WSJ: Hawaiian Air, Delta Spar Over Tokyo Flights

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Morning Everyone,
    I know there was discussion last week about United's bid (if that's the right word) for the slots if they remain unused and there have been discussion on last month's Tsunami impact on travel. As I recall, DL planned to restart service in June.

WSJ Article: Hawaiian Air, Delta Spar Over Tokyo Flights
    Hawaiian Airlines has alleged Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) may be using the aftermath of Japan's earthquake and tsunami as a "convenient excuse" to justify suspending flights to Tokyo's downtown Haneda airport.
    robin

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I've already welcomed you to MP, but welcome again.

If push comes to shove, I would expect DL to restart something to HND earlier, even with a 747, and cut capacity to NRT if necessary. I suspect the slots are valuable and worth taking a temporary loss to preserve. This could mean some good fares and award availability to Tokyo this spring and summer.

ryandc99 likes this.
  3. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I simply don't see the value in HND slots, at least for long-haul. Just how much time is saved? When you consider that time against a 10 hour flight, does it really matter? Even if it does, is it worth sub-optimal arrival or departure times? Or limited connection points? From the airline's perspective, is it worth operating routes that rely strictly on TYO O&D? I just don't see it being nearly as valuable as all this posturing suggests.

4. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I right in thinking tha Haneda is closer to central Tokyo, so that if Tokyo was your destination, Haneda would be preferred, but if you wanted to continue on in Asia, you would pick NRT?

Just give me an idea, lets same both mass transit and by car, how far are both airports to downtown?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, NRT is much farther and has the international connections (Haneda is good if you're connecting to an airport in Japan), but transportation depends on where in Tokyo you're going. Check the Friendly Limousine Bus schedules to see if your hotel is served from either or both airports and at what intervals.

So far, Haneda doesn't have many services like lounges, so I think I'd prefer to depart from NRT. Also, Haneda requires particular schedules for TPAC flights, which might not work for you,

Mike1625 likes this.
  6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep

Mike1625 likes this.