Yes, a 1k does mean something...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bonnerbl, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today on a PS flight JFK-SFO I was in line waiting to board when a rather objectionable guy sauntered up and positioned himself not quite in front of me but at an angle seemingly so he could easily cut in He was loudly talking on his cell phone demanding something or other. And of course he had three carryons. When boarding started he moved right away in front of me and then stopped - he wasn't GS, 1K, or First - and didn't move. I had to move around him to proceed. After I settled in my seat along came the non-status biz folks and wouldn't you know he was going to sit right next to me. He promptly spread his stuff all over his seat, and the arm rest, spilling onto me (no comment//apology) and insisted on all 3 of his items going in the overhead. Barked to the FA to take his jacket. Entitlement oozed from every pore. When the meal service began he wanted the same entree I did and when informed there were only two of them on board began to grouse. Well I had noticed when I boarded that I was at the end of the GS-1K-FC people and thought to myself now this is going to be interesting.... Sure enough not long after the FA came by, called me by name, and put the desired entree in front of me. He got his third choice. You should have seen his face <grin>. Entitlement needs something more than to be self-awarded!

2. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love it! I would have worn a grin from ear to ear if from the rest of the day if I were in your shoes...

However, to my mind, and very much talking against my book as a 1K taking advantage of upgrades on low fare classes, I do feel that UA needs to show more care towards people with no status paying full fares. Not boarding enough food for people in First on a full fare is totally unacceptable. Likewise, allowing anyone to board with three bags so as to inconvenience someone else is also totally unacceptable.

3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be fair, was he a non-status biz class passenger, or just a non-GS/1K biz class passenger? You do realize that everyone in J (including 1P - like me - and 2P) board after GS/1K/F, but before the other 1P's/*G's.

Regardless, the guy sounds like a boor.

4. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have, and have done it many times, say to him that the line starts in the back. Self-entitlement occurs when one keeps getting away with it.

IDGflygirl and hulagrrl210 like this.
  5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe he didn't get his meal choice because he "barked" at the FA.

6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a younger 1p flyer I get a lot of people who try to cut in front of me (SFO is really bad). I especially love when they try to pull a "well, I'm in first class" and I get to fire back, "yeah, well so am I" (upgraded of course). ALWAYS pisses them off, but you know what, I don't care. Cutting in line is seriously rude and kind of immature. I don't get what the big deal is. Unless you're fighting for bin space for your 3 carry-ons :rolleyes: the plane lands at the same time for everyone.

IDGflygirl and canucklehead like this.
  7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    So he was in biz? He must have been somewhere besides coach if he got a meal. ;) He may have been a boor, but he did have the right to board early.

IMHO, it is a waste of energy to get too excited about who boards when. In the final analysis, what difference does it make?

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, but on many (all?) 3 class flights (both PS and international), they board GS/1K/F, then business, then 1P/*G, etc. So the non-GS/1K business class passenger was trying to board ahead of where he should have been.

Of course, you're correct that it doesn't matter in the end, but it's still fun(ny) to share. :)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  9. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in the end it's not the boarding 'priority' that matters, -- but if someone is, in fact, impeding the process (by blocking the line & trying to board 'out of order') -- then it does impact everyone in the process![​IMG]

10. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If he was full fare (paid for that seat with $$$), he would have had 3 stars (***) on the manifest, and probably would have gotten his choice.

dgreen12 and IDGflygirl like this.
  11. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    The sense of entitlement part is what has bothered me since I have been fortunate enough to start flying premium cabins with some regularity. Aside from the standard "act like you've been there before," just because this bloke is in the front of the bus doesn't mean he is better than the people around him. Common courtesy, sense, and respect are usually always good for everyone.

I guess what I am trying to say is: don't be 1st class a**hole guy. There is one on every flight. Don't be that guy.

IDGflygirl and hulagrrl210 like this.
  12. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that there are 'gals' like that, too![​IMG][​IMG]

Always Be Flying likes this.
  13. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true -1st class a**hole gal is as big an issue as "....guy"

Also, when an FA greets you a "hi how ya doin" and a smile will invariably get you your meal choice (and a potential litany of other extras).

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    DYKWIA 'gals' can sometimes be worse[​IMG], -- I've seen some 'whine' endlessly throughout the flt![​IMG]

I always try to be friendly, -- & say 'hi' to the FAs while I'm boarding![​IMG]

15. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We like to board first on a 757 because we always sit in row one and that gets up up to our seats and out of everybody else's way, rather than standing in the aisle causing even more back-up for the passengers behind us.

Other than that, I don't much care. I even like to allow folks to go in front of me, just to be polite.

Yesterday at the store I approached the check-out counter at the same exact time as an older, frail looking lady. I motioned her in front of me, and she motioned me in front of her. I said, "No, I insist. Please go ahead." and she said, "No, I insist. Please go first".

Yikes, do you think that she thought I was and even older and frailer looking lady? [​IMG]

Moose likes this.
  16. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, I only care boarding early enough so that I can guarantee overhead space for my carry on. I hate having to gate check my carryons.

17. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    He was a non-status biz pax. The whole point I was trying to make was he was boorish and extremely self-important, but life has a way of dealing with that. In this case it was despite his sense of entitlement - the 1K in the seat next to him got the entree not him.

18. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Shouldn't an actually FARE CLASS passenger be given priority over a status passenger on an upgrade? It would seem that someone PAYING for the actual fare class, be it C, D, Z, SHOULD be getting a first meal choice. It is was a Y/B up, maybe not, who knows.

19. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what is so confusing, -- if the pax regularly flew on a paid-F class fare on transcons, he would have some sort of status![​IMG][​IMG] Glad that your earned loyalty garnered bennies![​IMG]

20. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose that argument does have some merit, but when said paid fare passeneger acts like a doucheteroid, I am of the opinion that all of that goes out the window and the person who is not a jerkface becomes the winner.

sobore and IDGflygirl like this.
  21. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Zat ist not ze vay zee Protocol ist to be executed!

22. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you see he is being an a-wipe, the FA probably sees the same and acts accordingly.

23. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, it sounds like you are anti-elite status loyalty programs & bennies![​IMG]

24. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No, I am totally FOR status and bennies, but I think what we have SEEN in the past few years is that only PRICE PAYS and if one is actually paying for service, like buying a C,D or Z ticket, I think that the airlines are of the mind that this is superior than even an elite flying on a discounted Y ticket and simply upgrading with instrument or with UDU (in this case possibly by airline)

We have seen the complete destruction of upgrade availability and success through the implementation of paid upgrades at ticket purchase or check-in, even for what appears to be VERY LITTLE MARGINAL REVENUE, like 25-50$ a leg. These offers are being given to lowely status members and even NON-ELITE members as purchase options while elites waiting in the wings for upgrades with proper instruments or with other free upgrade programs are NOT being upgrade and de-prioritized in favor of the extra incremental revenue. I get that, but that isn't this. I this case PRESUMABLY the "douchbag" had apparently PAID for a biz seat, and regardless of action or status should be given the service for which they paid. I think that person has a pretty strong argument with the airline to say, hey I PAID for this seat and was given sub-standard expected service.