WOW, We now have mods...

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by vbroucek, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sad moment of MiPo just materialised. Much earlier than I expected. We now have mods and they act in the same fashion as they do on FT. They pick someone, delete his/her posts and send him reprimanding e-mail. I was just notified that two of my posts responding to rude and continuing attacks by one member were removed. Interestingly this member's posts (including citations of my posts) are were still there. My argument that I was merely defending myself was dismissed...

Edited: later on, the other posts have been removed too... So at least there was some fairness in the moderation...

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that's sad moments and we need some kind of orders in any community. The admins are just doing their jobs and act appropriately when needed :)

3. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion, good community works well without moderators or dictators. If community needs them then something is rotten in such a community…

charlilo likes this.
  4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    What else was expected? A free for all?

kwai, JDiver, Cholula and 1 other person like this.
  5. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not terribly shocking that mods would be needed, they are needed on FT and this crowd has a number of the same actors... Nothing wrong with having them just hopefully they don't need to do very much work here.

Travelman and peteropny like this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's been moderators at the House of Miles since the day this beta site went live. I've seen some unacceptable posts deleted in the first few days and I'm glad they're on top of things. What makes Milepoint different is that you don't have a contingent of over one hundred volunteer moderators, with different perspectives on what is acceptable and what is not, and instead it's based out of the House of Miles and regulated there. Let's give it a chance to work.

Tom in Killarney

7. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    My problem is that either they should have stepped in several days ago or never. Once they left the thread deteriorate to the point of ICT professionals being insulted by laymen, they should not punish those professionals for defending themselves.

Travelman likes this.
  8. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps if people refrained from making personal attacks and get back to the point of this thread then the moderation would be limited.

kwai, flyingdawg, kingalien and 6 others like this.
  9. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was naive to think that a site with this much traffic and pending membership would be able to operate without some sort of intervention/moderation.

I'm not suggesting that the model that operates on FT is by any means perfect - and I know Randy and the team want to take a different approach to moderation, but unless you want the site descending into total anarchy, moderation is the only option (however you cut it and whatever way you implement/manage it).

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as moderation is done with fairness, transparency and accountability, I have no problems with moderation.

Given the wide variety of posters and their diverse styles, there is a need for some vetting of posts.

It was inevitable that the moderation be introduced....otherwise the site is heading for anarchy à la Lybia

11. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Perhaps a little known fact is that ⅔ rd's of a forum moderator's job is removing the 1,000's of SPAM messages that are posted each day on a major IBB. If you don't see SPAM here.....and I have yet to see any.....it's not because the Spammers haven't found this place, trust me. It's because some moderators are busily working behind the scenes removing it and, in most cases, before it's even visible to the general membership.

The majority of the remaining ⅓ of the job is helping newbies find their way around the forums, greeting new members, editing thread titles for better clarity (I can't tell you how many thread titles are "What Do You Think About This??or "I Have A Thought...."), moving threads to a better location, etc. Very, very little time, thankfully, is spent breaking up fights and penalizing members. But that stuff does happen and a major IBB needs folks who can step in and arbitrate.

In reality a moderator functions much more like a janitor than a cop.

kwai, taiwaned, bluesky and 21 others like this.
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said....perhaps janitor should be added to the poll for what name should be given to the moderator function.

flyingdawg, bbbb, Travelman and 5 others like this.
  13. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? Not to be rude but how many forums have you posted on since the Internet really took off (access in almost every home)? While I personally have only posted in around 10, it never ceases to amaze me how some people act on the web. Not you specifically but in general. People often act worse than they would in public b/c of the whole anonymous thing.

Complaining about the need for mods being a reflection of something not being right is not valid. I am pretty sure that Randy and HOM wants to have a great forum but they cannot limit membership ( well they could but that isn't the point). They also cannot control every posters words let alone tell them what to post. Having mods here is a good thing for everyone and the negative thinking about said mods is just unfair. Give them a chance instead of assuming the job they are doing is somehow evil or underhanded.

Having modded on another site for almost seven years, I know enough about what it takes and am willig to cut them some slack here. You can't always delete/edit several posts at one time depending on the software.

Another thing to note, it is not always that important to defend yourself if someone is clearly baiting you into an argument. By not responding you have chosen to be true to yourself and not let the other person get the better of you. Is that easy? No, not at all but also consider if arguing with someone is worth your reputation.

bluesky, Aktchi, JDiver and 3 others like this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is spot on ... just because someone else is trying to be an *ss or a jerk does not mean you have to rise to the bait. Thanks for bringing this up! [​IMG] I think the more we ignore such posts and posters, they will hopefully go away; however than does not preclude the need for moderation of some sort to clean up things that have become totally out of hand and to keep threads and forums useful for veterans and newbies.

15. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Chic Silber Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thought is that only profanity & personal profit items

need be deleted & that could be done by machine

16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have been promised a super duper ignore function. The bad cats will have to argue with themselves.

17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    No such thing as a bad cat - DOH! You have soooo much to learn old one! ;)

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  18. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad the mods remove the spam...just don't blame Monty Python!

A little Sunday humor.

19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spam spam spam spam Spam spam spam spam Spppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm Wonderful Spam!

savydog likes this.
  20. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like good sundae humor:
    [​IMG]

21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wrong flavour! But not bad in a pinch! ;)

22. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of those ice cream bars with the candy thingy inside, what in the name of Good Humor were they called? [​IMG]

23. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am dying for Ice Cream!

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer DQ.

Cholula and DenverBrian like this.
  25. That's the best approach;if people use the ignore function they will not feel the need to retaliate against a post they feel offends them. That will be a training function for the admin of this board.

flying-gal likes this.