Wow! Help, AA! 15,000 miles VANISHED overnight!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, this is a weird one. Yesterday morning I noticed that 15,000 miles from a Nov. 8 donation to the U.S.O. had credited to my AAdvantage account, and I even posted a thread saying that I was impressed they did that before the Dec. 1 MM change, since they legally had 8 weeks to post them but only took about three (though that MM cutoff wouldn't really have affected me personally). Later in the day, I even got an e-mail from American with a tracking number saying those miles had posted effective 11-29. Thankfully, I kept the e-mail and the tracking number.

This morning they were gone. Vanished. No trace. So I called AAdvantage, the dude there couldn't see those miles either, finally reached his supervisor, who said she had had a call yesterday from somebody else about the same problem. He basically had to send an e-mail to their troubleshooters, and told me to expect an email back in about a week.

He acted like he believed me all along, particularly after his supervisor said she had had another call, and he had little doubt I would eventually get the miles, but still - ugh.

Anybody ever lost so many miles without a trace before?

(After he finished his e-mail to the troubleshooter, I asked him off the record if he thought this could be tied to posting the miles before or after the MM cutoff, though we both could see that really didn't affect me. He didn't think so, but who knows?)

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bizarre. A FF account should work just like a financial account, with debits and credits ensuring there is an audit trail for any activity.

alohastephen likes this.
  3. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're not alone.
    As reported on TOBB, others are having the same issue.

alohastephen likes this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, miamigrad. I found Milepoint last summer when doing a Google search to find out if anybody else was having bureaucratic administrative problems with Hyatt Gold Passport (yes), joined it at that point, and have been active since. As a Johnny-come-lately, I never even knew much about TOBB before that, until reading snipes about it on MP, and based on those snipes decided not to start. So I need "radar" guys like you!

5. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad you're here. We're the cool ones. ;)

Mike

6. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the OP: I'm pretty sure it's an enhancement. After all, look at the email I got from AA:

Mike

*This was a joke and only a joke. Had it been a real email, you would have been disturbed by the sound of my head repeatedly banging against a wooden door.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Most of the same information on both sites, though FT admittedly has more activity. Many people on the AA MP forum also post on the FT AA forum. It's all a bit convoluted.

alohastephen and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I didn't see the itsy-bitsy, tiny little type at the bottom of that post about it being a joke, and I absolutely hit the ceiling! All sorts of problems -- ranging from why I didn't get the e-mail to why it didn't distinguish between removing miles from the account and from the MM balance. And why they didn't capitalize "Gold" and "Platinum" with their little trademark symbol thingies.

I was going NUTZ!!!!

Then, only after I hit "reply," I read your tiny little footnote. 50 push-ups, dude! Now! And add on another 25 for saying "in the last week of December" when you meant "November" in your little forgery. Have a nice day :)

9. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Apologies for the confusion, kansaskeith! We are aware of an issue and are currently working on a fix. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, American! As of Friday morning, the 15,000 "vanished" miles are bAAck! And, for MM purposes (no real effect on me, but maybe on others), they show a November transaction date. While obviously we wish they hadn't gone away without a visible trace to us yesterday, I will say that American acted quite quickly to fix the problem. The help I received here on Milepoint, and the very professional and helpful conversation I had with an AAdvantage phone rep yesterday, are both much appreciated.

miles and smiles, Mike Reed and zpaul like this.
  11. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    All - quick update for anyone still experiencing issues with their USO miles.

As mentioned previously we learned that there were some technical errors in the USO postings in November. These errors have now been fixed for the donations that were made on November 8 – 11, and the original November transaction dates have been retained. Therefore, these transactions all count toward the member’s Million Miler balance.

USO donations made on November 7 encountered a separate issue which has not yet been corrected. We expect this to be fixed soon and the miles earned will also count toward Million Miler status.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by these technical errors and want to assure our members that their generous contributions to the USO are being correctly rewarded!