WSJ weighs in on UAL merger (not a lot of new info) , Shares fiasco, etc..

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by js787, May 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. js787

js787 Silver Member

Status Points:
    HiIslands and perryplatypus like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you need to be a subscriber to read the entire article.

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just google the title of the story then click on the google link.

unavaca likes this.
  4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hint:
    Use the link to obtain the exact title of the article.
    Past the exact title into Google search.
    Start opening the search results items until you find one that gives you the whole article.
    Takes a little playing around with, but inevitably gives you the article.
    I just finished reading the OP's article. Interesting-- especially the comment section.

Casey Friday likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one was pretty funny...

CrazyMonkey, LETTERBOY and FlyingFree like this.
  6. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't care if the CEO isn't movie star material....hopefully he can keep the company financially sound in these challenging times, keep adding new aircraft and international routes, and maintain (and sometimes improve on) the best of the benefits for frequent flyers - like us!

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some of the best benefits, to me, is being able to get complimentary upgraded seats. Yes, you could say that E+ is an upgrade, but I am talking about to F. And what Smisek is doing is a complete turn-off to people who have been flying for a very long time with United.

chitownflyer, goalie and FlyingFree like this.
  8. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though we are all frequent flyers, we don't have identical priorities. I realize that many people are upset with the new policies for F upgrades (and I like getting upgraded to F as much as the next person!).

I too, want to maximize our FF benefits, but I also want a long term relationship with a financially stable company.

And, as much as I enjoy my benefits, I realize that they are not inalieanable rights, and there are many other companies that I have spent as much or more with than UA, who have never given me a single perk!

9. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say its accurate, for the most part.

Case study in change management

Personally this does not affect me because I am a former exCON flyer, so I already understand the CO system.

And prior to that, I was flying United, so I understand that system as well.

Personally, I am happy both are integrated, flying on two was a nightmare for me.

FlyingFree and desamo like this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree with you.

When I talk about upgrades and benefits, I usually summarize them as being "privileges."

And to veer from airlines for a moment, I go to businesses I feel confident in. Not necessarily for the best prices, but I take what I hear about atmosphere, customer service and business operations into account. Case in point: Costco. Sure, they have some really good deals with prices, and I don't think there's a big company out there that matches their customer service. That's why I give them the most of my business, but even with them there are some limits, and I will go to another store (usually Trader Joe's) for what I feel better suits my needs in terms of quantity and quality.

Now, go back to United Airlines. I too flew them for reasons beyond upgrades and miles. I felt confident with them being on top of things such as safety and general customer service. And I felt that's what Glenn Tilton delivered. The employees might have hated his management skills, but they at least had a common vision as to what United and Mileage Plus should be.

Today, I still believe that the legacy UA folks want to deliver the type of customer service they are known for. But Smisek's crew has come in and given them a deck of cards that does not allow them to do that. One could call that arrogance on Smisek's part, one could call it incompetence. Frankly, I don't care which you call it, but I know I don't call it United Airlines.

That's another thing -- I think it's a massive mistake to have left the United Airlines name out there. To change EVERYTHING but leave the same brand name out there is entirely misleading. It sets a level of expectation of the airline to be what it has been for the past many decades. Miles and upgrades aside, it is NOT United Airlines.

They set the bar high by claiming all of these "changes I think you're going to like." The people who have viewed these to most, ad nauseum, are us frequent fliers. Even this month's safety video stresses the importance of the customer being in control via web and apps. To this day, I still get these notifications saying I need to call UA and confirm my flight, and the iPhone app still sometimes tell me my flight does not operate today. (despite clicking directly from the "flight status" button on my itinerary).

I think what us frequent fliers have experienced and read throughout this and FT have been thoroughly vetted, so there's no use in going through the rest of it again.

I have very little confidence in United Airlines right now. I'll give them another few months to see if things change, or seem like they're going to change. If not, I'll switch allegiance to another airline that might not be perfect, but at least will not have such an arrogance as to what should be done and who knows how to keep customers happy.

11. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    a
    Another shining example would be ATT pre-Cingular. I used to be proud to say for about 30 years ATT & Amex were exemplary in customer service- customer relationship building and maintainance and loyalty both ways.
    And from early 19900s through most of 2000s-somewhat similar with United.To undo that so drastically & quickly for many(i know not all!) is quite astounding and a classic B School study for years to come.

goalie likes this.
  12. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA Customer Service was mortally wounded during the summer of 2000 and died the day UAL filed for bankruptcy.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  13. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that's about it. +1.

stephenbgarvan likes this.