Yet another JAL LCC rumor with Jetstar

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by JALPak, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nikkei doesn't generally report rumors unless they are verified from multiple internal sources, so I would say this is probably happening, even if it has not reached a stage of being officially announced yet.

Now from the real rumor department: There was speculation on one Australian blog that QF and JL are thinking of running cheap Japan-Europe flights which would feed the existing JQ flights between Japan and Australia -- i.e. completing a "kangaroo route" through Japan, as opposed to the usual HK or Southeast Asia routing. The difference in distance is not as much as you might think.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  3. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's my preferred Kangaroo route.

Actually, to be honest, when I was 17 I had only ever been to Australia and Japan but everyone I met on QF and JL flights seemed to be going on to LHR, CDG or FRA. I used to think that going via NRT was the only Kangaroo route!

4. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I can earn QF status credits on this then I'll be a happy man.

(I'd also like it to have routes between TKS and major Honshu airports... I have my fingers crossed!)

5. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I hate DJ ... I don't even think it is a LCC. Is DJ a LCC?

What defines a LCC?

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still remember Nikkei saying JL will be joining ST?

7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I highly doubt it.

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    JQ? :rolleyes:

9. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well JQ is the same boat as DJ. I just wonder these days. When I compare them to Ryanair they seem luxurious!

Anyway I guess we'll find out soon enough whether Peach has more competition but let's hope they don't name it Banana or anything.

10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be a fruit in Red....say Fuji Apple

11. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    The TKS bit?

13. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Makes me now hope Jetstar becomes part of OW haha.

15. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the quality of certain OW carrier (you know which one I was referring to :p), a LCC definitely meets OW standard :eek: But a little surprise that they would keep

As long as I can earn FOPs on it I don't really care...but I m not sure if that will be the case or not

16. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nikkei.com/news/headline...6858DE3E3E2EAE0E2E3E38698E2E2E2E2;n_cid=TW001

A new rumor from Nikkei today.

JAL: 33.3%
    Mitsubishi: 33.4%
    JQ: 33.3%

They are looking for more to come onboard so Mitsubishi's share will drop next summer. They will make an announcement next week and all parties will invest a total of 3 billion yen in this. The airline will be tentatively called Jetstar Japan.

Intends to fly domestic leisure routes such as from NRT to CTS, FUK, OKA and others. Internationally, Korea, China and Guam are candidates. Will start operation by Dec 2012

One interesting note is Mitsubishi is hoping this investment will help them generate extra revenue from their Airbus leasing business.

whkento likes this.
  17. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting. And I can't help but wonder whether this JV would involve a large order for Mitsubishi's new regional jets. Granted, different company, but same keiretsu...

whkento and JALPak like this.
  18. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL I think they will start with a single aircraft type first :p I hate to see JAL have airbus in their fleet though...even if it's only their LCC which is a separate company :p But looks like that will be the case

whkento likes this.
  19. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You seem to have forgotten about the merger between Hitachi and MHI....if it goes forward then there will be less worry about that for Mitsubishi (I suspect we are talking about the trading house here).

whkento and JALPak like this.
  20. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    In response to myself... there is some fresh blood to the speculation that one may earn QF status credits on JetStar Japan. In the rules and regulations to their current facebook competition, it says that the winner will not be able to earn points with the Qantas Frequent Flyer programme; nor will the winner be able to use Qantas points to upgrade their seat class.

So there's no definite answer to the question yet. But it's fun to speculate anyway that perhaps we will be able to earn points with Qantas (and hopefully JAL, too?). So hopefully the model will follow that of JQ, 3K and VF rather than the non-earning BL.

22. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just wish they would allow you to earn Fly On points as i`ll fly anyone domestically as it`s only a couple of hours flight.

Interesting about QF FF but that would be serious conflict of interest for JAL surely as they would be running programs and surely Qantas would then have to come up with a credit card in Japan and start marketing etc.

wingspan likes this.
  23. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    With QF and JL owning 42% of the company each, I daresay that if you can earn points with one of their frequent flyer programs they would bring the other online too.

You can earn QF points on Jetstar Asia or Valuair flights, but as far as I know (which isn't far at all!) there is no affiliated credit card in either Singapore or Indonesia. Plus if JetStar Japan is using the same infrastructure as the rest of the JetStar company then it shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate paying an extra fee (which in Australia is anywhere from about $15 to about $45) in order to book into a points-earning fare.

24. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    JAL and QF are each owning 1/3. QF will never own more than 1/3 unless the Japanese gov't changes the laws. And Jetstar is a QF LCC brand and they are involve with all other Jetstar brands and JL only owns 1/3 of the Jetstar Japan brand. The kind of involvements aren't the same.

25. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    well domestic or longhaul don't make a difference to you. You will just have a couple of your SPs to knock yourself out :rolleyes: :p