WWDC Keynote Today

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Captain Oveur, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did the conference have any really big things to people? I don't have any Apple products (yet), and I am far from an Apple hater, but did anything really turn heads today?

Just seems to me the iCloud thing was an inevitability given today's technology. The pushing of the music is nifty, but to me, coolest thing was the Geo-tagging of notes to oneself.....that seemed pretty cool.

Again, not a hater, just a little underwhelmed. Or are my expectations jaded?

Thoughts on the keynote today?

bakedpatato likes this.
  2. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are my thoughts. I own a Mac Pro, a Power Mac G4, a PowerBook G4 , a Time Capsule and an iPod Touch gen 1. I am an admitted Steve Jobs and MacBook(sometimes iMac) hater.
    • Die, BBM, Die. Former Blackberry user here.
    • Please, AmazonMP3, offer something like iTunes Match.
    • On that note Steve Jobs is exaggerating things again; while AmazonMP3 doesn't automatically download songs to all your devices, any device with Flash can download music you bought from AmazonMP3...admittedly songs that you bought after Amazon Cloud Sync came out or songs you manually added.
    • No one will be making jokes about how the iPad needs a wire anymore :D
    • Apple is copying Google with the "Notification Drawer"
    • Lion has nothing I want unless they improved the OpenGL performance in it...highly unlikely. Can't believe they're charging $30 for it. Mixed feelings about the no media/download only distribution; I have very fast internet but I know some people don't. Plus caps for our lovely European and Canadian friends.(and some Americans too :mad:)
    • Microsoft's E3 keynote was more interesting as they showed off Mass Effect 3.

3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thought was I am surprised RIM's stock didn't tank more this afternoon. My friends who are sticking with BBs are doing so only because they all still think that BBM is the greatest invention ever. When they realize that they can now rejoin the other half of their friends who have a modern phone with iMessage I can see them jumping ship very quickly.

I have to say I am also very intrigued by iTunes Match. I have several old CDs on that I ripped years ago in a lower bit rate back when harddrive space was at more of a premium (think before the first iPod ever even came out). Just the other day I was thinking about reripping those songs so that they would sound better though I know the CD is in one of four huge boxes from a remodel that have never been unpacked. It sounds like if I want to get the higher bit rate now I can just pony up the $25 fee to Apple, get the new tracks (DRM-free) and then drop the service theoretically. There are still a lot of questions to answer I think about that service though it sounds promising for a start.

I am also a little concerned about parts of the MobileMe service not discussed -- like iWeb pages and iDisk -- though I am sure everything will be ironed out in due time.

For those complaining about how iCloud is not a streaming music service like Amazon or Google have come out with I still don't know when I would ever really use something like that so I for one will not miss it.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't really pay much attention to it, certainly not as much as the last few, probably because a lot of the stuff that was announced was a given.

The iOS changes are interesting but long overdue, especially the revamp of the notification system.

iMessage is interesting, but again it only brings delivery confirmation and a few other things that have been out in other products for a while. And with RIM turning BBM into a platform and talking about supporting Android apps via a player, it should be interesting to see where it ends up.

The MobileMe stuff is a toss-up... Apple always seems to have dissed the subscribers pretty hard. Now they seem to be dropping online storage altogether, along with the galleries. The only redeeming feature of "find my iPhone" is now free for all, so with all the alternatives out there for cloud storage and sync, and Google jumping in the mix, it remains to be seen if it's motivation enough for people to stay onboard or switch just because of it.

I'd like to see Apple go back to innovating for a change... it seems for the last couple of years they've been grabbing bits and pieces of existing tech and grafting it into their products. The iPhone was revolutionary in a way when it first came out, in spite of missing a bunch of features, but as of late it looks like they're just grabbing well-known, well-established (and overdue) features and incorporating them into the OS. Personally I'd like for them to just blow my socks off one day.

5. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Devil's advocate here(I hate SJ and I agree that he's just melding tech together and using the RDF to make sheeple want to buy overpriced goods) but one could argue that polishing half baked ideas and creating a nice integrated (and shiny) package is an innovation in of self. MS has had to play catch up with Apple in terms of tablets even though things like UMPC have predated the iPad. Microsoft Surface is much older than iOS but it was SJ's vision that crated the multitouch UIs we have today(which I don't like but that's a different story). KDE and Gnome have had virtual desktops waaay before OSX...and on and on and on.

6. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why Waterloo hasn't even attempted to make BBM multiprotocol is beyond me :mad::rolleyes:. And don't worry about RIM's stock, it's weathered the iPhone and Android; the investors holding on to RIM must be the grizzled vets ;)
    I remember the days of the first iPod...
    How I see people getting a ton of songs for $25 from iTunes Match:
    1. Pirate a bunch of songs
    2. Pay up for iTunes Match
    3. ???
    4. Profit!
    Unlike those bad old days....storage is indeed a plenty but data is expensive....therefore downloading is good!

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering the same thing -- are they essentially turning any song, no matter what source, into a legal copy for $25/year for an unlimited number of songs? That seems rather, uh, strange of a plan.

iMessage is proprietary, like FaceTime, isn't it? So that means I can message my iPhone and iPad friends, but my wife is using an Android phone, so I can't reach her.

Guess I'll stick with email. It's been working for me for decades and there's something good about standards.

When I ripped our 200+ CDs a few years back I ripped them in MP3 and loss-less FLAC format, so I wouldn't have to rip them ever again.

Wasn't too impressed with Lion and -- call me old-fashioned -- don't like the thought of not having an install disk. Without it I will now depend on Apple keeping the copy around for me as long as I need it, and they may have a different view on how long I should be able to use it. I guess I'll do a clean install of SL, then Lion, and then I'll take a clean backup of the machine for archive purposes.

Interesting to see the tight integration of iOS 5 and Twitter. Anyone think that Steve Jobs/Apple is going to buy Twitter to poke Google and it's broken "social" strategy in the eye?

8. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps its the RIAA's idea of an amnesty program. :rolleyes:
    Just like BBM but there are a lot more iDevices out there.

I'm right with you.Lion sounds like a bunch of fancy UI tweaks and nothing else.And at least the MBA comes with a flash drive of SL in it.

9. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and no. iMessage is integrated into the current SMS app. When you enter a number to text, iMessage first checks to see if that number is attached to a device running iOS5. If yes, iMessage. If no, SMS.

10. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or their way of getting lists of what everyone has downloaded to their computers. :confused:

11. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been waiting a long time for this. I have been a .mac and MobileMe subscriber for 5 years, and finally its going free.

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually MobileMe is going away altogether. iDisk and the gallery seem to be gone without replacement, and the rest of the features are just being rolled into the OS through iCloud.

Overall I don't think there's a lot of new stuff, believe it or not, coming out of iOS 5. Anybody that has a jailbroken device will tell you that the notification system needed replacement (Apple even hired Peter Hajas and with him came MobileNotifier). They basically stole Wi-Fi Sync from Greg Hughes after denying the app entry into the App Store and stole the reading-list feature from InstaPaper and added it to Safari.

Overall it's good to see all this stuff become part of the core OS, but it makes you wonder if Apple is just releasing mediocre stuff and seeing what developers come up with, then not-so gracefully integrating that into the OS and giving developers the shaft.

It's just plain old disingenuous IMO to tout all the innovations and magical/wonderful/beautiful features that come with the OS when a) they've been around for years and b) Apple didn't come up with them in the first place. :)

13. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good riddance... although i was hoping for a Dropbox feature.

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the gallery itself was actually pretty good... integrated into the OS so you could upload to albums from your phone and relatively easy to manage.

Now you have to either have everything on your phone, on your dropbox or somewhere. And not everybody wants to deal with facebook / flickr for their pictures. :)

15. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another thing i hope will be better is webmail when i`m using Win XP at work. It is so slow under Win Explorer... a true nightmare.

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eh... I don't know how to break it to you, but rumor has it iCloud won't be supported in XP. :)

If you look at the requirements, Windows 7 and Vista are explicitly mentioned, but nothing else.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

17. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not good... and no way i will get Win 7 at work anytime soon.

18. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    The sheeple think its an innovation( After all remember what a younger SJ said: "Pablo Picasso once said 'Good artists create, great artists steal* ' " ) :rolleyes:...at the same time I have to hand it to SJ for opening everyone's eyes to convergence.
    *I do understand that this is more of a "standing on the shoulders of giants" kind of quote but an interesting choice nevertheless.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a user of InstaPaper I would have rather seen integration with an established open service (InstaPaper) than the creation of a new one. I guess InstaPaper isn't popular enough yet, unlike Twitter, so Apple think they can just ignore it.

And if they come up with something useful, they sometimes get the shaft without Apple even bothering to "reuse" it.