WSJ: DL Expected to Purchase 100 739ER's

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Aug 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Going head to head with WN?

rwoman, jmrich1432 and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least they're not MDs.

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    A large US based airline buying from a US based maker of airplanes..... dont see any surprise here.

Flyer1976, rwoman, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And WN just announced their plans for ATL; they are considering turning it into their largest location (currently LAS is their biggest).

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder how they'll be configured and what they'll be replacing. I imagine older 757s, which would be a downgrade, as the 757s are by far the best narrowbody first option in Delta's fleet. The privacy and easy of boarding and exiting afforded by the midcabin entry make a huge difference.

rwoman and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a crucial criterion for acceptance by DL elites will be the number of FC seats in these birds (and hence the chances for upgrades).

rwoman likes this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    More seats for kettles? ;)

Will this = slot restrictions in ATL? :p Of course, it'll make already busy traffic periods, which seem really crazy with thunder storms at times (been 30+ for take off before), more insane...:confused:

Of course, I do not envision giving WN business any time soon. ;)

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering AirTran already carries a comparable number of pax at ATL as WN carries at LAS, this is hardly shocking.

All things considered, I think the WN impact at ATL will be relatively limited compared to WN's impact at other airports (DEN, for example). Airtran already carries roughly 20% of the pax at ATL and has lower costs than WN. Moreover, DL already competes with WN at other airports and seems to be holding its own. DL has also done a decent job at reigning in costs and is in a better position to compete than in the past. There will be some adjustment, as DL is competing with a carrier with more reach and more resources, but this isn't the sea change that it might appear to be.

I suspect that this order is about slots, financing, capacity, and capability. I doubt politics had that much to do with it. Maybe 10-20 years ago, but I doubt it factors into the equation today.

I would think that they could just as easily increase traffic by up-gauging aircraft, which would have minimal impact on traffic levels. I would also note that the on-time performance of ATL really isn't that bad for a large airport.

Gargoyle and rwoman like this.
  10. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Some of the older 757's are running out of cycles, and some of the former NW Airbii are among the first built, so I would imagine they would be replacing some of these as well.

rwoman likes this.
  11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    WN has 224 flights a day at LAS. AirTran has 202 a day at ATL, WN plans plan to increase that number. It will only take a 10% increase to match LAS.

12. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't shoot me for asking this, but ----- can those new long range 739ER's make it from JFK to say Ireland/UK/France/Denmark?

13. travelgourmet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think that they could make it to the British Isles, but it would require auxiliary tanks and they might have trouble in the winter. France and Denmark seem a bit far.

I would think it would make more sense to simply outfit a few of these for the JFK-SFO/LAX service and free up some 752s for international runs, if that is what they needed. In general, I suspect that they have enough 752s capable of meeting any narrow-body TATL flights they might want to do in the near future. I would think that a replacement for that mission would likely follow on later.

14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    SunCountry has seasonal MSP-LGW service on 738s with a fuel stop in Gander. In 2010, they flew to STN...changed to LGW this summer.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What aircraft is used on the BA LCY TATL runs that stop for fuel in SNN westbound and do nonstop eastbound? Isn't it a 737 of some sort?

16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure it's an A318...I think that's the largest a/c that can fly in/out of LCY.

32 seats, all Club World, with a stop in SNN to clear US CBP and refuel..

Link

17. travelgourmet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct. It is an A318. FWIW, I believe it could make the return trip without refueling, but it can't take off from the short LCY runways with a full load of fuel, so it has to take off half empty and top up on the way.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my understanding also of the fuel requirements, although particularly bad headwinds or a long flight path might cause the flight to need an additional fuel stop on rare occasions.

rwoman likes this.
  19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    100 737's isn't enough to replace the whole 757 fleet, so I'm sure they'll have enough still lying around to use for these missions for a while longer...

DeltaExpert, rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  21. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
  22. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not when you pay for it with all the fees they tack on and the great purging of mileage off of their books due to the +72hr rule.

23. travelgourmet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is at list price. Nobody pays list prices. Looks like DL also got sweetheart financing from Boeing, making the deal even better financially.

In related news, it looks like Boeing may be re-engining the 737 (link). Curious whether some of the longer-term deliveries might change to the 737 "NEO" or if they consider a follow-on order, as they had been tossing around a 200 plane number earlier this year. If the Boeing revisions deliver similar efficiency gains as the A320 NEO, then these planes may be able to replace the 752s on some of the longer routes, like to/from Hawaii.

24. Scott Weinberg
    Original Member

Scott Weinberg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Soon the entire 757 will eventually to be retiring anytime soon. They're getting too old now. It's time to retired the entire 757 immediately. The 757-300 is here to stay for a long time. They are too young to retired the 757-300.

25. GoneFlying
    Original Member

GoneFlying Silver Member

Status Points: