Yeah for Passenger Rights!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by skyvan, Jul 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2012/07/southwest-airfare-fee-ruling-what-it-means-072512

Southwest and Spirit lost a challenge to the new consumer protection laws requiring prices to include tax and the 24-hour cancel without penalty rule was upheld.

Now I'm just waiting for news like this about the UA 4 Mile case.

mht_flyer and uggboy like this.
  2. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand the 24 hour cancellation rule, but I don't get the part requiring the inclusion of government taxes and fees, I don't know of any other industry (well, gas stations) that require the final price be displayed. Not hotels, not the Apple Store, not the grocery store, it's just more on the war against airlines.
    0% chance UA will have to honor 4 mile tickets.

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When airlines have to show the inclusive price for fare and taxes and fees consumers can more easily compare prices between the airlines. Not all carriers include the YQ in the fare.
    Since all those taxes and fees are required, then it is fair to show the total price vs the seemingly cheap fare without the fees

uggboy, HaveMilesWillTravel and kwai like this.
  4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every price quote everywhere for everything should include all taxes and fees. Period.

desamo, mht_flyer, skyvan and 4 others like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    War against airlines?!

What other industry had final prices that differed so much from the advertised price? I guess hotels with resort fees would be another example, and I am a great fan of mandating incorporating those into the displayed price because everything else is just misleading. The Apple store adds sales tax, but that's it. And perhaps a state display recycling fee. I'd love to see those incorporated into the displayed priced, but it's not quite as high on my priority list.

6. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airlines had to show the price included with their fees like YQ, but the government fees were not included, it just goes to show how much the non-airline taxes and fees are.
    And re the recycling fee, what are you talking about? I've purchased three Macs in the past month, and every time I was given the option (by Apple) to recycle my old computer for free.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I could swear UA (etc.) didn't include YQ in the advertised price or the one shown on the first few page when doing searches. Could be wrong, though.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/ewfaqsgen.htm

The recyling of the old display is paid for upfront in CA...

8. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the years I have been booking flights, many international ones, I can't remember a single case of them not including YQ at any time in the process. I don't know about other airlines though.
    I think that all airline required surcharges and fees, like YQ, should be included in all advertised fares, but government taxes and fees shouldn't have to be displayed until the page where you enter your CC#.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the issue is too many passengers use multiple sites to "compare prices" on flights and not all sites posted the fares in the same fashion, while site A may include all mandatory costs, site B may not show them until final booking. So, those that cannot determine the differences between tax and fee included and not included won.:rolleyes:

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be allowed anymore in the US.

http://www.frommers.com/articles/7594.html