WOW!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TravelBear, Jun 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just found these forums and well, it's a bit overwhelming! I started a points plan about a year ago and thought I was doing well with over 72k points but you all make me look like a complete amateur!

So, late last year I decided I wanted to start traveling more as I had kind of taken a break. Chase Sapphire card was in high rotation on TV adds and it looked good so I got one. Now this is not a Preferred card afaik. I have a USair and Delta miles account with 34k and 12k respectively. Oh, i have a USair mastercard that I applied for with one of those inflight offers.

I use the Chase card for almost everything, very little I don't put on it. I do not use the USair MC at all. Should I have the preferred card over my apparent generic one?

I don't have lofty goals with this, but I do want more cheap travel! If any of this makes sense and anyone can start to steer me in a better direction it would be appreciated.

Andyandy, wrxmom, SC Flier and 17 others like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint neighbor! (I live in Weaverville).

My first advice is to remember that we all have to start somewhere, and we are all learning. When I discovered online forums and bogs about travel and miles and points, I had a similar mileage total as you do. Two years later I have about a million miles and points and virtually all my travel these last two years has been free. So, yes it is possible to travel widely for very little $$.
    Take your time to formulate goals, do research and ask questions. We are a friendly bunch here, and you'll get lots of help.

wrxmom, Flying Bat, jbcarioca and 9 others like this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint.

If you're using the Chase Sapphire everywhere, you probably have many points and need some way to use them.

If you've never had the Sapphire Preferred before, you can get it as a second card and still get the bonus of (right now) 40,000 points for $3,000 spending in 3 months. (You could upgrade the card, but then you might not get the bonus.) With the Preferred, you can transfer all the points (Ultimate Reward points, abbreviated here as UR points) you've earned on the regular Sapphire over to the Preferred and then to United, Amtrak, Hyatt, and other partners. Most veterans on the board will argue that transferring to frequent flier programs is a better redemption than using the bank's own points.

And with the Chase Freedom, which has no annual fee and rotating categories, you can earn 5x points on rotating categories. Right now, the categories are grocery stores and movie theaters. The categories are restaurants and gas from July 1st to September 30th. You can then transfer these points over to your Sapphire Preferred, and then to the airlines/hotels.

The blogs also have some beginner guides out there to help people just getting into the chase.
    For example:

http://millionmilesecrets.com/new-to-miles-points-start-here/

jbcarioca, Kalboz and aptraveler like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    In short... probably yes. Non Preferred can not transfer to United/Southwest/Korea & Hyatt/Marriot/Priority Club. But it depends on you're trying to do... =) US airways isnt a bad card ... but it seems the go to points everyone loves here is the SPG & UR since they're so versatile

---
    And yeah I'm in the same exact boat as you. Feb 2012... ~2500 VX points & ~1500 SPG points from work related travel. Fast Foward to now June 2012 ~325k points, spread out between mostly SPG, UR, Hilton, Southwest, Carlson, etc.

5. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

Flying Bat, jbcarioca, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

One of the basics that sometimes takes people a while to grasp is that there are two completely separate types of miles- RDM's (redeemable miles, the ones you earn all sorts of ways and can redeem for flights, hotel rooms, magazines, gift cards, etc.) and EQM's (Elite Qualifying Miles, the accounting that determines your status level with the airline). After a while, for many of us, EQM's become much more important than RDM's. They give you important perks- express lines, free luggage allowance, upgrades, and you also earn RDM's at a much higher rate when you achieve status.

7. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard TravelBear!

My friends consider me the travel-obsessed guru. You all just consider me one more member. But after having done this for 8-9 years, I simply can't believe where this has all taken me.

It started with FlyerTalk and morphed into MP, a kinder and gentler path to knowledge. My gratitude goes out to Gary Leff, Brian (The Points Guy), Ben (OneMileAtATime) and the newest fanatic, Daraius of MillionMileSecrets. Most days, I'm either reading or planning the next trip.

Next week we're off to Moscow with a return from Copenhagen after a cruise - all on BA First Class (God bless the Companion Pass!). October is Cancun First Class. January is Cathay First to Bangkok with a stopover in Hong Kong on the return. April is First to Scottsdale, May First to Palm Springs and getting ready to plan June in Portugal - Business over and First back on BA again. All in all, this one year will set me back over 900,000 miles but again, thanks to what I've learned here, there's plenty more where that came from.

Take your time, soak it all up, decide what works for you, be a bit daring and like Dr Seuss, you too will soon be writing about "Oh The Places You'll Go"!!!!

Cdnblue, Andyandy, kw335 and 9 others like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard Teddy! :)

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to our crazy little world :)

Maybe tell us a bit about what your travel goals are. Where you'd like to go, what experiences are important to you. E.g., is it more important for you to travel a lot or in extreme comfort?

12. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to the world of points.

You will find a lot of information here and on various bloggers sites (some of which were mentioned above). You will find that if you do the proper research, you will be able to dramatically increase your points in no time at all. The first key is looking at what your goals are. Is it more important to take more trips in premium class aircraft or more trips in coach? Do you want to stay in locations where there are "aspirational" hotels (Bora Bora, Paris etc.) or do you prefer to stay at lower cost hotels?

The most important question is: Have you looked at your credit reports and how is your score? Playing with credit cards is not for people that have low credit scores.

How long have you had your US Air card? You might consider "churning" the card. It is one of the few cards that you can get multiple times and still get the sign up bonus.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truer words have never been spoken! That right there was my edification: Because I am a frequent very-long-distance traveler, earning the EQMs and then top elite status as a frequent-flyer opened the floodgate to RDMs, which I have used to travel to far away places, some with strange-sounding names, almost for free.

My other avenue of RDMs is that Chase has always been my primary bank, so that I simply started using my United Airlines Chase CCs for every purchase, even trivial ones, which provides me with a daily source of RDMs. The results is that I have a Chase ATM card that looks brand new because of under-use...

Welcome to MilePoint, TravelBear!

15. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome TravelBear!
    It does seem a bit overwhelming at first, but take your time and scan the forums for "newbies" as well as checking the "what's new" tab as often as possible. You'd be surprised at the accessibility of all the information here.
    I'm not in the US so can't comment on CC's but you're definitely on the right track by being on the forums and starting with posts. Interaction is the best way to learn. Definitely also check out the blogs. They have lots of info in easily organized categories:
    • The Points Guy
    • View from the Wing
    • One Mile at a time
    • Million Mile Secrets
    • Frugal Travel Guy
    • Mommy Points
    • MilesQuest
    • The Frequent Miler
    • The Wandering Aramean.
    I guess I can go on for ages about all the great blogs out there, but if you subscribe to the ones above in an RSS reader, you will surely get a great start into this awesome miles & points world...

16. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on how much you spend per year, you should consider shifting spend to your US airways mastercard.

After spending $25k in 1 calendar year on the card, you get 10,000 preferred qualifying miles. You need 25,000 preferred qualifying miles to get silver status on US Airways (1 free checked bag, along with priority boarding and check-in that you already get, plus my favorite part, space available upgrades). Upgrades at the lowest tier is tricky, but on Saturdays / mid week when there is low business travel, your chances are quite good on US.

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've used my Delta AMEX for purchases as small as two cents. :p

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, that is what I'd call taking point/mile-chasing into uncharted territory!:D

aptraveler, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The Delta Amex also gives qualifying miles; you can get a 5000 EQM (which are called MQM's in the Delta lingo) for signup,, 10000 for the first $25k spend, and 10000 for the second $25k spend.
    Also, I believe the non DL Reserve Amex can give you MQM's at different levels- 10k for signup, 15k each at the $30k and $60k levels, along with lounge access and a rebate on the fee for the Global Entry program. I'm sure other cards can also earn unusual benefits. You'll find discussions here to help guide you to the cards/programs that fit your needs best.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  20. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Mile Point!

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you interacting with a human or a machine? ;)

22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    machine, a copy machine at kinkos, it would only accept card payments and that machine wasn't linked for payments to humans at the register.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course it was a machine. Would a human accept a card from a chunk of stone? :oops: they would...

aptraveler and Gargoyle like this.
  24. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    deant - How long are you waiting to churn the US Airway cc? Do you need to actually cancel the card?

deant likes this.
  25. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My understanding is that you can churn this card every 4 to 6 months. Key is to not have too many new enquiries and some long term accounts on the credit report. Also, one of the keys for me is that they use TransUnion instead of Experian.

Love your "picture". Even with the sanctions, we have a great future. LK and crew have done a fantastic job recruiting. Their strategy has worked great so far.