WWYD: Orlando edition...

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by viguera, Aug 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    SMH... another "problem" with deciding where to stay on my end... :)

I have an upcoming conference from Gartner at the Hilton at the end of September, and I have no Hilton status (gave up on them early in the year).

I've been putting all my eggs on the Hyatt (Platinum), IHG (Platinum) and SPG (Gold) baskets, but of course it's hard to overlook the convenience of the venue hosting the event. It's a nice hotel too, complete with a lazy river and all that, although I'm not sure I'm going to have enough downtime to enjoy it.

The other chains have some pretty bland properties in the general vicinity, although I can probably spend a couple of days in town before/after the event and just do whatever I want.

So... what would you do if you were in my shoes? :)

KathInJax and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    depends on the answer of how important being at the host venue is to you.
    no doubt but we've all been to conferences that we need to attend but are not the really important ones. If your conference is a really important one then bite the bullet and stay at the Hilton, if not a major conference for you, then for sure utilize a property of one of your current programs.

I'm not a fan of Orlando, so I always stayed at a chain where I needed stay credit or the property that was part of a great points earning promo.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear you... I went to ServiceNow in Vegas and as much as I would have loved to give my business to IHG, it wasn't possible. The agenda demanded that I stayed near the conference (which was at Aria, so it wasn't bad at all). Sadly, the stay credit for Vdara went nowhere, as the MGM/Hyatt joint venture wasn't live at the time.

In the case of Orlando though, just looking at my agenda now makes it almost unreasonably inconvenient to stay anywhere else. The sad part is that even at the corporate rate and with a rather sizable upgrade, and the double/triple point promo that Hilton is having, the points that I earn will be pretty much useless after the recent devaluation.

Someone did suggest just credit to airline miles, but I think I'll keep the points & points earnings preference then transfer them out to miles after they post.

It does make me cry when someone else pays for a week-long stay (at a pretty high rate at that) and I can't put the credit towards any of my preferred chains :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that you can't do 4 cheap stays before you go to the conference? At least you would have gold status for your stay there and for the rest of 2014.

We actually like Orlando, but then again, I am not too far away. In your downtime, you might look at going to see the Tiffany collection at the Morse museum, the Carillon at Bok Tower gardens or a boat tour of the lake & canals in Winter Park.

viguera likes this.
  5. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, the Peabody hotel will become the Hyatt - closing on October 1st. Since your stay is at the end of September, you just missed the Hyatt as it joins on October 1st.

viguera likes this.