had a really, REALLY great instructor. Yes its a kinda fun but it feels like I am doing corny aerobics and it feels stupid and faddish. I prefer Bar Method/Pure Barre ( intense ballet moves combined with light cardio) and Yoga.

citrine likes this.
  10. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    zumba?

edit: i googled it

11. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to try a Bar Method class! No studios in MI so, it's on my To Do list next time I am in Chicago. There is a Pure Barre studio here but it's 45 min away.