WSJ Article Regareding Tentative US/AA Merger Plans

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Apr 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

Mr. Isom said the new American wants to have a few things ready to go the day after the deal closes. That includes putting signage in airports to direct customers if they try to check in at the other carrier’s counters, to train workers on the other airlines’ policies, gates and lounges, and have a single crisis plan in place in case of an accident or incident.

Soon after the merger closes, he said, the goal is to allow passengers to book flights on both carriers on a single itinerary and combine some operations in Fort Worth, which means bringing some employees from US Airways’ current headquarters in Tempe, Ariz. Within six months, the two hope to start moving their planes around, matching the size of the plane with the demand on a route. They also want to let passengers earn and redeem miles on the other carrier’s frequent-flier plan, and harmonize some product offerings such as food and beverages on board and align some passenger processing procedures, Mr. Isom said.

By a year after the merger’s closing, the two plan to move to one computer system and a single website, combine their operations centers and align employee procedures and manuals. The latter is required to win a single operating certificate from the FAA. Only then can the two join their workforces, mix and match aircraft and crews and offer a single passenger experience.

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they can get to this point they'll have done something US was never able to do with AmericaWest. I give that a low, low chance of happening without at least one of the relevant employee groups across the three carriers from throwing a complete tantrum.

zphelj, Aktchi, garyst16 and 2 others like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet that'll happen as soon as the AA unions realize Dougie won't be able to afford the money he's promised them.

zphelj, Mike Reed and Scottrick like this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or makes them work for it.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I was talking to an AA FA today about things. She said that after the merger happens, there will be another solicitation from the airline for early retirement.

Of course this one FA doesn't represent however many thousands of FAs there are, but she said a lot of senior FAs are talking about taking the deal.

Speculation, but information nonetheless.

Max M likes this.
  6. Stripy

Stripy Active Member

Status Points:
    This seems strange. We've been led to believe that a large percentage of the FAs really didn't like the now outgoing AA management and we know that Parker made deals with the unions (one of which was the FA's union) that gave them concessions they really wanted.....so why consider early retirement now? Why didn't these senior FA's jump ship when the management they detested gave them a way out with the package offered earlier this year (or was it late last year?). Now that they appear to be getting the management they want I just don't understand why early retirement is more appealing than it was before.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because they're still going to be staff heavy with folks in upper pay bands and its easier to lump sum them out and reduce operational costs with newer, cheaper employees.

For current FA's this means working with newer, more junior, less experienced folks - more hassle and likely more work.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Stripy

Stripy Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree...but that's a reason to offer the early retirement and not a reason for FA's to suddenly think it's a good idea.

True, but this isn't new news. The last round of early retirements were offered by AA specifically to reduce the age of their employees and therefore reduce wages.... so the FA's knew all this at the time. What's changed that now it's a good idea to take the early retirement offer when it wasn't a good idea under, supposedly less favorable management, before?

Either the FA cited by the OP is just making idle conversation and this isn't how things are at all or something doesn't add up (to me at least).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or they're sorry they didn't take the offer before.

In general I think it's like everywhere else - 3 people, 4 opinions.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FA said that many senior FAs "don't like the direction the airline is going." She personally said that she is sticking around. Though, she speaks a foreign language and might be in a little better position. I would say this FA was in her early 30s (I'm intentionally being vague on her identity).

My guess, and that's all it is....a guess, is that the earlier round of early retirements was to make the books look a little better for US.

Another guess is that those senior FAs might have a general perception of Doug Parker similar to what many people here and Flyertalk have, and are speculating on what Parker may or may not do.

About 90% of what we're talking about when it comes to the merger is pure speculation. Things like the seat increase comes from SEC filings, so that's legit info. But the rest is mostly speculation.

But, as I've said before, Doug Parker's group would be fools to not at least learned something from United's merger failures.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you're saying, then, that we should expect an exact repeat of the United merger? :)

zphelj and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP will need to get a bigger server!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    TOBB will probably explode! :D

Mike Reed and flyforawg like this.