WSJ-Rich? Have We Got the Credit Card for You

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by MyTravels, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    JUNE 28, 2011 - Wall Street Journal
    Rich? Have We Got the Credit Card for You

Some of the article high-points (not necessarily the best offers):

U.S. credit-card companies mailed 1.4 billion offers for new credit cards in the first quarter of 2011, a 69% jump from 826 million a year earlier

The newest crop of offers is aimed mostly at consumers with credit scores of more than 720 on the 850-point scale, or the top third.

Citigroup, the third-largest U.S. credit-card issuer, recently offered her a card with no annual fee for the first year and 50,000 frequent-flier miles on AMR Corp.'s American Airlines.

J.P. Morgan's Chase unit, already increasingly focused on affluent Americans, recently offered 100,000 frequent-flier miles to customers who qualified for a credit card co-branded with British Airways PLC. Card companies don't typically disclose acceptance data, but Chase was so pleased with the response to an earlier British Airways promotion that the New York bank decided to offer it again.

Chase's pitch for its Continental OnePass Plus card includes an immediate offer of 25,000 frequent-flier miles, with the potential for another 10,000 miles after the cardholder charges $25,000 a year.

Capital One earlier this month sweetened the pitch on its high-end Venture card, which already was paying double miles on all purchases. New customers now get 25,000 frequent-flier miles when they sign up for the card, up from 10,000 miles.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be clear, most of these offers are redeemable (bonus) miles, not status miles.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must be in the targeted marketing group. In the last few days I've had offers from Alaska Airlines, Bank of America , Capitol One, Discover Card, Hilton Honors and a couple others I've already tossed. The UA Visa 50K offer got my attention and I applied on line last weekend. Already have the card.

I had an offer from AA/Citi for 50K but there was no way I would meet the spending requirement for that to get half the miles posted in a fixed time period (25K up front and 25K after you met the spending requirement). I know there was a 75K offer but I don't need AA miles right now.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't believe they missed the 75k and 100k AA mileage promos. Cap one matched up to 100k on the personal and biz cards. Chase CO card was at 50k, maybe even higher?