Year-end Asian Escapade: Anatomy of a Big-Time Redemption - 2016 Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYCUA1K, Dec 28, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Friday, 16 December 2016, I kicked off what has become a yearly event for me, going back to 2011. The “event”, my primary reason for playing the miles/points game, is a 3- to 4-week personal vacation during which I crisscross the Asian continent, usually N to SE, paying for most of it with loyalty points/miles.

Almost as much fun as the “event” itself is planning it. With so many cool places to visit, which ones do I pick? Once I have picked the places to visit, what would be the best way to get from one to the next, and where would I stay, all without dipping too much into hard currency? This ritual is my Annual Year-end Asian Escapade™, and welcome to the dissection of its 2016 Edition!

Every year, I pick the locations to visit based on a limited set of “guideposts”. The first two guideposts are almost always where I would be on Christmas day and on New Year’s Eve. Next, I might have a standing invitation from a colleague to visit his/her institution or laboratory in the region, which I can make part of the trip. Each year, I like to add at least one destination where I have never been. Lastly, there are places where I have been many times before and have friends I like to visit.

For 2016, I picked Pattaya Beach in the Gulf of Thailand as my New Year’s Eve destination. As for my Christmas destination, it was to be N Asia because I had a standing invitation from a Japanese neurologist who spent a year “interning” in my lab, to visit and give a talk at her institution in Tokushima. I suggested combining the visit with my Year-end Escapade and she said it would be best “just before Christmas”. Because Tokushima is near Osaka and Kyoto, I asked my colleague to meet me in Kyoto for a day of sightseeing. Since my business in Tokushima would conclude on December 22, I still needed to decide where I would be on Christmas day. I took a look at the map and I knew where I wanted to be on Christmas day because it’d be cool to see how they celebrate Xmas and it was just a quick hop from where I would be in Japan: Seoul (ICN), South Korea. With that, things were pretty much set. I would enter the region in N Asia, and then move to the SE Asia as we approached New Year. Having been to Shanghai every year since 2005, I have many friends there so it is one of the places that I usually like to include for a repeat visit. My port of entry and first stop would be Shanghai (PVG). As in the past, my last stop and exit port would be HKG four weeks later.

It was time to begin booking the flights. To get in [PVG] and out [HKG] of the region, I would pay hard cash, even though I had plenty of UA miles, because that would allow me to kill a couple of birds with one stone: [1] I had just gotten the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) visa card and needed to do a minimum spend of $4K to qualify for the huge 100K Chase Ultimate Reward signup bonus points, and [2] I was also short on PQM and PQD to requalify for 1K. What I needed was a revenue ticket that would cost me around $4K. With that in mind, I went to united.com, searched and I found exactly what I wanted. For $3,826, I would do:

LGA-ORD-PVG: GlobalFirst (A fare)
    [this buy would get me into the new UA POLARIS Lounge at ORD!]

HKG-ORD-LGA: Y+ with a W fare GPU waitlisted for BF

Next it was just a matter of connecting the dots to get the complete itinerary for my 2016 Year-end Asian Escapade™, which is shown on a map below. The lines with orange “glow” represent the inbound, N to SE portion of the trip until SIN, while the lines with the blue “glow” represent the outbound portion, with stops and side trips along the way, up to HKG and back to the US. The dashed and solid lines represent segments traveled on award or revenue tickets, respectively.

upload_2016-12-28_3-47-41.png

After entering N Asia and a brief stop in Shanghai (PVG), I would fly to Osaka (KIX) and then take the train to Kyoto, where my neurologist intern-friend would meet me the next day. We’d visit the temples and shrines that Kyoto is known for, have an early dinner in the historic Gion District of Kyoto and then take the train to Kobe and a bus to Tokushima (TKS). After a couple of days in Tokushima, I would fly to Tokyo (HND) and spend one night there, before flying to Seoul (ICN) a couple of days before Christmas day. From Seoul, it would be on to Singapore (SIN), which, along with Shanghai and Hong Kong, are places where I know people and like to return every chance I get, even very briefly. From SIN, I will make BKK my “base” from where I will (a) take a taxi to Pattaya Beach to celebrate New Year; (b) launch a roundtrip to Phnom Penh (PNH), a new city on this trip along with Tokushima and Pattaya; (c) spend 3 nights in BKK after returning from PNH; (d) do a roundtrip to Siem Reap – fourth time there in as many years; (e) return to BKK for 1 night, and, finally, (f) fly from BKK for a 4-night stop in Hong Kong (HKG) and before flying back to the US (HKG-ORD-LGA), exactly 4 weeks later.

With the itinerary completely drawn out and 427,011 UA miles on hand, I went to united.com to search for award tickets, segment-by-segment, that will get me from one place to the next. After I found pretty much everything, I got on the phone with a 1K desk agent to do the actual booking of the award tickets. I would provide the flights I found for each segment and the agent would confirm availability of award seats. After juggling things once or twice, like deleting or inserting segment, we wound up with the finalized itinerary, which is mapped above, and whose costs are detailed in the Table below. The notables: adding a stopover in Tokyo that was not in my original plan required purchasing a revenue ticket from Tokushima (TKS) to HND to keep the trip short and convenient; and the roundtrip from BKK to Siem Reap (REP) has required a revenue ticket every time in 4 tries due to lack *A award availability (PG is always a cheap and reliable alternative).

upload_2016-12-28_2-54-8.png

The whole trip required 185K redeemable miles to fly in business (I) or first (O), except for the short PVG-KIX hop that was in economy (X). I estimate that the total costs in cash of all the tickets that I purchased with UA miles would have been $5,120. Out of pocket to pay for 3 revenue tickets and the fees for the award tickets came out to: -$3,826 -$652 = -$4,478.

Net on air tickets: $5,120 - $4,478 = $642.

Before redeeming for stays, I already came out slightly ahead, which is the point!

With the cities and how long I would stay in each now set in stone because the tickets had been purchased and confirmed, I was ready to start redeeming points for my stays. On hand, I had:

HHonors points: 960K
    Hyatt GP points: 126K
    Marriott Rewards 209K

The color-coded Table below shows the properties where I decided to book in each of my stopover cities, as also shown on the itinerary map with the logo of each chain or loyalty program (Yellow = Hilton; Blue = Hyatt; Green = Marriott; Grey: unaffiliated chain):

upload_2016-12-28_2-55-17.png

The negative values in the column labeled “Cash Value” represent what I paid out of pocket. The positive “Cash Values” are cash estimates of costs of the awards. For instance, at Hilton Pattaya there were no awards available so I booked at suite outright at huge discount. Adding it all up shows that I using points, I “saved” at least $1,872 relative to what it would have cost me if I had paid for it all with cash.

The last column labelled “SUITES” indicates whether (i) I booked a suite outright as an award (A) or as revenue (PD), (ii) I did not request a suite upgrade (NR), (iii) I requested a suite upgrade and was upgraded (R-YES) or denied (R-NO), or (iv) unknown at the time of this writing (?).

Notables: I had one free "anniversary" night from the Chase Hyatt visa so I combined it with a 2-night points-only award stay to redeem a 3-night stay at Park Hyatt Siem Reap. Also, I had one free “anniversary” night on the Chase Marriott Premier visa that I redeemed for a free night at Renaissance Bangkok.

Even though I had the points and could have redeemed award stays at a Hilton property in BKK (e.g. Conrad), I decided to use my Marriott Rewards points to redeem a 3-night stay in a suite at JW Marriott BKK. Also, I redeemed HGP points for a stay at Hyatt Regency in Kyoto because, incredibly, Hilton has no properties there. In Tokyo, I redeemed HGP points for one night at Hyatt Regency, which is literally across the street from Hilton Tokyo, for a change of pace. Points remaining after redeeming:

HHonors points: 307K
    Hyatt GP points: 42K
    Marriott Rewards 24K

As of this writing, I have completed the N Asia portion of the Escapade, leaving Seoul (ICN) in Business Class on CA the day after Xmas, changing to another CA flight Beijing (PEK) and continuing in Business Class to Singapore (SIN), where I am now.

Notables: At Millennium Seoul Hilton I requested a suite upgrade and got a junior suite. I arrived at Hilton Singapore liking my chances to score an upgrade to an EXECUTIVE suite – the property has no standard suites! – because I’d redeemed points for a King Hilton Executive Plus, which is just a level below the EXECUTIVE suite. The upgrade was not automatic but a manager promptly approved my request for a complimentary upgrade to an EXECUTIVE suite from where I am writing this.

Out of 13 stays at Hilton properties in 2016, I paid outright for a suite at Conrad Chicago and Hilton Fort Lauderdale; I just redeemed points for a suite at Hilton Shanghai; and I requested but was denied an upgrade right here at Hilton Singapore in back May! Therefore, out of 10 stays for which I did not pay or redeem points for a suite I cleared 9 complimentary suite upgrades (details coming soon)!

From here in SIN, it’s on to an Oceanview Suite at Hilton Pattaya and the New Year festivities! I will update the post if anything notable happens. Until then Peace on Earth (pictures below depict the huge Christmas tree and décor garnishing the lobby of Millennium Seoul Hilton -- they do celebrate Christmas...Big Time!).

upload_2016-12-28_2-57-46.png

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well all I can add is that now that we have an American President, maybe in years ahead destinations which are more accessible to Americans both on the East AND West coast, may provide value.

I don't think anyone's argued that if your goal is Southeast Asia, the points and miles game can present significant savings.

Most people who are participants in the game ( willingly or unwillingly) do not have a yearly goal of visiting Southeast Asia.

Glad you were able to find something that makes you feel as if your accumulated points were of some use.

Have a Happy New Year.

Oh and btw, a lot of those places are the last stops Mr Snowden made before declaring his ultimate need to separate.

I , for one, feel he was just a misguided kid who saw an injustice and couldn't find someone who could help him process it. Many of us don't have the youth excuse.

Unfortunately, others exist who see his behavior as acts of Treason.

Who is right? Not for me to decide but I know which side I'd offer assistance to if needed.

Having been around, we try to play the game that lies before us. A lot of this globalism has put some folks in a rather odd unsolicited position that they do not wish to remain.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whew! Great itinerary! Definitely the makings of a memorable event. For me way too much effort on the planning - I'm more the general idea and freestyle form there.
    And if I took three - four weeks I don't think I could come back.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised you didn't redeem for SQ on the PEK-SIN-BKK segments... or is that impossible these days with UA miles?

I'll probably end up with a Year-End Asian Escapade myself at the end of 2017 (I don't do this EVERY year, but I do it SOME years). Yours sounds quite fun. (I usually end up with a lot of AV miles and AS miles, and throw in random things on top.)

Dublin_rfk and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel to Asia because I like traveling to Asia. I have no idea why Snowden did what he did, but I suspect that it is not very relevant to my 'escapades'.

Happy New Year from Pattaya Beach in the Gulf of Thailand!

upload_2016-12-31_3-46-42.png

iolaire likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have loved to do at least the PEK-BKK segment on SQ! Unfortunately, SQ was not an option that came up for any of the segments when I did the search on united.com. The reciprocal "silent treatment" between UA and SQ does not seem like it will end any time soon. However, that won't be a handicap in the future because I will begin booking directly through SQ by transferring Chase UR points I am earning through the CSR to SQ miles. I already joined SQ KrisFlyer and transferred 45K miles into the account by converting starpoints and AMEX MR points. Having said that, "premium" TG cabins, which, as you can see on the map, I am flying in quite a bit are really nothing to sneeze at.

Please give a full account, especially the planning and the redeeming process. It is really fun!

Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  7. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh and my favorite the past few years have been the snot pieces of fake journalism that folks have written which if I'm not mistaken firms like Gawker Media and Buzzfeed have been forced to be accountable.

If you're a traveler reading any of this. Be careful. These programs offer no rewards for revenue, and very little redemption value. The "southeast" asia thing where you can get "rooms" for 3000 POINTS a night is a blatant scam.

You're so much better off finding real business owners to deal with directly. Privately owned firms such as ... or any other.

Spend your money where the folks who get it aren't operating some nonsense plan behind your back to rig the rates to make them unredeemable in real life.

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I've flown TG J/F (I did a CO redemption that was to DPS split between SQ, TG and EK, and one UA redemption pre-deval to SIN/BKK/CNX/HKG split between SQ and TG, while an intra-Asia F redemption was only 22.5k one way). It's not shabby at all.

My understanding is UA won't SHOW SQ regional J, but it is bookable if it shows on partner sites (look it up on ANA and then feed segments to UA CS reps).

But using UR->SQ like you're planning to do is probably the best way to go, the prices are good and SQ saves the best for their members (plus a 15% discount for all-SQ metal), plus stopovers are only a nominal number of additional miles.

I'll see what I can do on the planning+travel side.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At the risk of stealing the spotlight from NYCUA1K, I've stitched the basics together.

Going over, it will be EVA Air J via 87,000 AV Lifemiles (SEA-TPE-BKK). It will be after Christmas due to family obligations that I dearly cherish. :)

I have a friend who wants to hit the Full Moon Party on Ko Phangan on NYE. I'm kind of too damned old for this, but this is a poor excuse when my friend is older than I am. I also want more of the 1980's backpacker-on-beach vibe instead of wild bucket-fueled raging Australian party vibe, so I suggested getting cheap bungalows on Bottle Beach, which is the opposite side of the island from Haad Rin. We'll longtail boat or 4x4 taxi to the party/resort. I also plan some hiking as well as snorkeling in Angthong Marine Park.

To and from the island is going to either be Bangkok Air through Ko Samui + a ferry from Bangrak pier, or flying through Surat Thani and bus+ferry with Nok Air. They both have advantages and disadvantages: Bangkok Air is less time-consuming, Nok Air is cheaper and the package is all-inclusive (I'd have to buy separate ferry tickets flying PG through USM).

Then there's a couple days for both of us in Bangkok. At the moment I've penciled in a cheap hotel near the Skytrain on Sukhumvit, but it's penciled in because there's no cash + points availability for the Conrad Bangkok. ;) Once there is, I'll likely take it. Friend is TBD on staying location.

I then proceed to Hong Kong for two nights at the Dorsett Mongkok by myself. Flights yet to be booked; options include burning Avios for CX J, or cash for EK F. Since AS decided to boost the cost of EK F to an outrageous number of miles, it turns out that the most reasonable way to get a shower at 35,000 feet is a cash ticket on an Emirates fifth freedom route (looks like it might be $600-700 one way advance purchase, but January 2018 isn't being sold at the moment). It's frivolous for sure, but 3 hours of showers, bars and Dom... well, maybe.

The Dorsett Mongkok is maybe not very extravaganza-ish but it was $100 a night in Hong Kong with a fully cancellable reservation, which is a steal. I suppose I could burn points at the Conrad HK or Macao, except I don't really want Macao this trip, nor do I want to pay the points/cash for the Conrad HK at the moment (and I don't think I'll have 160k HH points lying around by December, especially if I spend them on P+C at Conrad Bangkok). If I am TRULY feeling spendy, it will probably be one of the Conrad, Hotel Icon or Cordis at Langham Place. But I am not sure I will be feeling that. A clean room and a nice shower is fine for me in Hong Kong; I like being out in the city.

I then plan on flying AA F HKG-LAX-SEA (AS redemption, 67.5k miles) and dining at the Pier F lounge and the QF F lounge at LAX. Yeah, I know, I should be flying CX or JL... except I will probably tweak that award to take a stopover in SEA and use a "free one way" to go somewhere else on AS/AA... for another trip. Though if JL F showed up... maybe I'd take it? I'm hearing that CX F is getting cutbacks, and because of OW lounge rules and AS award rules where you can't mix partners like CX/AA, the only way I get OW F lounge access at both ends is flying AA into and out of LAX. I'm thinking that good sit-down meals bookending the flight + showers is more important than CX soft product instead of AA in-flight. From what I hear the JL product is more impressive... maaaaaybe I'd switch to that.

So that's my anatomy so far. Now on to optimizing. :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    NYCUA1K likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting that you stayed at the Renaissance in Bangkok and not at the many Hiltons in the city!

NYCUA1K likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I noted in the report, I had a free night for a category 4 Marriott hotel on the Chase Marriott visa that I needed to redeem before it expired. The Renaissance BKK is a cat 4 hotel so it was truly a freebie. Can't beat that!

Also, I have not stayed at a Hilton hotel in BKK since 2014. As I have said repeatedly, I patronize Hilton primarily but not exclusively. I will switch to Marriott or Hyatt either because I would get better value or simply for a change of pace. During the just-completed 2016 escapade, I also stayed at JW Marriott BKK for 3 nights, redeeming points outright for a suite. A couple of years ago I stayed at Grand Hyatt Singapore on C+P because that offered me better value than either Hilton or Conrad Singapore.

I am an equal opportunity opportunist, despite my unabashed defense of Hilton Honors against 'travel gurus', who do not seem to know much about the program but constantly disparage it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    eponymous_coward likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No steal at all. The more, the merrier, so thank you for contributing your thought process and planning here rather than starting a new thread, which I hope you'll do after the trip is finalized! I have some of my own "notables" from my just completed escapade to share, which will update info missing in the tables above and close the 2016 chapter.
    I see that you intend to party it out in the Gulf of Thailand. Ko Phangan (just a short hop to Koh Samui) Full Moom Party on NYE sounds like it could be a blast. I just chalked it up as something to keep in mind.
    I am truly impressed that you've begun planning almost year out! By the time you finalize your 'escapade' it'll probably be perfect.

One thing to keep in mind, which may alter your calculus about redeeming points for stays at Conrad BKK or Conrad HKG, is that by the end of this month, Hilton Honors will junk the hotel category system and go fully revenue-based. The result promises to be cash+points awards "on steroids", as they will become galore (you'll be able to use any combination of cash and points in increments of 1K points). The only mystery is whether the implementation would still maintain the inherent good value of C+P awards that makes them almost universally liked. We'll know soon enough and I am ready to do a pre vs. post comparison to see whether we'll get hit big, come out ahead, or about the same.

Please feel free to keep updating your thinking and planning here until you're ready to share the final product in a new 'anatomy' thread.

Cheers!

eponymous_coward likes this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our escapades went like this:

December 26: Star Alliance LAX-ICN-PEK-BKK 4 seats all in business 320K UA miles
    12/27 - 12/31 Millennium Hilton Bangkok: 2 suites for 4 nights for 400K HH points - got a 100K HH points refund because one of the suites was dusty at check in.
    12/31 - 1/2 Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok: 2 rooms for 2 nights for 152K CC points - got a 38K CC points refund because the 2 rooms were not on the same floor.
    1/2 - 1/9 Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok $94 room/night upgraded to a suite for the kids and their grandmother including Diamond benefits.
    1/2 - 1/18 Marriott Marquis Queen's Park Bangkok Did the 7 night Category 5 Air + Hotel redemption (+132K UA miles) upgraded to an M-Suite including Platinum benefits. Review is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-hotels-bangkok-thailand-2014-present-40.html
    1/9 - 1/18 Marriott Marquis Queen's Park Bangkok $113 per room/night moved the kids and their grandmother to the Marriott and they got upgraded to a M-Suite with full Platinum benefits
    January 18: Japan Airways BKK-KIX-LAX 4 seats all in business 220K AA miles.

Total out of pocket cash spend on 3-weeks luxury air and hotel less than $2K for a family of 4. :)

[​IMG]

eponymous_coward and NYCUA1K like this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Doing it for a family of 4, that is literally a Big-Time redemption! You definitely took advantage of the miles/points game and accomplished precisely what it is supposed to and why it's worth playing: to make affordable a trip that could have been prohibitively expensive if paid for out of pocket.

Well done, sir, well done!

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was cheaper than staying at home, really! :)

Bragging aside, we do this once or twice a year but don't know how long I can sustain this as the accounts are getting animec with current remaining tally of 2.85 million miles/points!

eponymous_coward and NYCUA1K like this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, maybe you should just limit to just once a year! Doing a Big-Time redemption twice a year, even if occasionally, would be tough on the points/miles bank, considering that I deplete mine as a solo traveler doing it once a year. For a family of 4? I am impressed that you were even able to pull it off twice a year, even if rarely.

Kalboz and eponymous_coward like this.
  17. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Further optimizations:

- We're in Bangkok for two nights at the beginning (cheap hotel on Sukhumvit) and at the end- Hilton Millennium on points + a NOR1 upgrade that if it pans out, will mean two nights in a River Suite for 34,000 points and $100 all-in. :)

The plan is to acclimate on the cheap to start, and by the end take a nice hotel on the river to see the tourist spots (since we will be flying into DMK this is fine).

Thanks to some work travel I could PROBABLY get my own room at Conrad but the prices have spiked badly since February on the Hilton side, to the point where it's kind of an "eh" deal for a room that one of us (my travel companion) is going to be mostly crashing in his first night when he gets in ~midnight Bangkok time.

(He paid for an economy ticket on United from/to Austin, despite my offers of help to use his miles. He wants to requalify for status. Well, you can lead them to water but you can't make them drink the Dom...)

- Hong Kong... well, got a deal I couldn't refuse on Cordis at Langham Place. I was given some hotels.com funny money and bought some of my own at a discount at raise.com, so net this ended up being $230 for two nights after I tossed in $190 of gift funny money). I've always fancied the place. It's not affiliated with the US/Western chains, but five star for around $220 a night in Hong Kong is pretty good value I reckon.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    iolaire likes this.