Yay! Weather disruptions anticipated for LHR on Oct. 28.

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by evanderm, Oct 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. evanderm

evanderm Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. evanderm

evanderm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I managed to get to Europe today instead of Monday but I still need to get back to LHR on Monday. Have made some pro-active avios bookings :)

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

The forecasts are getting progressively more gloomy as things get close, so I don't think it's going to be a good idea to be on the road after tomorrow.

They're expecting the worst weather since the storm of '87, which was tossing ferries around like toy boats, so I would plan to be there and not go outside or just not plan to transit London until it's over.

Good luck either way :)

evanderm likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Landed @ BRU early Sunday morning...light to moderate turb on short final, OK in a 772 but not fun in the ATR or RJ. There were strong winds in BRU Sunday eve/overnight.

I had originally planned on heading to LHR yesterday - Monday - using Avios but I'm glad I went to EDI instead. No delay on LH via FRA and nothing more than the usual Scottish autumnal breeze along the Firth. Not nearly as bumpy as BRU on Sunday. However I saw BA's machine at BRU - cxld LHR departure, no doubt. LHR in general sucks rocks when there's disruption and even then, as we all know on this board and elsewhere, BA are the ultimate agents of irop schedule havoc and customer non-service.

6. evanderm

evanderm Silver Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned, I made it to Europe on Saturday but still had to get back to LHR on Monday. I had a cash booking for the evening and an Avios booking for the morning. I ended up forfeiting the Avios booking but still managed to get on the morning flight with my cash booking. It was definitely windy. The incoming BA 767 had to perform a go-around when landing at AMS and all the other weather issues lead to a 2hr delay. We were on board waiting for approx. 1 hour before we pushed back.

The plane was rocking quite substantially at the gate, imagine light chop in the air but realize that passengers were boarding and the jetbridge was pushed up against the aircraft. Never have I experienced a quicker climb in a 767. Once we were at cruising altitude, everything smoothed out and things had died down enough in London by the time we landed (around noon) that it was just a regular windy day.

viguera likes this.