Yahoo world's poshest hotels confuses Raffles Singapore with Fairmont

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by MSPeconomist, Jun 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just stumbled on a Yahoo Travel page, under UK and Ireland, entitled "The world's poshest hotels." One can easily argue with some of the choices, but toward they end the list Raffles Hotel in Singapore and give a reasonable description of it in words. However, the picture of a modern suite with modern furnishings, a floor-to-ceiling window, and highrise views of the city is not Raffles Hotel, it's the property currently known as the Fairmont, formerly Raffles the Plaza. Check it out #mce_temp_url#

RichardInSF likes this.
  2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    About the only people at Yahoo who would know a posh hotel from a hole in the ground are the founders and maybe a past or present CEO, and I bet they aren't writing hotel reviews!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Author's bio... courtesy of Google:

http://www.journalistdirectory.com/journalist/XmzmA/Laura-Tait

4. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless they renovated their suites very very recently, that photo does not look like a suite in Fairmont Singapore.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then any guesses where it is? I've never stayed in the Fairmont/Raffles the Plaza, but I guessed from the windows, view and modern furnishings. I also envisioned someone confusing Raffles with Raffles the Plaza. It is most certainly not Raffles for many reasons.

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks quite a bit like the small room to your left in the Conrad Executive club from the view- the furniture not so much although the colours and general design are correct- so maybe a suite or just a photo shoot there and then the names were confused? It is not usual given production deadlines for photos to get mixed up. In any event- I wouldn't stay at the Raffles if I wanted a luxury hotel in Singapore.

7. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's not even in Singapore. The buildings outside the window don't look like buildings in Singapore and there's a mountain in the distance, something that Singapore doesn't have. Maybe it's the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo? The colors, design, furniture, and views seem very similar to the photo of MO Tokyo from the previous page of that article.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's anywhere it will be hard to identify. However I am confident that it's not another Raffles property.

NYBanker likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This made me laugh.

+1

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have an entire thread dedicated to identifying airports from obscure photos. Seems this would be a healthy challenge for them.

sgkis likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the Raffles Hotel in Singapore that's for sure!
    My guess.........the MO in Tokyo!