WTC Construction

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by IMGone, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    My client has offices around the WTC site and I've spent more time in a hotel overlooking the construction than I care to remember ... over time, I've been taking photos of the work they've been doing and figure someone might find it of interest. There are enough tourists in the area in nice weather peeking through the gates and looking in from the Winterthur Garden at WFC to be sure.

August 2010 - the WTC Memorial is almost completely tiled (the two big squares deep squares)
    another week another view - wtc memorial fountains tile almost done for right side.jpg

December 2010 - the visitor center between the memorial fountains is taking shape (taken from opposite side of the construction site)
    13 dec wtc construction site.jpg

The construction of the first office building is moving along at the WTC Sites - the glass just started getting installed. They are doing a couple of floors at a time and making great progress. It's been fascinating to see the elevators and stairs, etc they use for the construction process.

21 dec one bldg at wtc site on way up.jpg

It's amazing how much is going on UNDER the site as well - this is on the WFC side of West Street - not sure what all is going on, but those guys are busy down there every day!
    21 dec wtc site on wfc side of west st.jpg

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    And one more picture of the new office tower being constructed -- you can see all the extra reinforcement being used in the construction process
    wtc 5 january - extra reinforcements.jpg

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pics!

So you can no longer see the subway station from above?

4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where would the subway be visible aboveground? The view down is near West Street, so I don't think there is a line right there, other than PATH in the vicinity.

There are two transportation hubs that I hope will be connected - one over near Broadway for all the subway lines, and the other as part of the WTC footprint where the PATH is. (I was surprised by how much is going to fit in the WTC footprint area)

5. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Fulton Street Station, which is supposed to become one of the biggest NYC subway transfer centers is a block away from the WTC... but there is a long corridor linking it under ground. My old job is doing some survey work on that project.

6. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    And construction continues .... a lot more glass is up on the windows as of early March

IMG_20110304_095805.jpg

Also a map of the WTC site plans

IMG_20110304_110346.jpg

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. I work right across the street and while it's impressive how fast it's moving now, we're a little worried about how reflective the glass is going to be... every once in a while when the light strikes it right, our office gets so bright that you want to wear shades.