X, R inventory removed from ExpertFlyer AA Award & Upgrade search listings.

Discussion in 'ExpertFlyer' started by Eloy Fonseca Neto, Jun 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got this email from Expertflyer! For those who use actively expertflyer, this is a downside for us!

Dear ELOY,
    American Airlines has informed us that as of tomorrow June 5th, AA will be removing the ability to view X & R upgrade inventory which will affect channels, including ExpertFlyer.com.
    Here is the official statement from American:
    American is now processing all upgrade requests through a single queue, ensuring upgrades are awarded in a manner that is fair and consistent for all of our AAdvantage customers. Customers may request upgrades when making their reservations, or at any point prior to travel by visiting My Reservations on AA.com.
    As such, starting tomorrow X & R classes will be removed from the AA Award & Upgrade search. In addition, any Active Flight Alert for X or R on an AA flight will be changed to Expired.
    Thank you for your understanding in this matter and continued support of ExpertFlyer.com
    -The ExpertFlyer.com Team

Note:
    Click here to opt out of feature announcements or other general subscriber notices. Alternatively, simply log in, click on "My Account", and click on "Opt Out" on the General tab.

jetsetboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got an email from ExpertFlyer below:

I personally never really used EF for viewing X/R classes, but I'm hoping this doesn't affect the C/A visibility for business/first (which I do view).

I wonder if this is a sign they're going to provide upgrade list priority on the site natively? Still I find it unfortunate that we have less transparency.

garyst16 likes this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You beat me posting this by mere seconds...

Just one more piece of info AA is withholding from the public...

beaktor likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't really look for X & R. I'd be much more upset if the removed A, J, Z, and U though.

jmjgp12 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They mentioned at the MegaDO that this was coming to the AA app and I'm assuming would be available on AA.com, too. We will see though.

I'm with you though, I never look for X or R. A, J, Z, and U is another story though. Those are secure for now, so I'll save my panic for another day. :)

beaktor and Aktchi like this.
  6. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    This change is limited to X/R, C/A will still be viewable.

7. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too bad. I often do day-before bookings for work and base decisions on X availability.

8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do hope that they maintain the A,J, Z and U inventory available as well. But this is a door for the continue changes!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Award inventory is available from other sources. For those who upgrade frequently, EF's ability to display X/R was very useful for last minute upgrades and flight changes on day of departure. The functionality will be missed.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I never said it was only available from EF, but that's what I use. It does have some utility as you mentin, but it all depends on how you travel. I still don't think this will have nearly the impact that losing the above mentioned inventories would. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't often book on such short notice, but when I did I never bothered to look. I just requested the upgrades when booking and held the booking instead of paying for it. 95% of the time my upgrades would clear on the next screen, and I'd then book. Not scientific or exact but worked well enough for me instead of signing into EF.

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The X/R inventory availibilty on EF was not much use me since I rarely fly on short notice.
    Cant help but feel that the changes are a direct result of the recent rash of bitching and moaning posts on Flyertalk lately about upgrades when in (or approaching) airport control.:)

Some may remember the early days of EF when one coud see notes placed by AA CSRs In your PNR and the multitude of comments/complaints on FT had AA killing it in very short order ... discretion is always at a premium over there I hope but am not at all confident that the aformentioned mindset will not spread to MP.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found this sentence more interesting. "American is now processing all upgrade requests through a single queue, ensuring upgrades are awarded in a manner that is fair and consistent for all of our AAdvantage customers. ".

I'd really like to know more about that!

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm here hoping that I will never have to use EF to figure out X or R class availability, because I want my upgrades to clear right at T-100 ;)

carwag25, jbcarioca and DCtrAAveler like this.
  15. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another great question for Suzanne.

I've already posted the question in regards to this change, and currently awaiting moderator review. Hope it will get picked as one of the questions for the chat session.

16. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    At one time, there were at least three different systems handling upgrades at different phases. Now, once an upgrade is requested, its priority stays intact.

jbcarioca and zphelj like this.
  17. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the other sources?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    EF has been my source with AA upgrade info, but I believe KVS can search for A inventory.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have the ability to book your work travel through aa.com (sadly, I don't) then you can just put the booking on hold and see if the upgrade goes through before you purchase. If X/R inventory is available, a requested upgrade will clear immediately after putting the itinerary on hold.

20. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a related note, a DFW-SFO cleared at T-100 for me yesterday and I can't even recall the last time that happened. Might just be coincidence of course ...

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    This change only affects X/R, all other award an upgrade inventory classes will still be available. AA C upgrade inventory is only available via ExpertFlyer.com

gleff, tommy777 and zphelj like this.
  22. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that AA AAgents will be blocked from seeing X/R inventory within-100 hrs as well-- so most certainly not a deficiency of ExpertFlyer

23. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Which I've personally found to be one of the most useful things about ExpertFlyer! :)

ExpertFlyer Voice likes this.
  24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Due to recent situation, flights I'd booked several months back and had cleared into X close to 100 hours before were cancelled or delayed, forcing me on to other flights. It was a real pain with no visibility into X by even the EXP agents!

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint