Yiwu, China

Discussion in 'Asia' started by no-backpacker, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am pondering on going to Yiwu for some business-meetings while I am in Hong Kong. (Plan is to stay in HK for 7 days, go to Yiwu for 2 days, Taiwan for 6 days and back to HK for 3 days.) Can anybody recomend any hotel there? I have seen there is a CP (Crowne Plaza Changshu Hotel) around 25 min. from Yiwu. do you think that is too far away? How much would it be to take a taxi from the CP to Yiwu? Anybody having experience with doing business in Yiwu?

Xxx.

jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  2. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    We live about 2 hours away from Yiwu.
    You need a local even if you can speak Mandarin as your buffer or they will eat you alive.
    It is a fun place, as for accomodation, sorry I can't help. Never stayed the night there.

3. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made one trip for business there a couple years ago. The pavillion for the Yiwu fair wasn't done, and I think it still isn't completely finished and all I can remember was it was HOT. The hotel was one of the ones across the street from the fair. It was a dump. I mean top of my dump list dump. Pick anything approaching 4 or 5 star, even 25min away. Taxi is very cheap.

+1 on getting a local.

savydog likes this.
  4. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for your reply! I have now decided to not go to Yiwu and just stay in Hong Kong and Taiwan. I assume I will have a fair chance to find what I need there. It *do* worries me to read about others expereinces with trading with the Chinses, but right now I just think I have to go there and see what everything is like. So far my business is quite small so I can't justify to pay an intepreter/sourcing company. Speaking of that... how on earth can you find a reliable sourcing company? There are so many of them.... Phew... The more I read about importing from China, the more confused I get... :)

Xxx.

5. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    My personal opinion, in my personal situation which is also that of a smaller business sourcing in China is that you can't. You have to go. And go, and go and go. You are cheaper and more reliable than any 'sourcing'. Source 1 thing then use the first source to help you source additional suppliers.

If you haven't been yet, definitely go to the bigger shows in bigger cities (Guangzhou especially, and Shanghai) It'll give you a good feel for it. Then you can venture up to Yiwu, and others, to see if you can improve. All these shows are FILLED with "interpreters" and "sourcers", ignore them, they're generally worthless. At the bigger shows, many will speak enough English for you to fend for yourself. BTW, HK will have a lot more 'traders' and won't have nearly as many exhibitors from the mainland as the actual mainland shows.

6. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    THANK you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. Especially what you are saying about sourcing companies. Everybody tend to tell me that I really need a sourcing company, but after thinking, I have also come to the conclusion to go buy myself. It's cheaper, more reliable (I think...:))... and... haha... I get the trip and the points... :-D Maybe if my company is getting bigger I will hire a sourcing company...

I am going to the big Hong Kong fair, gift & premium. I am used to trade fairs, but not in this field, so not sure what to expect, although I have heard the fair is BIG.

If ANYBODY else have any experience with this I would be extremely happy if you would share them with me, either here or in a PM.

Xxx.

7. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also to add, after you find a source directly, it doesn't get any easier either. There is no guarantee that they will fulfill their end of the transaction to the specifications YOU wanted. The scariest thing as a small business owner is the difficulty to find recourse IF there are problems. If you can't handle that part of the risk, that is when a middleman or sourcing agent may be handy but you pay a few points for that assurance.

8. LXofSweden
    Original Member

LXofSweden Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yiwu is OK if you are out to buy wholesale junk on a spot basis.

If your order needs to be produced, however - avoid that place. Find a manufacturer and never use any sourcing companies unless your order is so small production can't be justified. They add no value whatsoever. I personally wouldn't find interpreters either. As pjoalfa said, visit the Canton Fair (runs annually in April and October, bring good walking shoes :p) and fairs in Shanghai. See www.biztradeshow.com for fairs that apply to your business. Ask the factory to produce you a sample. Stay during production of the first batches to do inspections of the products right at the line. Your attitude should be that eff ups will occur.

You should definitely go for top rated hotels when staying in Yiwu, unless you are comfortable with the chance of prostitutes banging your door all night long.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can probably manage Shanghai and Guangzhou yourself without a translator, especially if you stay in major Western chain hotels. I would hesitate to attempt to go to a smaller place on my own without speaking Chinese. Do not stay in Chinese owned/managed hotels unless you have no choice.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again for your information. I am leaving for Hong Kong tomorrow and decided not to go to Yiwu. I will go to two trade-fares and try to get a "feeling" of how it works. Maybe i will get some more ideas after I have been over. I will also go to Taiwan, but so far I don't have any plans on sourcing while being there.

I am VERY excited to leave tomorrow!!! :)

Xxx.

jbcarioca likes this.